....got stung by the 'WASZP'?..OD foiler...

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
You will just have to wait until its ready.

AMAC is a brilliant engineer and designer but not a marketting type. With Bladerider his engineering was overwelmed by the marketting side of the business, and in the end the business failed due to cost compromised poor engineering after he left the partnership. With Mach2 the marketting side of the business has been minimal and the engineering and manufacturing has been excellent. Its been an infinately more successful venture.

I am sure he wants the WASZP to follow the Mach2 model not the Bladerider model.

We will not see it until he is happy it is right.

Yah00

Seems to me a $15k mid–fleet foiler is competing for sales with cast–off Mach2s. Current Mach2 owners might delay replacement with new if they can't get the right price. Someone may not be happy about that.

Clever marketting and pricing required… probably some head scratching around supply and demand curves (all hypothetical of course).

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
DSC_1063a.jpg

First WASP photo courtesy of AMAC

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
Things that make you go mmmm......

Looks like there are no shrouds or forestay. Interesting wishbone boom. Is the stem really concave or is that just the angle the shot is taken.

Finally, where are the navigation lights..... :ph34r:

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
I have only seen the photo not the boat, just like the rest of you. The unstayed mast obviously is a different section and bends differently to other moth masts so it might take a few tests and recuts to get the sail right. But it does look light and lumpy.

I expect that the depth control will still be luff tension like an M2 rig. I do not expect too many controls, this is meant to be a simple budget boat for teenagers.

Munter

Sydney
Stupid question: how do you straighten the leach with a wishbone boom? I mean, what does the job of the kicker?
Well you can sometimes adjust the mast height position of the boom to result in more vertical downforce at the clew but that only has marginal range.

Given the lengthy gestation period and his previous projects, I'm pretty confident that amac will have some sort of solution.

Munter

Sydney
Going stayless significantly changes the structural loadings of the wings and mast stump area. I doubt you could just drop a stayless rig on an existing hull/wings and expect it to hold together.

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
It still looks like a moth (at least a 21st century moth) because it is a moth. Same size. Can still be measured and raced as a moth. But its not a Mach2, same designer, same factory but different hull shape, foils, and wings and mostly different materials. A bit heavier and a lot less money.

If they can sell enough WAZPs to enough teenagers they might have a new class. But until then expect to see WAZPs at Moth regattas.

More from AMAC soon, especially at Foiling Week.

Latest posts