....got stung by the 'WASZP'?..OD foiler...

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
Any other user updates / reviews from folks? Getting ready to order mine for summer 2018 on Lake Erie. First on Lake Erie, maybe? Would love a few more reviews to read!!
Not an owner, but had the chance to spend some time with a Waszp.

Killer boat, never even considered buying a moth as I have no interest in the arms race, happy to sacrifice speed for the 1D nature of the boat.

Super weird moving from being a multi sailor and not really a dinghy sailor (14' cats, F18's T-cats, 24' tri's and 32' cats) and keelboats.

Helming was a bit tough (haven't been on the stick end in 2 years), but after half and hour was pretty honed in (wasn't too much to adjust to). 

Main sheet was just fucked up light, I honestly couldn't believe how light the sheet load was, I felt like I almost couldn't let it out/pull it in fast enough, that took a little to adjust to (maybe not a bad thing though as I expected it to be a lot more physical than it was).

Boat seemed really nice to rig up, definitely a few kinks to sort out (a couple of pins stick out awkwardly and can catch things, and a pocket/gap was in exactly the right spot to stick the tiller end...) but it was nice and fast to be on the water (think like Hobie 16 quick).

Tacks and Gybes were miserable my my accord (I've never sucked so hard, that'll be a fun learning curve).

Boat was surprisingly comfortable, except for the toe straps, seriously WEAR BOOTS or just replace them, the factory straps are heinous, my feet looked like a paint by numbers (as I prefer barefoot sailing). It really didn't seem so physical, a little flexibility needed, and willingness to swim and take a few hits, but nothing too hard.

Took 5 mins to foil, 30 mins to be consistently foiling (no good manoeuvres though), I wish a knew a few pointers like... literally only sail the boat with WW heal, do not let it fly to leeward, don't hike to hard and play the sheet with the utmost attention. But the WW heal was hard for me to grasp at first >.< but I got there pretty quick and had a blast, 10/10 will do it again. Unsure about long term ownership myself as I do find I prefer 2 man sailing to solo. Could definitely spend a month sailing everyday with a group of people and then do a big event, that would be 11/10! 

Some of the most fun I've had sailing whilst also being not that great.

17mika

Anarchist
Milan, Italy
I had the chance to properly sail one toda for a coyple of hours.

I am pleased to say that if felt way better than what I remebered from last year. Everything works smoothly and boat is enjoyable. End of 2017 improvements also make wingbars feel a bit more stiff.

It is not much harder to foil gybe than a moth and takeoff at my weight (65kg) is pretty good. If I were a heavy guy who does not race I would definitely go for the big foil though.

Only thing which I really did not like is that the rudder has waaaaaaay to much lift; it felt like going back to the bladerider days, with insane ventilations in cold water and with huge adjustments needed shen bearing away.

Overall it was pretty fun

JMF

France
Hi,

I have a bit odd question. I have to add bvladdes to my moth and would like to know how the Waszp bladder pockets are done. I looked at the assembly instructions and did not found the information.

Is the bladder in the same "pocket" as the wing side tube, or in a dedicated pocket ?

From where do you introduce the bladder ?

Is the pocket open to the back, toward the tramp lashing ?

From where do you inflate the bladder ?

Is it easy to install the bladder in the pocket ?

I have real issues about too low side floatation and really need to improve this.

Best regards,

JM

JMF

France
There are a set of trampolines and bladders called cruiser wing tramps and bladders these increase flotation markedly.  

Check out the waszp shop for info;

https://www.kasail.com/waszp/view/2089

WZWTPJB - Junior Bladder part #
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I don't want to buy Waszp tramps. I want to modify my old ones on my Ninja Moth. Waszp tramps seem well engineered and optimized as of fabrication. I looked for inspiration for my design and I have no Waszp nearby.

JMF

ASA

Bladders are in a dedicated pocket. WASZP's have 3 types, internal, external and cruiser. 

JMF

France
Thanks for the confirmation about separate pockets. I was interested by the internal model design.

Best regards,

JMF

Nsands

Australia
Looks like the WASZP's had big fun on Garda for their Euro's. 63 boats. 

https://www.facebook.com/waszpgames/

36487228_310245126182129_8824102513989910528_o.jpg

17mika

Anarchist
Milan, Italy
I was assisting on a rib on saturday. They looked good when there was enough breeze. Good racing with a mix of lowriding and foiling. I still believe boats would be better off with a bigger mainfoil to have better flying time, but I was surprised to see a couple of actual foiling tacks from the top guys; impressive!

I was told sunday was glam and thursday and friday were shit.

Overall a lot of young guys in there, and that has to be a great result for amac, since getting the kids on the foils was the whole point of the new class for him.

ASA

Was an awesome week at the Euros, fantastic culture has been developed amongst the sailors and it has a real inclusive beach culture feel to it. Sounding like there will be a solid Euro contingent heading to Perth in 2019 (hopefully nudge over 100 boats) next year and with timing for next years Europeans more in-line with the holiday period we could expect 100 boats there as well. 

The standard has definitely lifted accross the fleet with the French, GBR and Norwegian teams improving considerably. 1st day was a glass out, 2nd day was marginal and 3/4th days glamours!

All the videos and images WASZP Games Facebook

sail(plane)

Anarchist
Somebody knows where is an active waszp forum? This one is kept alive by SA regulars but not many posts by actual waszp owners

Yeah I guess I could just google it

barney

Can someone give me the measurements of the main and rudder horizontal foils? New big main foil looks quite a bit bigger. Anyone has the span of that?

Thanks