Grain Surfboard Project

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
is your missus naturally pessimistic or is her worry driven by empirical data?
Data. Sample:

For about three years, 2006-2009, my oldest son and I renovated three old house. On the first one, we built a nice little Craftsman-style shed roof over the kitchen door. Late Sunday afternoon, I was trying to nail the plywood sheathing from a ladder and really smashed my finger with my hammer: an explosion of blood. Emergency Room!! 

Think about what I could do with a draw knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Amati

Sculpting with 30 grit on a belt sander is highly underrated.....harder to draw blood, but connective tissue might stretch some.....

Last edited:

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
Sculpting with 30 grit on a belt sander is highly underrated.....harder to draw blood, but connective tissue might stretch some.....
Go for the meaty bits first, if you can see through the haze you can start on the brainbucket.

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
I've smacked lots of digits - just last weekend I put both hands nearly out of commission within hours - I've just never drawn blood with just a hammer.

It always took an edge of some sort.
I have cut myself so many times, that's fuck all...but there's nothing like hitting yourself with a blunt object so hard that you bleed.

Signed: survivor.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
The 80 grit flap wheel is kinda nice too.

pre tiller.jpg

A

Amati

I have cut myself so many times, that's fuck all...but there's nothing like hitting yourself with a blunt object so hard that you bleed.

Signed: survivor.
We have been allowed by our Creator to invent many things (to paraphrase LF Herreshoff  :) )  that can hurt like hell......

A

Amati

This is not a sailing topic, but it's watercraft and I hope it will be interesting.

I like to surf. I have never been very good, but my three sons are pretty good. Anyhow, for my recent 70th, the three boys and my daughter got me a Grain Surfboard kit. Grain is in Maine, and they build hollow wood boards. They also sell kits that are cut with CNC machines. Here's their homepage: https://www.grainsurfboards.com/

I think they're beautiful, and I think most of you will agree. My oldest son lives locally, and has a custom cabinet making business, and he was the ringleader. So we'll be building this at his place over the winter. I think we're going to need about a thousand spring clamps. My plan is to take some pics as we build this log, and share our progress on this thread. That (and SJB) will put a little pressure on my lazy ass.

They selected the 8' Steamer. I'm more used to a 9' board, but this is supposed to be a better float. That will motivate me to drop 10 pounds, and get out on my paddle board more.

View attachment 294986
A boy can never have enough clamps.

guerdon

Anarchist
I was using a converted vacuum/blower to clean off carbon dust, marveling at my safety grill ingenuity as I hand held the beast.  The grill fell off, my hand went into the impeller it was shredded and mashed in a jiffy,  plus the hand was coated with a glass/carbon glaze.  Not my finest hour.  About a month later I was feeding our fussy cat and refluffed his food, came into the kitchen to wash off my finger.  My sweet child [age 27] freaked out at the sight of flesh falling off my hand.  I cooly completed hand washing.  Cat food finger is now my new nickname.

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
What exactly happened to your hand, and at the sink?

I was using a converted vacuum/blower to clean off carbon dust, marveling at my safety grill ingenuity as I hand held the beast.  The grill fell off, my hand went into the impeller it was shredded and mashed in a jiffy,  plus the hand was coated with a glass/carbon glaze.  Not my finest hour.  About a month later I was feeding our fussy cat and refluffed his food, came into the kitchen to wash off my finger.  My sweet child [age 27] freaked out at the sight of flesh falling off my hand.  I cooly completed hand washing.  Cat food finger is now my new nickname.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
You refluff your cat's food with your finger...a month after a serious failure with a hand held blower. Fascinating. 

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Things are progressing, albeit very slowly. Tim (my oldest son, the ringleader) and I finished the "rocker table" today. It's kind of like the strongback for building a wooden boat, very crucial to a well-formed surfboard. Next weekend, we will glue up the cedar planks for the deck of the board.

image.png