Grainger R42 - 12.8mts Performance Cruiser Trimaran

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
Anyone know anything about this toy. It sure looks good but none built or sailing yet. It looks to have a drivers seat in the back. I could strap in and not worry about flying off the boat. :)  
http://www.catsailingnews.com/2017/10/grainger-rs42-128mts-performance.html

GraingerRS42Trimaran_05.jpg

It's a cool boat, nice to see some new Grainger trimaran designs progressing to build, Jamie Morris will inject some artistry into the build I often look at pictures of Cutloose and admire his work there, gorgeous boat and I'm sure this will be no different.  From a personal perspective I would have liked to have had an aft cabin on a boat this size but I get that many people would prefer the extra cockpit space. 

tp#12

On the water
Jason on board Spirit visited Boatworks and saw this recently. I had a messenger chat with him briefly. It was on the same trip he saw Bullfrog and posted his video on that.

I know he posts on here, perhaps he might have some comments/pics?

Last edited by a moderator:

trispirit

World
We managed to talk with Jamie Morris the builder of Venom and made a little video.  If your interested in seeing some more of her please follow the link  R42 Venom

boardhead

Anarchist
The aft beam on my 40’ tri with 16 layers top, 14 layers bottom, continuous from ama bottom to ama bottom, 36’ long bands, 8” wide over a solid 6 and 3 1/2 pound density foam core came out around 270 pounds using uni glass, including the fairings.

I thought that was light, the whole boat goes sailing at 5,600 pounds.

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
The aft beam on my 40’ tri with 16 layers top, 14 layers bottom, continuous from ama bottom to ama bottom, 36’ long bands, 8” wide over a solid 6 and 3 1/2 pound density foam core came out around 270 pounds using uni glass, including the fairings.

I thought that was light, the whole boat goes sailing at 5,600 pounds.
Is your forward beam chopped to allow passage through the bulkhead? I know it's common, but I like seeing a bulkhead on either side of a beam, even if partial a bulkhead. I have no idea how the forward beams are tied into this boat, so I shouldn't be commenting. It seems like a cool boat and the structure was well shown in the video. Be nice to shoot the next video during lunch break or whatever they call that in Australia.

boardhead

Anarchist
No, both beams are continuous, my wife and everybody else, has to duck under but I would not compromise the filament continuity.

The front beam ties in with the daggerboard case  and the curved to match bulkhead beneath, you can see how it goes together on the video Wess posted about my boat.

If you are interested quiz me there so we are not stomping on somebody else’s subject.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
woodruffkey said:
Ha thats Funny.

9.6 meter BOA gives a beam section weight of 4.5 kg per meter for a 42 ft boat. 

The shrouds are attached to the floats .

I call BULLSHIT even if made out of unobtainium.

The Carbon flange off cut they hold up to the beam lets us do a quick rough calc on the weight of the flanges alone

scaling  off using the guys hand,and I'm seeing 70 kg just there.

Were only being fed half the story here.

Doesn't anyone remember Graingers last efforts with a tri this size.

The floats fell off. Twice. Lets see whats been learned

Bwahahah
Scaling off of a human hand is not the most accurate wieght estimator. Perhaps a certified scale would be better. I don’t think people like to go on video making false claims that can be easily verified. Jamie seems to have been working on this for a while and I can’t imagine he’s that far off from his weights using vacuum infusion. I could see it being heavier if they weren’t bagging every part. 

Apparently we shall see what the lessons learned from their mistakes are soon.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
My weight estimate for the uni carbon in that beam using high modulus carbon and aerospace composite techniques (vacuum bagging with quality resin) is 37kg, so I don't think he is lying, plus I agree with Sail4beer, to what end?

boardhead

Anarchist
Just picking up the beam and setting it in position, even if it was not actually weighed, would confirm or refute Jamie’s statement and really no reason to make some crazy low weight claim, to what end?

The workmanship and commitment to create a boat that raises the bar is to be commended, long time since Bullfrog was built.

I am amazed that a beam of those dimensions and strength requirement can be built to that weight but never having designed or built in that material I stand to be amazed.

The mast on my boat is Hi Modulus Carbon, 58’ 6” long, monolithic, dry braided, resin infused, compacted and cured in an autoclave by Composite Engineering, The structural design and engineering was by Ted Van Dusen, MIT, owner of Composite.

I designed and built the boat and gave Ted the rig layout, support locations and a weight that generates 120,000 ft. lbs. of righting moment.

Ted tells me the rig represents the lightest he ever built for the task in hand, I can’t break it. It weighs 243 lbs and dressed with all the standing rigging and halyards two guy’s can carry it. Not many Hi Modulus rotating carbon wing spars being made outside France Ted tells me.