Grainger R42 - 12.8mts Performance Cruiser Trimaran

Monkey

Super Anarchist
So I launched a boat 28 years ago that is lighter - fact, more cost efficient - fact, more accommodating - fact, probably faster, came out at build weight - fact, never had any structural issues -fact, never failed to finish a single race or passage or give me a scary moment - fact and still looks and is like new after many thousands of offshore miles. 

It's the "new" stuff that has to deliver and prove itself. I am waiting to see it.
That’s like the guy who builds up some car, never shows up at the track, and brags to everyone how it’s faster than all the silly new cars. It means nothing. I’m only giving you a hard time because you always insist everything you did is better. 

It’s still a fantastic boat, and I’m sincerely not trying to be a jerk. 

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
So I launched a boat 28 years ago that is lighter - fact, more cost efficient - fact, more accommodating - fact, probably faster, came out at build weight - fact, never had any structural issues -fact, never failed to finish a single race or passage or give me a scary moment - fact and still looks and is like new after many thousands of offshore miles. 

It's the "new" stuff that has to deliver and prove itself. I am waiting to see it.
Which boat...? Please explain..... and post picks 

LMI

east coast usa

Fact is it’s been for sale forever and nobody has bought it. 

Fact is even at half even a quarter the price I would not buy it. 

Fact is you will never take it to the Caribbean winter racing circuit because you would be crushed. 

Fact is it’s a horrible boat for cruising with its minimal fit out and accommodations in a cave like monohull design, minimal protection on deck, expensive maintenance requirements, and safety compromises.

You tell everyone else what is wrong with their boats and what is so great about yours but yet the market has spoken loudly and clearly that your’s is the one with issues. 

Fact.

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Mast hooks. All the load taken by bar that runs horizontally through mast. Carbon tabs just there to stop things slipping off.

View attachment 327215 View attachment 327217
Gurok, sorry but I still don't get it.

Can you explain again??? I am really interested.

You say that the halyard is made in sections tied to each other by eyes like we see above in the picture. But then, each eye should have another piece of line tied to it, for the next section of the halyard. Here all three of them are "the end of the line"... How come? Also, if they are full main, reef 1, and reef 2, how can they ALL be taught at the same time?...

I am confused...

Some say it is my normal state of mine, though...

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

boardhead

Anarchist
That’s like the guy who builds up some car, never shows up at the track, and brags to everyone how it’s faster than all the silly new cars. It means nothing. I’m only giving you a hard time because you always insist everything you did is better. 

It’s still a fantastic boat, and I’m sincerely not trying to be a jerk. 
Well, if my posts come across like I insist everything I did is better I apologize and will tone down my enthusiasm going foreword.

Never shows up at the track - Skateaway raced in the NEMA series from 1992 until 2011 including nine New England Solo/Twins, Newport/Bermuda, BBR’s, Newport Unlimited’s, AHF’s, BDD’s etc, etc. We finished first or second in most of those races and corrected well enough to take the season trophy in ‘96. The competition was excellent in the early days including Formula 40 tris and cats, RC 27’s, C class, loads of Farriers, even OSTAR finishers in the Unlimited. 

I will not be racing Skateaway again, 28 years after she was launched I am not as nimble as I was and can’t do her justice. The Caribbean 600 would be an absolute blast for the boat but, logistically, too much for me. I will continue to enjoy and maintain her sailing locally until she sells, no rush. My St Francis 44 is a far better fit for my current offshore needs.

image.jpg

gurok

UK
Gurok, sorry but I still don't get it.

Can you explain again??? I am really interested.

You say that the halyard is made in sections tied to each other by eyes like we see above in the picture. But then, each eye should have another piece of line tied to it, for the next section of the halyard. Here all three of them are "the end of the line"... How come? Also, if they are full main, reef 1, and reef 2, how can they ALL be taught at the same time?...

I am confused...

Some say it is my normal state of mine, though...

Thanks!
IM sent

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Well, if my posts come across like I insist everything I did is better I apologize and will tone down my enthusiasm going foreword.

Never shows up at the track - Skateaway raced in the NEMA series from 1992 until 2011 including nine New England Solo/Twins, Newport/Bermuda, BBR’s, Newport Unlimited’s, AHF’s, BDD’s etc, etc. We finished first or second in most of those races and corrected well enough to take the season trophy in ‘96. The competition was excellent in the early days including Formula 40 tris and cats, RC 27’s, C class, loads of Farriers, even OSTAR finishers in the Unlimited. 

I will not be racing Skateaway again, 28 years after she was launched I am not as nimble as I was and can’t do her justice. The Caribbean 600 would be an absolute blast for the boat but, logistically, too much for me. I will continue to enjoy and maintain her sailing locally until she sells, no rush. My St Francis 44 is a far better fit for my current offshore needs.

View attachment 346601
It’s all good, and I really do like some of your creations. The escape hatch comes to mind right out of the gates. Based on your reply, you’re clearly not a DouG Lordian nitwit, and just someone proud of their boat. I can respect that. It just gets a little over the top on occasion. 

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
We did a drive by of Harwood Marine on the CLARENCE RIVER yesterday and notice a big white trimaran Layed-up on the hard with deep cord wing mast.

( upstream from Yamba/Illuka)

Any one have any details.

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Don't really think Venom was built for 40minute sprints around the cans. Should do better in the longer race today. 
“Longer” race wasn’t that much longer, in terms of elapsed time at least.

Surprised to see that the F31’s rate more than the Grainger 42...... 0.969/0.964 vs 0.961!

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
FWIW

I crunched some numbers using data off the current OMR website, using rated length, rated weight (no crew). and rated white sail area. They seem to have different off wind sails, so I took them out of the equation.

Carbon Credit: Displ/L ratio 42.72, SA/Displ ratio 56.46, Base/Average Speed 13.1 knots.

Venom: Displ/L ratio 49.03, SA/Displ ratio 50.48, Base/Average Speed 13.9 knots.

So Venom should be faster under all conditions, despite having inferior ratios, due to her extra length.

If Venom lost ~500 kg and added ~2m2 white SA, and matched Carbon Credit’s ratios, her Base/Average Speed would go up to ~14.5 knots.

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
FWIW

I crunched some numbers using data off the current OMR website, using rated length, rated weight (no crew). and rated white sail area. They seem to have different off wind sails, so I took them out of the equation.

Carbon Credit: Displ/L ratio 42.72, SA/Displ ratio 56.46, Base/Average Speed 13.1 knots.

Venom: Displ/L ratio 49.03, SA/Displ ratio 50.48, Base/Average Speed 13.9 knots.

So Venom should be faster under all conditions, despite having inferior ratios, due to her extra length.

If Venom lost ~500 kg and added ~2m2 white SA, and matched Carbon Credit’s ratios, her Base/Average Speed would go up to ~14.5 knots.
Nice,

The total elapsed times for the regatta with one drop  shows the Farrier, Carbon Credits to be approximately 10 % faster than the much larger Grainger, Venom.

Early days?

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
Adelaide to Port Lincoln race.

3 multihulls entered.

( 2 in OMR)

2 retirements.

Venom  ( the back fell off ? ) broken rudder (s) ?

Crosshairs ( the top fell off) damaged fittings?

Pescott fastest  ;)

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Cicala, a 38 ft sporty condo cat was the only official multihull finisher in the Lincoln race. I have sailed on it, but forget who the designer/builder was.

It is owned by long time good friend John Muirhead. His old boat Enchantress (designed and built himself) was 3rd out of 4 in IRC 2. Have done a half dozen or so Lincoln races, including one on Enchantress.

Cicala’s elapsed time of 16 hrs 21 mins (Average Speed 9.5 knots) vs TP52 Ichi Ban’s 10 hrs 53 mins (Average Speed 14 knots) is interesting...... Going across the bottom of Yorke Peninsula can be very gusty and flukey, especially at night..... Nasty in a hard southwester.....