Grainger R42 - 12.8mts Performance Cruiser Trimaran

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Thanks for that, what mainsail locks do you use and recommend, the ones with trip line or the one that are self-releasing? Good jib and screecher locks are plentiful and I use Karver ones but mainsail ones are more difficult to find in my view.
I only have experience with the Harken system.... 

The use of the word Cabless seems flat out wrong to me, so far even if they were originally test sailed with no cable all rhe sails I have seen have ended up with luff cables, all be it smaller, but still cables, being called by ither names. Holding a mast up by a sail only is an amazing feat but does not interest me much. Having to keep your expensive forestay still there in front of the sail taking some of the load and therefore allowing sag in a sail is also not something I am interested in (unless looking for more entry depth)and we are seeing this as a current solution being used for the J1 on the Big boat Pil mentioned I believe. combined tack load is therefore actually no less in this example for the J1, so what is the advantage for an upwind sail?

Advantage on a multi up to 50ft is not much... The advantage for cable less upwind sails on the bigger boats like Comanche is huge. Weight saving is one.. the other is the ability to get it up and down much quicker with 6 less guys on the fore deck. This used to be hanked on so imagine the drop when the breeze kicks and having to bag this sucker on the leeward rail then get it back to the cockpit... now two guys hook it on and control the roll for the hoist and then retrieve it when done... also meaning the time it takes to change down and up a gear is way less... plus It is stored in a shorter bag.  It is very cool........ WIN WIN

https://yachtracing.life/doyle-sails-cableless-headsails-deliver-results/

The reefs complicate it as needs to lock at different heights unlike all the front sails. 
Yes you get used to it....The trip line just needs to be held down / open while the lock goes through all reef points when dropping at the end of the day... 

gurok

UK
I shall walk to boat in morning and take some for you
IMG-1502.jpeg

Generally unpleasant this morning with rain and wind so no sail hoist but I took enough pictures for you to get the gist of the system

Mast hooks. All the load taken by bar that runs horizontally through mast. Carbon tabs just there to stop things slipping off.

IMG-1503.jpeg IMG-1505.jpeg

2:1 mainsail halyard in sections linked with spliced loops. Each section length equates to reef drop

IMG-1504.jpeg

boardhead

Anarchist
The halyard can be run through a clutch, then past a cleat, round a turning block back to the winch.

Hoist to desired position, clutch (they don’t hold shit and are not even very strong but can secure the unloaded halyard), take the line off the winch and make it down on the cleat, release the clutch and apply downhaul.

The cleat is gentle on your expensive, high tech, halyard. It is secure. It can be eased under load without any damage to the line and re-secured at any increment. Way more convenient to use. That single stud anchor on the spliced loop is questionable.The line can be set at any length, those fixed length cables will be tough to size spot on.

Are we still talking about this Grainger?

SSolo

England
compare with my Seacart 30. "Buzz" . we are 1100Kg in offshore race trim... and so far Morpheus and Freshly Squeezed have yet to really worry us : yes up wind in a sea way length beats us... off wind we have it.

But then Buzz's crew are certifiable insane :)

gurok

UK
compare with my Seacart 30. "Buzz" . we are 1100Kg in offshore race trim... and so far Morpheus and Freshly Squeezed have yet to really worry us : yes up wind in a sea way length beats us... off wind we have it.

So far every time I have gone sailing I have managed to worry myself and  so far I've yet to go sailing without breaking something /someone.

"But then Buzz's crew are certifiable insane :)" and a lot less comfortable.

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway

SeaCart 30 is really a legendary boat - that need some crazyness - and as the US use to say to other nations be polite (be fore Trump); "they punch way over their weight-class".... 

SeaCart is so well buildt and designed - that they can be sailed to max all the time - other boats need a couple of years to sort out before they get up to potential... 

Last edited by a moderator:

CBGB

Cornwall
Can you tell us more about the downwind sail plan Lowgroove and the rationale around the choices you’ve made there? Thanks

nmanno

Hong Kong
2:1 mainsail halyard in sections linked with spliced loops. Each section length equates to reef drop

View attachment 327216
This is so simple and genius! I love the simplicity. Whilst it won't reduce the compression load, I tend to like this KISS approach. So to be clear, on the picture above, you have the 2.1 mainsheet and 2 loops, The main halyard is composed of many such sections and so when you take a reef, you just go to the next loop and put that on the mast "hooks" and re-attach the cunningham and that's it? 

What are all the other mast hooks one can see on your pictures? Is that for the foresails?

gurok

UK
This is so simple and genius! I love the simplicity. Whilst it won't reduce the compression load, I tend to like this KISS approach. So to be clear, on the picture above, you have the 2.1 mainsheet and 2 loops, The main halyard is composed of many such sections and so when you take a reef, you just go to the next loop and put that on the mast "hooks" and re-attach the cunningham and that's it? 

What are all the other mast hooks one can see on your pictures? Is that for the foresails?
In answer to your questions.

Yes the main halyard has many such sections and yes I just drop to the next loop, apply downhaul and I'm done. No clutches, no guessing, nothing falling off of reef horns while I tighten stuff up.

Yes the other hooks are for foresails and kites. 

Rob Meizer of Barracouta sails was the "genius" behind it all on Freshly Squeezed 

Holy crap well I don't really care if that Grainger can even sail well or fast but DAMN it looks FANTASTIC just sitting still!

If I had $26 in my bank account I would definitely buy one of these bad boys, just based on looks alone  :lol:

Mordoc

Europe
Holy crap well I don't really care if that Grainger can even sail well or fast but DAMN it looks FANTASTIC just sitting still!

If I had $26 in my bank account I would definitely buy one of these bad boys, just based on looks alone  :lol:
+1

But $26 will not make it. Any idea about the price?

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
well Tony has left the building.....no photo of Boat testing while he was here

so here is  a  G36  sailing....in light airs

45434378_1751904874918406_9032549186809102336_n.jpg

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
Tonys Newsletter has just been posted....no pics sailing yet, just in marina

VENOM TAKES TO THE WATER

R42 Trimaran Venom was launched on the Gold Coast in mid October and spent several days undergoing sea trials out of Southport Yacht Club. Venom was impressive in initial trials and is currently preparing to head south to Adelaide where where she will be based. The photos were taken during sailing preparation at Southport Yacht Club.

Latest posts