Grainger R42 - 12.8mts Performance Cruiser Trimaran

randii

Sacramento area
10/29 and 10/30, you posted the video descriptions... that was nice, and I appreciated it, so that I could evaluate whether I wanted to go over to ZuckerBook to view the corresponding video.

I'll go upvote those...

boardhead

Anarchist
Can we see some footage shot from the weather ama scoping bow to stern in a decent chop, at speed, to windward and see how much or little she pitches. Maybe at 27 apparent doing 14.

Bruno

Super Anarchist
The rig does a look a little small. For reference, a local Corsair 43 was refit early in life with an 80' rotating carbon rig for better performance in light air. The Corsair 37RS has a 51' rig. In both cases the boats are a good bit heavier than the Grainger, and often sailing in areas with less breeze than Venom. Still, it would appear the floats can support a slightly larger rig, potentially with rig canting an option for race mode :)
Nearly 2:1

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
Venom in Cronulla,  she is on her way to her home in SA.....there was the SE change that was coming up the coast and was offered a spot .   You can see the bushfire smoke in the sky.... and the change caused the fires to change direction and flare up....a scary fire season , never seen conditions exacerbated by the worst drought inland,..and on the east coast of oz . The IOD the indian ocean dipole is showing the huge body of hot water  that is changing the monsoon season in se asia , which then translates to no rain laden wind system from the nw of oz....it will be a long and difficult summer

74615479_558622878229383_7114803747494035456_n-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
#VenomSailing reports on arrival at home port: Set off for Adelaide fro Potrland and had a mild first part of the delivery - just had to avoid the hundreds of unlit craypot buoys and their trailing lines all along the Limestone coast.
(Tip - most seem to be around 35m depth contours and none in water > 50m).
Hit by a stronger than expected westerly change at 0430 when not far north of Robe.
Was wet and wild in the squals but the boat handled it beautifully - solid and stable as a rock. 20knots seemed a bit much for a delivery so we slowed things down a bit.
Fantastic welcome on the dock from MYASA members - it was a great greeting and really apprecitefd."

DaveWalsh

France
Anyone have pictures of how the front beam structure (post no 20) was integrated into the main bulkhead?

Surely not just glued on? How was it done? As shown in post number 20 it looks an engineering/structural nightmare. Give me an integrated beam/bulkhead design: easier to sleep at night.

square top

brisbane
Lotta mast (weight aloft) sticking out the top of that square top.

Short changed on the provided sail dimensions?
Surely its a floating tack and the main hasn't been pulled all the way up? The sail looks like its on the boom so should be able to go up and have luff down adjustment. If not the sailmaker needs a measuring tape. 

Lowgroove

Australia
Surely its a floating tack and the main hasn't been pulled all the way up? The sail looks like its on the boom so should be able to go up and have luff down adjustment. If not the sailmaker needs a measuring tape. 
If anything this sail could have been 50mm shorter on the luff, she can go full hoist, just a halyard that needs be be pulled up harder, great shots, she's a beast.

Tack has a lashing.

boardhead

Anarchist
So a two inch increment on a sixty foot stick is like 0.3% but scaling the guy at the mast to the length of undressed spar up there looks all of two feet - cut it off if you are not gonna use it! 

Running the tack two feet up the track from the goose neck has some geometry issues loading the lower slides - or room for another thirty square feet of sail?