Grainger R42 - 12.8mts Performance Cruiser Trimaran

Make that sail STICK OUT past the mast, otherwise it's not long enough  :lol:

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 12.23.52 PM.png

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
Fabulous boat, great video, Thanks.

44 kg aft beam - that’s 97 pounds? Amazing!
For those interested.

The OMR weight  has just been published.

3775  kg.

see VENOM ....

http://www.mycq.org.au/omr/omr-ratings

I'm pretty sure that Bullfrog raced lighter .

Has anyone got the OMR data?

That was built in a cow shed from dead vegetation.

WTF happened  to design and tech in the past  40 years

Last edited by a moderator:

cynophobe

Super Anarchist
Airlie Beach
For those interested.

3775  kg.

see VENOM ....

Ave Gitana is basically a sister ship to Bullfrog and weighs 4097kg, rates .996 to Venoms 1.008. 

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
Ave Gitana is basically a sister ship to Bullfrog and weighs 4097kg, rates .996 to Venoms 1.008. 
Pretty sure Ballena (Bullfrog) was built lighter solely as a racer, Ave Gitana having been built with some cruising in mind, though I have no idea what the difference was. This is based on a hazy memory of a boat profile for a sistership to Ballena (has to be Ave, as I think think there were only 2 built) that appeared in a late 90s Multihull World preview for the Brisbane Gladstone, where I think she finished mid fleet. I could be way off the mark.

trispirit

World
Ave actually has lithium and an electric drive no diesel! Her rigs carbon and she’s got synthetic rigging.  

For comparison Spirit, which has a 19m carbon rig and dyneema rigging had her last OMR in 2017 after being refit. She was 3.6t, which isn’t bad for a thirty year old design that’s 12.4m x 10.6m.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
Ave actually has lithium and an electric drive no diesel! Her rigs carbon and she’s got synthetic rigging.  

Interesting.

Do you know what charging system they have for the  lithium?

petrol,diesel, solar., all of the above.

Unless its a token system the total weight of these electric systems is normally more than I.C.E.

trispirit

World
Interesting.

Unless its a token system the total weight of these electric systems is normally more than I.C.E.
1kw of Solar or shore power charges the 360Ah @ 48v lithium bank.  The Oceanvolt engine can regenerate at up to 3.8kw max @ 17kts of boat speed.  Regeneration reduces speed around 0.6 of a knot.  Can motor for 2hrs at 7kts and 5hrs at 4kts flat seas.  No good for boats that can't sail but a great system for boats that sail well and for people that aren't in a hurry if and when cruising.  I believe the system over I.C.E saved roughly 65kg's.  Owner is very happy with the system and it suits their needs very well  ;-)

boardhead

Anarchist
For those interested.

3775  kg.

see VENOM ....

This is all VERY interesting.

The 97 kg turned out to be - at best - the two foreword STUB beams which, apparently, when laminated into the hi-tech structure, yielded a boat 1,000 kg heavier than my relatively low tech approach.

The electrical drive option might actually be the key to my finding some interest in my boat. I conferred with Blue Sea some years ago but they were not focussing on performance sailing boats ( not sure many people are anymore - it's all about the buck) and the regeneration aspect was miserable then.

Trimaran's generate LOTS of energy but need little to move them at moderate (high teens) speeds.

With all of a ton to play with I could lose the current 15 hp outboard option - already so efficient with 4 stoke gas sipping fuel consumption- and get some cheap Tesla storage from the breakers yard working with the best Oceanvolt has to offer.

Bingo - current gee wiz that might actually work! 

Not carbon panel build, reverse bows, foils, magic folding etc, etc.

Did somebody say regular guy's could DIY a better outcome - don't be so silly!!

boardhead

Anarchist
Interesting.

Buddy of mine just picked up a 5kw piece of a Tesla automobile battery for $1g, delivered. Four of those beat the 17kw Ave Gitana is packing at around 130kg.

Motor sailing in very light air (there is almost always something) my big pitch equipped 15 hp OB runs 4 hours on a gallon making 6 - 8 knots so we only carry two 4 gallon tanks of gas.

Imagine what an optimised electric pusher/regenerator could achieve - BUT - you need a REALLY efficient sailboat.

How about the $owner of Venom toss that afterthought OB off the stern and demo what's possible with electric in 2020 like Tesla is blowing away the entire antiquated auto industry - but I digress - sorry.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Bingo - current gee wiz that might actually work! 

Not carbon panel build, reverse bows, foils, magic folding etc, etc.

Did somebody say regular guy's could DIY a better outcome - don't be so silly!!
Well, prove it!  I really like a lot of your ideas, but you carry on constantly that your ideas are better than the modern ideas. I simply say, “prove it.”

boardhead

Anarchist
So I launched a boat 28 years ago that is lighter - fact, more cost efficient - fact, more accommodating - fact, probably faster, came out at build weight - fact, never had any structural issues -fact, never failed to finish a single race or passage or give me a scary moment - fact and still looks and is like new after many thousands of offshore miles. 

It's the "new" stuff that has to deliver and prove itself. I am waiting to see it.

Well, prove it!  I really like a lot of your ideas, but you carry on constantly that your ideas are better than the modern ideas. I simply say, “prove it.”

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
I want whatever glasses you are wearing. I've designed and built lots of boats that performed well above expectations and had all the "facts" that you state and all I see are their faults.

boardhead

Anarchist
Well that must be depressing Russell.

I wonder if you or your Dad ever looked at one of your boats and said you did not even care if it performed well cos it just looked fantastic - I would find that depressing but apparently it’s OK for some.