Grant Dalton Talks to Sail World

KZ-1

Super Anarchist
Queenstown - NZ
Article in todays NZ Herald, front page, reckons that over the last few days Dalton has secured all the cash he needs ( i doubt it but however ) for a cup campaign AND he knows WHEN & WHERE it will be....

...have the powers that be already mooted a location & date?

Would love to be a hair on dalts balding head just to hear whats hes been hearing/talking about in his 'meetings' the last couple of decisive days.

Also found out the reason why there was no merch down at the Viaduct this year. From sources close and directly related to the industry, LV wanted a percentage cut of 15% then the AC (who im not sure but why begs the question) wanted another % stake in anything that mentioned the LVT on it or was sold on site during the event. Sure enough they might get a certain percentage but 15% is diggin a little deep.

Slam offered a clothing sponsorship with ETNZ but ETNZ has temporarily gone with GILL (UK) for their clothing for the LVT/TP50 2010 campaign, apparantly its a temp arrangement.

Slams contract with BMW Oracle Racing is worth $4M US

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Both Dalton and Sanderson have confirmed there are no consultations going on at present (at least as of a few days ago).

Last edited by a moderator:

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
Dalts did not say he knows the time + place for the next AC.

Listen to his chat with RG.

He thinks it might be 2014 but is hoping for 2013.

Thinks 2012 is a reach because of Olympics + time needed to create infrastructure.

With regard to clothing, Line-7 is toast so TNZ is looking for a new arrangement.

If you have a good deal, contact Grant.

BOR are sticking with their 2-part plan (1) plan to the consultation plan and and announce it late-March (2) Starting April, implement the consultation plan.

I still think it is for SF to lose!

Boats? AC90-type monos.

KZ-1

Super Anarchist
Queenstown - NZ
I know Line-7 is toast, that is why I informed you all that they have picked up with GILL temporarily, they might switch back to M&N but who knows, SLAM did offer it to them tho, but I doubt they can go back...conflict of interest.

hhn92

Super Anarchist
Tampa Bay Fla
I think until something is confirmed on SF or wherever the match will be held, things will be fluid.

GGYC will lay-out what they can of the details; boat rule, committed teams to date, some LV and other sponsorship, format, etc. but they will not have SF locked-in by April. Too much to overcome unless they have a lot more groundwork laid from before the match than we know of.

Dalts sounds like he has things set for this year solid, with potential agreement on the funding of the AC program pending confirmation of a time-frame and format that the sponsors can commit to. I think he'll get it, but nothing has been signed on the dotted line. Even if he gets a commitment, it sounds like he may still have to stretch his dollars to make it all work.

It sounded like the 'new boat' in the comments would be a new TP52?

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
I think until something is confirmed on SF or wherever the match will be held, things will be fluid.
BOR have been clear about their two-step process:

Step 1: Design a plan to consult others. Announce that plan in late March/early April

Step 2: Implement the consultation plan (Starting April, 2010)

They are not about to piss people off by having a phony (or inauthentic) consultation process.

What we have heard so far are only interesting options (eg. mono/multi; SF or SD).

I suspect their consultation plan will get launched by staging a competitors meeting. With a skilled facilitator, this would be a brainstorming operation to get all ideas and possibilities on the table.

After that, I suspect BOR brass will then hit the road and visit, talk with, and listen too every potential competitor in their natural habitat.

Next, BOR will circulate tentative "findings/ideas" by email.

Then there will be another mass meeting to put it all in writing and haggle over details.

Regarding the boat, once the basic design parameters have been identified, there will be a sub-committee of designers who will get together to create a box rule. Do not be surprised if it comes out like the Tom Schnack AC90.

This is how I would do it.

And I have a feeling the BOR process will be much like this.

Even if not all ideas can be used in the final plan, everyone should have lavish opportunities to state their preferences.

If BOR do this right, it will be a huge step forward for the Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:
He seems to think 2012 would work and that the olympics wouldn't be much of an issue, which is semi-true.

the 'new' boat is a cup boat, they are reusing NZL380 for this year's medcup, with upgrades for the new rules, if it aint broke.......

see... Chris Cameron

CC20100210m209.jpg CC20100210m030.jpg