Gravity: 32 word review and why you should see it

bluelaser2

CLE
Best depiction of spaceflight ever filmed.

3D IMAX if you can- but 3D is essential.

I'm not a Clooney or Bullock fan: it don't matta. They were fine.

Not to be missed.

Ugh. Allow me post a dissenting opinion. *Spoiler Ahead: IF you are crippled and have lived without the use of arms and legs, and have no tactical experience with Newton's laws or gravity, you might enjoy the movie.

However, if you have the smallest intuition that two people, facing each other in an icerink, with their skates also pointing at each other, who are holding a rope between them, and who each pull hard on the rope WILL MOVE TOWARD EACH OTHER, instead of having some arbitrary force (Darth Vader, out of frame?) pulling them apart, then you'll be highly distressed that your investment of time and money has gone to such total cinematic shit. Just my 2 cents.

As well, if you're offended by blatant red-state marketing, you may want to skip. Sandra Bullock, in ORBIT, recants her athiesm, talks to spirits, and thanks Jesus at the end of the movie for saving her from technology. All that technology was stupid and needed to go anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
I saw the movie. Yes, the depiction of spaceflight is very good.

SPOILER ALERT

This movie is stupid. Instead of it being a thoughtful contemplation on escaping a difficult situation, or event contemplating death, it is more like a Disney movie where everything works JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME. Just as there is about to be a disaster, by some miraculous event the heroine scrapes by and continues to the next near disaster and miraculous escape. Repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

I thought this movie was ridiculous.

some dude

Super Anarchist
was there are sailboat floating around up there? why are we discussing here?

speaking of movies (ones with actual boats)-Capt Phillips was pretty good.

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
Gravity was the worst movie I have ever seen. The screen play was horrible. The dialog was worse. The characters were cardboard at best and there wasn't a moment when anyone with whom I spoke cared one iota about who lived or died. The plot was as misogynistic as can be imagined - brilliant female scientist needs caveman to survive.

That leaves only the special effects, which just weren't special. First, the rendered images of the various space stations looked like a college student's claymation project. Second, there was no serious green-screen effort with the actors because they were in extra-vehicular suits the entire time and so even they were rendered wire-frames. The only green-screen effort that I saw was the piss-poor attempt to place eyes, nose and mouth in the visor area of the space suits and that was done remarkably poorly, too.

Was the 3D footage of the earth interesting? No! There's no such thing as a 3D image of a sphere from 100 miles - everything looks flat at that distance.

This film is a gigantic con job using a B-rated cast and some cheap rendering hacks to tell an implausible story to a non-discriminating audience. It's a waste of time.

Why is this thread even here?

some dude

Super Anarchist
Gravity was the worst movie I have ever seen. The screen play was horrible. The dialog was worse. The characters were cardboard at best and there wasn't a moment when anyone with whom I spoke cared one iota about who lived or died. The plot was as misogynistic as can be imagined - brilliant female scientist needs caveman to survive.

That leaves only the special effects, which just weren't special. First, the rendered images of the various space stations looked like a college student's claymation project. Second, there was no serious green-screen effort with the actors because they were in extra-vehicular suits the entire time and so even they were rendered wire-frames. The only green-screen effort that I saw was the piss-poor attempt to place eyes, nose and mouth in the visor area of the space suits and that was done remarkably poorly, too.

Was the 3D footage of the earth interesting? No! There's no such thing as a 3D image of a sphere from 100 miles - everything looks flat at that distance.

This film is a gigantic con job using a B-rated cast and some cheap rendering hacks to tell an implausible story to a non-discriminating audience. It's a waste of time.

Why is this thread even here?
did you have any candy? sounds like no

Did I sleep through the part where there's a FUCKING Sailboat?

was there are sailboat floating around up there? why are we discussing here?

I'm sure there a few boats out on the oceans and coastal waters in the scenes looking down on the earth. Maybe a bit hard to see them from 200 miles out.

B)

What do you expect from hollywood?

Last edited by a moderator:

dyslexic dog

Super Anarchist
Michigan
Yeah, my wife and friend were on the edge of their seats but I lost it when the artificial force of hollywood sent boy toy off into space. That and I dare anyone to read a manual from a foreign engineer and know what button to push and in what order in a min.

The holy hand grenade from Monty Python comes to mind.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Here is a hint or two for the movie producers when they make a sequel:

1. When you grab a passing space station or space ship, there is no drag. Once you are going the same speed you don't have to hang on like you are being dragged behind a boat. There is no air or water. It isn't like being a wing walker or the guy that is too dumb to let go of the line when he falls off water skiing :rolleyes:

2. When space debris comes at you fast enough the shred your space station, you can't see it and duck. It is going faster than a rifle bullet.

3. When you call for help on the radio, odds are poor you will get some random guy in China apparently taking care of little kids while chatting with passing space ships.

Je Prefere

Anarchist
pnw
Here is a hint or two for the movie producers when they make a sequel:

1. When you grab a passing space station or space ship, there is no drag. Once you are going the same speed you don't have to hang on like you are being dragged behind a boat. There is no air or water. It isn't like being a wing walker or the guy that is too dumb to let go of the line when he falls off water skiing :rolleyes:

2. When space debris comes at you fast enough the shred your space station, you can't see it and duck. It is going faster than a rifle bullet.

3. When you call for help on the radio, odds are poor you will get some random guy in China apparently taking care of little kids while chatting with passing space ships.
the radio contact part was one of the most believable events. I liked the beginning, but once the 2nd incredibly improbable event happened about 10 minutes in, it went down hill. also if you see it, dont bother with the 3d, total misuse of that tech.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
I liked it.

I went in expecting not to, but I liked it. (it was part of a double-feature)

Do I think there is enough content in there to benefit from a second viewing?

Not really.