Greta

EvaOdland

She crossed the Atlantic as mostly a passenger on a Open 60. She appeared in front of recalcitrant U.S. Congressional lawmakers and spoke her mind.

What have we done lately?

This girl...this young girl...even with whatever support of adults she may have, sailed across the Atlantic on a fucking sexy ocean racer and laid out what we all know needs to be said...she can say the things we can't....because she has nothing, and everything to lose...

I want to sail across the Atlantic on an Open 60. I want people to listen to me about climate change but I know that is not going to happen, so I celebrate her. When I was her age I was sailing small boats on an inland lake but I also got to spend time on the helm of a 72 foot wood ketch in the Apostle islands on Lake Superior. It seems like ages ago. It was a different time but looking back I can see how different the world was. There was no giant garbage patch. Coral reefs were not dying. Micro plastics were not showing up in the bloodstreams of fish in the Great  Lakes. There was still commercial fishing n the Great Lakes for native species. there wasn't rafts of plastic garbage in the marinas. 

I know this the world is not the same as it was 40 some years ago, but can anyone say it has gotten better?

No one is asking you to embrace Greta as a spokesperson for whatever group who is aiding her...just listen to her and your own children and grandchildren, and remember the world we once had, accept what know to be true and do something to help.

13CLI-GRETA3-superJumbo.jpg

merlin_161009043_bcf8e2dd-50f8-48f4-875f-639487414ebc-superJumbo.jpg

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
I find it sad that so many sailors could give a shit about the environment, if anyone should be aware of the changes that have already occurred it is us, in my many decades on the water I have seen some of these. If you think the coming changes will be good for you and your area you are either extremely fortunate or just kidding yourself. Of course since the average age of most posters is such we will be dead before the shit really hits the fan so not my problem.

basildog

Well said d'ranger, but for one small thing.  What about our children's, children?  If we do sweet fuck all then who is going to do it?

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
Yeah, but is everyone here forgetting that the entirety of US congress is bought and paid for through lobbying? Oh and is old as fuck.

Who the fuck is going to listen to a 16 year old who says "you shouldn't let companies pollute the Earth with plastics or CO2" when they are 70 years old and have someone offering them ten million dollars to not stop companies from doing something which won't effect them because they're going to die before it matters.

Every sane person cares.

But there's only one solution which I see... and it is just like something which happens in a couple days...

"Storm Area 51, They Can't Stop All of Us"

area51.jpg

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
We do all have to do our bit. But sailing across the pond to avoid one flight, but resulting in 3 people flying across to take the boat back, and the crew that took her over flying back to Europe, thus causing four people to fly instead of one is hypocritical in my view.

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
We do all have to do our bit. But sailing across the pond to avoid one flight, but resulting in 3 people flying across to take the boat back, and the crew that took her over flying back to Europe, thus causing four people to fly instead of one is hypocritical in my view.
It is really disappointing that they couldn't organise themselves to do their "stunt" properly (why on earth did they have to change crew!). Nevertheless crossing the Atlantic on a boat was a really good idea, I am sure that most people assume you can't sail across oceans unless you are called Christopher Columbus. Global warming and mass pollution is a reality unless you happen to be living in a cave watching commercial TV and reading tabloids. At some point we will be overtaken by the physical reality and if there are alternatives ready it will be less painful to react.

Upp3

Anarchist
She stopped flying in 2015. Would it have been better her to start flying again just for this trip?

Hugh Janus

yeah, sitting and typing about hypocrites is sooooo cool....

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
Anyone who thinks that the survival of the human race is 'political' is a fuckwit.

That's you clearly.
It's clearly not about sailing, either. That's why it doesn't belong here. And Greta tries to talk to politicians, so that's CLEARLY where any topic like this belongs. 

It doesn't belong in "Sailing" just because that incidentally was her method for travelling. It doesn't belong to "Train lovers" when she decides to take a train. 

It belongs to "Politics". 

random

Super Anarchist
It's clearly not about sailing, either. That's why it doesn't belong here. And Greta tries to talk to politicians, so that's CLEARLY where any topic like this belongs. 

It doesn't belong in "Sailing" just because that incidentally was her method for travelling. It doesn't belong to "Train lovers" when she decides to take a train. 

It belongs to "Politics". 
Sailors expect to foil without catching a garbage bag, they expect the boat they bought for six or seven figures to be capable of surviving the conditions thrown at it.

The climate is sailing, things that affect sailing are not political, they are here and now.  If you think differently then you are wrong.

But in the end, if we have difficulty surviving, no one will be sailing for fun.

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
Sailors expect to foil without catching a garbage bag, they expect the boat they bought for six or seven figures to be capable of surviving the conditions thrown at it.

The climate is sailing, things that affect sailing are not political, they are here and now.  If you think differently then you are wrong.

But in the end, if we have difficulty surviving, no one will be sailing for fun.
Again, these are political questions and not something that this forum is about. 

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
When calling people right wingers and then saying put partisan bullshit aside sounds like this should be in PA where it belongs. 

I took the screen shot from the link above. It’s the news on the FP.  I can’t stand the hate involving political conversation and avoid it. 

CF19471C-74AF-471C-B79D-2DE8738F2834.jpeg

savoir

Super Anarchist
Funny how no one mentions the charter fee.  What would the round trip cost be for a boat like that ?  $100,000 at least.

random

Super Anarchist
Funny how no one mentions the charter fee.  What would the round trip cost be for a boat like that ?  $100,000 at least.
So?  Is that $100000 worth of sunshine or oil?

To some fuckwits, everything is about $s.