Greta

LB 15

Cunt
Science is based on validating the data.

• If the same data comes from say the Heartland Institute funded by the Kock-up-your arse Brothers, then it's fucked, no credibility and you would get laughed out of the presentation.
  • If that same data came from calibrated instruments using trained scientists, then it's ok to report!

That's how it works.

But we could do a test.  Let's say you go out for lunch and order a nice chicken soup.  But it is delivered to you by a homeless person who came in off the street.

Same soup, different messenger.  Different outcome.

Remind me again about who is the fuckwit here?

View attachment 323320
Who goes out for chicken soup?

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Angry little minx isn’t she. 

You know that is pretty good. Who ever writes her stuff knows there shit about creative writing. 
Way better than that trite Saint Greta spiel you posted the other day.  I wonder where you copy/pasted that from?

And she would probably spell "their" correctly.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
You do know he has a BSME, which is a Bachelor of SCIENCE in Mechanical Engineering. Its not an advanced degree, but is a degree in science. 

Also, most scientists don't have degrees which specifically state "scientist"

Stephen Hawking has advanced degrees in theoretical physics and applied mathematics and I don't think anyone would have an issue calling him a scientist.  
Squal,

I do know that.  I have a BS from the Naval Academy, but that doesn't make me a scientist, and my Masters of Arts in Military History doesn't make me an Artist.

I consider a scientist to be one who studied one of the 3 basic groups of science, and now is actively engaged in furthering the knowledge in one of those fields.  

"The natural taxonomy of the empirical sciences would break the sciences down into three basic groups: the physical sciences (physics, astronomy, chemistry, geology, metallurgy), the biological sciences (zoology, botany, genetics, paleontology, molecular biology, physiology), and the psychological sciences (psychology, sociology, anthropology, maybe economics)"

In my construct, I would call Bill Nye a well informed advocate and spokesperson, but not an "expert" or scientist

Crash

Last edited by a moderator:

LB 15

Cunt
This ^

If your mechanic tells you your brakes have 2% of their surface left before they fail, you listen. If you are skeptical and think the mechanic may have an ulterior motive, you get a second opinion. If the second mechanic tells you the same thing, you get new brakes. You don't cook up the idea that your brakes wearing out is a conspiracy constructed by 99% of mechanics so they can get rich. 

Greta never claimed to be a master mechanic. She's just pointing out (rightly) that we've been told by a lot of mechanics that our brakes are shitty and we are speeding towards a brick wall.
Does she only work on Volvo’s? If not I might get her to look at the brakes on my Hyundai. I will go pick her up on my boat, she how she likes spending a few months on a BH41. Pity it has a Yanmar not one of them green Swedish taxi engines. Still I am sure she will work out how to fix it. She Does have all the answers...

random

Super Anarchist
Clearly it's FASD and not genetics that gave her looks.
So a girl who quotes science is attacked personally, now her parents are as well?

Are you fucking serious?  Are you fucking insane?

The denial industry is the most evil construct that ever existed on the planet.  At least the Nazis only wanted to kill jews and gypies.

These cunts are killing the entire planet.

LB 15

Cunt
Way better than that trite Saint Greta spiel you posted the other day.  I wonder where you copy/pasted that from?

And she would probably spell "their" correctly.
I wrote that all by my little self cup cake. Like Greta I enjoy creative writing. Used to do it for a living and drove my editors crazy with my appalling spelling. But Greta and I are more concerned with getting our message out than worrying about trolls attacking us about our disabilities. 

random

Super Anarchist
Like Greta I enjoy creative writing.
Greta writes speeches that quote science.  LB this is a low point for you, it's fucking disgusting that adults, scared shitless that a girl is pointing out how evil they are, like the Emperors New Clothes fable.  An the only response is to attack the girl?  And her parents?  And the boat she rode in on?

Get a a mugachino of go fuck youtself, if you are tolling it's not funni, if you are serious, get a fucking education you stupid cunt.

bacq2bacq

Anarchist
Ottawa
Its an interesting question, but I'm not sure you are correct.  There is no factual data that shows the long term impact to the environment of shifting to renewable energy sources.  What we have are projections and models, and hypothesis that say they lessen the impact.  They likely will lessen carbon emissions.  But that's only one part of the enviroment.  As we are not at a 95% of our energy comes from  renewable sources yet, we can't actually know the impact, and haven't yet discovered the inevitable unintended consequences.

Also, how exactly can you say it will result in economic growth?  In the near term, depending on time lines, it could have a huge near term negative impact.  Both politically (like the Middle East isn't already a boiling pot - remove the one economic engine there is and what do you think happens?) and economically (its much easier for the relatively wealthy and well educated to change jobs/careers, but much, much harder for the less wealthy/less well educated).  Using AI and self driving vehicles as an example, what happens to the 3.5 million truck drivers in the US when drivers are made obsolete?  Or bus drivers, Uber drivers, etc, etc.  Those changes are hard painful, and will not benefit all economically.  So I take issue with such blanket statements assurances.

That doesn't mean the change doesn't need to happen, I'm not saying that.  But pretending that only good things will happen as a result of such a change is a flight of fancy...
Intelligent life exists on PA.  There is actually a way to know that an economic activity is beneficial and superior to others in a Mill-esque utilitarian sense, but not in the system we have now. It would require an organic economic system in which the truly fittest survived and thrived.  It would require allowing evolutionary economic forces to operate freely, but under strict, fixed, common regulation.  Keeping things small and local would have to be part of that, IMHO, and who knows, we might decide the rules include some social programmes in education, health...  But we'd also need to actually have rule-of-law, and no more global debt-bubbles.  I believe systems-theory applied to natural (incl human) history tells us this.  I'm optimistic we're going to get there.

But I don't think a kid like Greta (nor even many of the scientists that produce the projections she is convinced are true) have a big enough picture of the problems, our level of understanding of the problems, and the tradeoffs that could be involved in trying to do something about them. 

But WTF this is PA, so

Maybe something positive CAN come from this shit show.
Yeah, it's possible.  Like read and understand my little bit of creative writing below, or don't, but ask a civil question, or do neither and go get your RAMWEL tattoo.

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
There are a few scientists who think humans are not responsible and are unable to alter the vector we are on. The overwhelming majority believe climate change, as we are experiencing it now and the trajectory we are on, is a by-product of human use of hydrocarbon fuels. You can disagree with the majority, but let me ask this, what if the over-whelming majority is right and we do nothing? And alternatively, what if they are wrong, but we act by reducing fossil fuel dependencies and we aggressively embrace renewable energy sources and reduce carbon emissions globally? In a risk based assessment, acting, even if you disagree with the central premise, creates significantly less catastrophic risk potential and results in economic growth and an accelerated state of innovation. If the overwhelming majority of scientists are right, and we do nothing, the impact is catastrophic, expensive, and difficult, if not impossible, to recover from. So, which do you choose?
As with so many people in this debate, you ignore opportunity cost.

Would the money be better spent eradicating TB or malaria?  Providing clean drinking water to the third world?

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
This ^

If your mechanic tells you your brakes have 2% of their surface left before they fail, you listen. If you are skeptical and think the mechanic may have an ulterior motive, you get a second opinion. If the second mechanic tells you the same thing, you get new brakes. You don't cook up the idea that your brakes wearing out is a conspiracy constructed by 99% of mechanics so they can get rich. 

Greta never claimed to be a master mechanic. She's just pointing out (rightly) that we've been told by a lot of mechanics that our brakes are shitty and we are speeding towards a brick wall.
.. you go look at your brake pads and find out they have at least 20% left, are wearing at a third of the rate both mechanics say they are, and nothing is out of the ordinary.

Then you discover that the break wear indicators they use have changed recently, the older measurements have been adjusted, and both mechanics rely on research into brake pads for their major source of income.

btw - you have $100 left to do something on your car.. and you can see that one tyre is completely flat, with a big puncture. What do you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

random

Super Anarchist
.. you go look at your brake pads and find out they have at least 20% left, are wearing at a third of the rate both mechanics say they are, and nothing is out of the ordinary.

Then you discover that the break wear indicators they use have changed recently, the older measurements have been adjusted, and both mechanics rely on research into brake pads for their major source of income.

btw - you have $100 left to do something on your car.. and you can see that one tyre is completely flat, with a big puncture. What do you do?
tenor.gif

hoppy

Anarchist
Angry little minx isn’t she. 

You know that is pretty good. Who ever writes her stuff knows there shit about creative writing. 
her daddy is an author and sailed with her, you figure...

Her parents are her puppet masters....

hoppy

Anarchist
So a girl who quotes science is attacked personally, now her parents are as well?

Are you fucking serious?  Are you fucking insane?

The denial industry is the most evil construct that ever existed on the planet.  At least the Nazis only wanted to kill jews and gypies.

These cunts are killing the entire planet.
I'm not shooting the message, just the messenger....

hoppy

Anarchist
Playing off the health and abilities of children in service of your politics is par for the course for a pitiful, disgusting troll.  

Ban this asshole.
Take this political discussion over to PA and then you can be ignorant over there.

The parents are using her to sell their books after fucking her life by boozing during pregnancy. The parents are disgusting.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
The Adult Quotient of this conversation is inversely related to the frequency of use of the word "cunt".  Just sayin'

I finally decided to ride my damn bike to work 3 days a week, 'cause i really don't need  too drive.  After the rally we went to on Friday the Mrs and I had a talk about plastic and while we're not going to throw away stuff we already have, we are going to make a concerted effort to NOT buy stuff that's plastic. That includes stuff that's packaged in plastic. THAT means, not buying much stuff online, because you can't inspect the packaging online.

We don't have children.   Were not perfect. But maybe we're a little "better" than we were on Thursday.

I "get" that some people aren't climate change deniers, but don't like Greta. 
I get that some people aren't climate change deniers, but are Ok with Greta except they think she's unrealistic.  I disagree with that opinion, but it's open to discussion. I think she's VERY realistic.

As for those who deny that it's happening, I'm not wasting time with you any more. You're just a distraction.

LB 15

Cunt
Greta writes speeches that quote science.  LB this is a low point for you, it's fucking disgusting that adults, scared shitless that a girl is pointing out how evil they are, like the Emperors New Clothes fable.  An the only response is to attack the girl?  And her parents?  And the boat she rode in on?

Get a a mugachino of go fuck youtself, if you are tolling it's not funni, if you are serious, get a fucking education you stupid cunt.
Gosh! What is it with you alarmists and your foul tempers? Now Greta doesn’t write speeches, she gives them. If you believe that she writes all her own finger waging lectures then you are so naive that you probobly believe in unicorns, the tooth fairy and that the US government are behind the 911 attacks. 

LB 15

Cunt
wholly fuck over 100 post this past weekend in this thread. I guess there is nuttin else for these pa psychopaths to do on duh weekend

pathetic
You are all over that time zone thingy  princess. But lets not let that bit of stupidity distract us from giving credit where credit is due. For the first time ever you have managed to write a post without accusing anyone of taking blue pills. Keep up the good work mate, you are really coming on.