Greta

Svanen

Super Anarchist
Whitby
I hope that every single one of you who has said "move this to PA" has also made the same post on Brexit WTF.
I agree, the Brexit thread also has nothing to do with sailing and should absolutely be moved to PA.

If you haven't,  why not?
I didn’t make a relevant post on that thread because it began when I was away sailing: and by the time I returned and started checking this forum, it was already well out of control.

The more divisive political threads like this one and the Brexit one clutter up Sailing Anarchy, the less attractive it becomes to normal people who are interested in sailing rather than juvenile ad hominem argument (posts 5, 13 et al.).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidecar

Super Anarchist
Tasmania
I personally applaud young people who are willing to get involved, make statements through their actions, draw attention to issues and make people think.

If more of the fat old fuckers occupying this place had done anything like as much when it was their turn, maybe some of the world's problems would have been solved already.

The world belongs to our children.  Get ready to hand it over, or die and get and out of the way.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
She stopped flying in 2015. Would it have been better her to start flying again just for this trip?
So you are saying that getting several others to fly so she can travel is a good thing? If she was so anti flying it should have made her skin crawl to think she was creating so many air miles. But it didn’t. She could have been open about it and even justified it because if the attention it has created. But she didn’t do that either. So she has gone from being a crusader to a pile of hypocrisy. Sad, but her minders should have seen this coming and dealt with it. 

Oh wait, only sailors would pick up on this and we are a very small subset of the target audience. So they just brush us aside and call us names if we have the temerity to point it out. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I guess that is because Jack puts so much work into Brexit WTF that it has quality content regardless of if one agrees with him or not. 
Quality? He has to resort to answering his own posts to keep it ticking over. 

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
So you are saying that getting several others to fly so she can travel is a good thing? If she was so anti flying it should have made her skin crawl to think she was creating so many air miles. But it didn’t. She could have been open about it and even justified it because if the attention it has created. But she didn’t do that either. So she has gone from being a crusader to a pile of hypocrisy. Sad, but her minders should have seen this coming and dealt with it. 

Oh wait, only sailors would pick up on this and we are a very small subset of the target audience. So they just brush us aside and call us names if we have the temerity to point it out. 
Before you continue in this vein, please read up on the actual travel itineraries of the people involved.  Thank you.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
I hope that every single one of you who has said "move this to PA" has also made the same post on Brexit WTF.

If you haven't,  why not?
I did not because Brexit is a very complicated subject and it was suggested that Brexit has important implications about and for the sailing communities, boat builders etc in both Britain (& Europe?). Quite honestly I'm not certain how strong that nexus actually & really is, and being uncertain did not want to state that nexus does not exist and that the whole thread belongs in PA. I just don't know enough about it either way.

This thread on the other hand has only a very loose association with sailing and absent the involvement of one boat for only one time has no further involvement with sailing but has devolved into political name calling.

So it belongs in PA.

hoppy

Anarchist
Wrong, if she did that we would not be talking about her, or this subject.
how does a thread or two dedicated to her on SA help her cause? 

The school kids  she is mobilising on social media and the politicians who don't give a toss about what a jumped up Swedish teen has to say, don't care about stunts. 

Refusing to travel and speaking by video would show even more dedication to the cause. This trip opens her up to mocking.

Take this to PA

how does a thread or two dedicated to her on SA help her cause? 

The school kids  she is mobilising on social media and the politicians who don't give a toss about what a jumped up Swedish teen has to say, don't care about stunts. 

Refusing to travel and speaking by video would show even more dedication to the cause. This trip opens her up to mocking.

Take this to PA
The kids that are “mobilizing” are mobilizing out of school for a day off. I would’ve “supported” any cause for a free day off too. 

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
I did not because Brexit is a very complicated subject and it was suggested that Brexit has important implications about and for the sailing communities, boat builders etc in both Britain (& Europe?). Quite honestly I'm not certain how strong that nexus actually & really is, and being uncertain did not want to state that nexus does not exist and that the whole thread belongs in PA. I just don't know enough about it either way.

This thread on the other hand has only a very loose association with sailing and absent the involvement of one boat for only one time has no further involvement with sailing but has devolved into political name calling.

So it belongs in PA.
I think that most of you did not tell them to take Brexit WTF to PA because the posters have status on this site. Someone with 260 posts started this thread, and the main posters in Brexit are at 20,000+.   At least this thread has a real association with sailing.

Don't get me wrong. Even though I did ask why the Brexit thread wasn't in PA (to a collective "huh?"), I check in on it every few days. As screwed up as our government is, it's hard to keep up with the UK crazy train and Brexit WTF provides a very good summary update.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle

So it belongs in PA.
So the potential for increased intensity of storms, the loss of coral reefs, the changing ecology of the ocean, the rise of sea level in shoreline communities including marinas ... those have nothing to do with sailing.  Got it.  Thanks for the perspective.  

hoppy

Anarchist
I think that most of you did not tell them to take Brexit WTF to PA because the posters have status on this site. Someone with 260 posts started this thread, and the main posters in Brexit are at 20,000+.   At least this thread has a real association with sailing.

Don't get me wrong. Even though I did ask why the Brexit thread wasn't in PA (to a collective "huh?"), I check in on it every few days. As screwed up as our government is, it's hard to keep up with the UK crazy train and Brexit WTF provides a very good summary update.
I beg to offer a qualified disagreement.

Greta may have sailed on a sail boat and has had an experience than not many of us that will get a chance to do... but she did is as a political message not as a sailing experience. It's all about the message not about the sailing.

Brexit has a huge impact on sailing and sailors. It affects British flagged vessels sailing within EU waters, their vat status at home and abroad, and many other matters. Even the delaying of the Brexit has an impact. So it has a lot of interest for sailor, but of course not much has been mentioned about sailing.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
I beg to offer a qualified disagreement.

Greta may have sailed on a sail boat and has had an experience than not many of us that will get a chance to do... but she did is as a political message not as a sailing experience. It's all about the message not about the sailing.

Brexit has a huge impact on sailing and sailors. It affects British flagged vessels sailing within EU waters, their vat status at home and abroad, and many other matters. Even the delaying of the Brexit has an impact. So it has a lot of interest for sailor, but of course not much has been mentioned about sailing.
So...to repeat myself...

So the potential for increased intensity of storms, the loss of coral reefs, the changing ecology of the ocean, the rise of sea level in shoreline communities including marinas ... those concerns may just be a wee bit more relevant to the sailors on this site than the VAT status of UK flagged vessels.  What do you think.

hoppy

Anarchist
So...to repeat myself...

So the potential for increased intensity of storms, the loss of coral reefs, the changing ecology of the ocean, the rise of sea level in shoreline communities including marinas ... those concerns may just be a wee bit more relevant to the sailors on this site than the VAT status of UK flagged vessels.  What do you think.
No, not sailing related. Climate change does not affect how we will sail today or this time next year. El Nino has more impact on our decisions in the short term. Climate change is a long term issue that is a great concern and it requires our politicians to act with law and policy changes.

Brexit is politics that has a direct effect on many boat owners and it may take affect in as little as 6 weeks time or whenever the UK gets their act together.