Greta

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
No, not sailing related. Climate change does not affect how we will sail today or this time next year. El Nino has more impact on our decisions in the short term. Climate change is a long term issue that is a great concern and it requires our politicians to act with law and policy changes.

Brexit is politics that has a direct effect on many boat owners and it may take affect in as little as 6 weeks time or whenever the UK gets their act together.  
Boris Johnson's been running the same act on the UK public since he was in diapers.  6 weeks is not going to make a difference in that.  

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
everything changes for British sailors the day Brexit occurs. 
Now that Ben Ainslie has decamped to Bermuda, that is the least of the Queen's worries.

Or should I say:  "Be careful what you ask for."

Last edited by a moderator:

random

Super Anarchist
Unfortunately, the nature of SA is for any reasonable conversation to be quickly reduced to partisan bickering and some will immediately jump in and identify all who disagree with them  in any manner to be cunts and fuckwits, eliminating any chance of civil discourse.  
The time for nicey nice is over, the Koch Brothers won.  More C02 than ever before is being pumped into the atmosphere.   Civil discourse should not be attempted with shills and greedy bastards who profess any point of view that favours their retirement fund.  This is about survival.  We are beginning to fight over the scraps while watching what's left go up in flames.

There is no time for reasonable conversation or partisans, only the Greta's of this world make recognise the gravity of the situation.

Upp3

Anarchist
Refusing to travel and speaking by video would show even more dedication to the cause. This trip opens her up to mocking.
And opens doors to talk to people who matter with interest in media that makes it even more worthwhile for both. She did mention that she ins't concerned with our reactions. 

S/v Ikani

San Diego
With the greatest possible respect: this thread has zero to do with sailing and should be moved to Political Anarchy where it belongs
With only a little respect but the greatest amount of understanding - When you own your blog you can pick, choose, move, or fart as you like on your own blog.  One of the big issues in our world - people trying to tell others how to live and run their lives.  Make the world a better place and start by just doing you..  Happy Friday :)

Congrats on her success in filling the streets in NYC...  So, when is her trip to China?

China, CDE equal to roughly all of developed US, EU, JPN and RUS....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Agreement

Capture10.PNG

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I pulled this off my Guardian feed this morning.....excerpts from what she said to a congressional subcommittee...

=========

“Please save your praise. We don’t want it,” she said. “Don’t invite us here to just tell us how inspiring we are without actually doing anything about it because it doesn’t lead to anything.

“If you want advice for what you should do, invite scientists, ask scientists for their expertise. We don’t want to be heard. We want the science to be heard.”

In remarks meant for Congress as a whole, she said: “I know you are trying but just not hard enough. Sorry.”

=====

I love it.  Fuck you, you fat old fuckers. Get your lardasses in gear.

efrank

Did I get down voted since I asked a question supported with data?
Your data shows that although China has 4 times as many people as the US, their carbon dioxide emissions are only double that of the US, and that although the US is only 5% of the world's population, it is responsible for 14% of carbon dioxide emissions.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Honestly, her disability....is she somewhere on the Aspbergers continuum....it's probably doing her good.  She says what she means,  right in peoples face and doesn't really "get" that  they might not like it.  She's somewhat unable to waffle....she doesn't have have the empathy for it.   So...too f'ing bad.

All the Trump supporters who just LOVE HIM  supposedly because he "tells it like it is"...should ADORE Greta, because that's exactly what she does. 

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Your data shows that although China has 4 times as many people as the US, their carbon dioxide emissions are only double that of the US, and that although the US is only 5% of the world's population, it is responsible for 14% of carbon dioxide emissions.
That should not give China a pass though. And their pollution is due in large part to the portal that Walmart built from China via ocean freight.  Anyone who has spent a little time in China quickly realizes that it has not spent the "20% investment that cleans up 80% of its air pollution."  We should expect it to.  But Greta (who I think is great) is not going to go to China because it is a totalitarian state. She would not be permitted to raise protests there. Which is unfortunate. Those fat old Chinese politicians need a hot enema on this subject every bit as much as our politicians do.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
perioecus said:
Isn't life so depressingly ironic?
You know, I almost wish I hadn't made that post because I don't want to drag any discussion of  our current president into the thread, and thereby in fact make it "political".  However, to answer your question....yes! LOL

Right now it's about climate action, and that is so intimately tied into sailing as a sport that this really IS a "sailing" post.  I mean.... if the tradewinds change, and ease up, then what happens to the TransPac, huh?  Gosh, no more 20 knots spinnaker runs all day?     If the planet warms a few degrees and the north and south wind/current  Atlantic and Pacific gyres change, d'ya think that might have an effect on the "Round the World races?  Ya think?  If the Caribbean water temperature climbs to the point where it's Hurricane Alley 10 months out of the year, d'ya think that might affect the charter trade?  If a motherfucking huge hurricane hits Galveston and destroys the harbords there, and ruins thousands of sailboats, well golly.....

Imagine the horror...

No more YouTube videos of busty babes sailing huge catamarans half-naked in blue waters, while you pay for the privilege of watching them.  Climate change might affect that! Oh. My. God!!!!!

random

Super Anarchist
Did I get down voted since I asked a question supported with data?
No, you got down voted for using data as an argument to do nothing in countries like the US.

China is following the Paris Agreement, there is a plan, unlike America who withdrew so they could continue with "Greed is Good".

shubrook

Anarchist
CT, USA
No, you got down voted for using data as an argument to do nothing in countries like the US.

China is following the Paris Agreement, there is a plan, unlike America who withdrew so they could continue with "Greed is Good".
The paris agreement is a plan to do nothing.