groupama breaks mast

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Groupama sailing team suspended racing from the fifth leg of the Volvo Ocean Race after the mast broke just above the first spreader.The crew are all safe, with the boat around 60 nautical miles south of Punta del Este. vor site.

Lost in Translation

Super Anarchist
Atlanta, GA
A shame.

With less than 700 miles to go, I hope NewOrleansSailng is right and that they make it under jury rig to the finish. Could it be close between Camper and Groupama or will Groupama have enough of a lead that a slow trip will still win out? I would think Groupama could putter along at at least 5 knots or so and take third but don't recall what Puma did when they sailed under jury rig for awhile.

nzlboy

Glad everyone is safe, damn shame though it was turning into an awesome finish

They way Fonica is steaming you wouldn't discount her. Read doesn't have to go boat for boat now so he might get a better head of steam up.

Don't discount Camper sailing over the horizon and taking a spot either, subject to how badly damaged she really is. I suspect it's worse than they have been admitting

DMMoyle

These boats must be underspec for the intended use. If the damage had happened due to a few horrendous incidents, I would not say that.... but most of these broken masts, delam, broken frames, and bow damage appear to be just from normal ("normal" meaning what is expected of a round-the-world racer) accumulated wear and tear.

Very glad there were no serious injuries. Sorry to see that the hot race for the finish line appears to be over. PUMA will now sail over in front of Tele and lead her home.

dherrigel

A shame.

With less than 700 miles to go, I hope NewOrleansSailng is right and that they make it under jury rig to the finish. Could it be close between Camper and Groupama or will Groupama have enough of a lead that a slow trip will still win out? I would think Groupama could putter along at at least 5 knots or so and take third but don't recall what Puma did when they sailed under jury rig for awhile.
Puma motor-sailed after retiring from leg one.

sunol

I've been rooting for Puma and watching them and Groupama has been fun. Shame that their best chance at a leg win has turned in to a 'no win' situation. It's down to last survivor now.

On the other hand, if Telefonica wins after taking the stop, then 2nd place will probably feel like last place to them. Bummer.

Jem

Super Anarchist
South Coast UK
Enough FFS !

This is not a sprint, you HAVE to finish all legs designers please...

...the limits have been reached - don't put your race or our crews continually at risk; now we know where the line is; just step back a big now please.

J

lbjordal

The boats are already designed and built, At this time only the crew can do anything about the life expectancy of masts and hulls. Stop whining about the design.

nzlboy

I doubt very much the boats were underspec.

They were designed and are being raced to a rule. So if you want to lay blame, which is a stupid thing to do, then blame the rule, not the designers, builders or sailors who have thrashed the crap outa them.

Besides stop bitching girls, these guys know what they are doing, they know the risks and rewards

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
I doubt very much the boats were underspec.

They were designed and are being raced to a rule. So if you want to lay blame, which is a stupid thing to do, then blame the rule, not the designers, builders or sailors who have thrashed the crap outa them.

Besides stop bitching girls, these guys know what they are doing, they know the risks and rewards
I don't blame the crews or even the boat designers but the people who wrote the specs. What kind of race is it where only one boat (hopefully I won't jinx Puma) does not sustain major damage during a leg?

If I were the sponsor I would be pretty unhappy about this.

Joker

Anarchist
Too bad the rules and or schedule are not set up to encourage them to sail into the finish under a jury rig.

Latest posts