Guesstimating range

accnick

Super Anarchist
Yes indeed

I’ve often taken fuel out of steel barrels from a Panga or out of a pickup truck with a 1000 liter fuel cube in its bed

it is what it is

but when calculating fuel burn consider fuel quality …cetane , sulphur and oxidation
It's amazing how the simple act of getting fuel can take on cultural significance. Two cases stand out to me.

One was getting fuel in Uligamu at the northern tip of the Maldives. Sand streets, one phone booth, no electricity for the most part.

We didn't really need fuel, but another boat did, so we agreed with a couple of locals to buy a 55 gallon drum of fuel. They disappeared over the horizon in a skiff, and returned in a couple of hours, rolling the drum through the surf onto the beach.

Stood the drum upright, got the sand off it, and inserted a small hand pump. They pumped it--one liter at a time--into a calibrated brass container, which we then dumped into our jerry jugs.

The whole procedure took most of a day, with a lot of the villagers standing around watching the process.

The other was at a brand-new under-construction luxury resort in southern Egypt. It was so new the marina had no docks, cleats, or bollards. We tied to lamp posts next to the concrete quay.

The American-educated brothers building the resort promised us fuel. It showed up the next day in the form of a small tank in a donkey cart.

Be aware that a nice marina is no guarantee of good fuel. The only place I know I got bad fuel was in one of the fanciest marinas in the USVI.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Typically farmers and industry are supplied by a fuel company

these companies have several grades of fuel and are mostly reliable

in general you use a local agent , who Know s the fuel situation ,

a 12 or 24 v fuel transfer pump is a handy tool to have on a boat

they are always on the small side for liters per hour , but better than the broken panga drivers rig

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Yes indeed

I’ve often taken fuel out of steel barrels from a Panga or out of a pickup truck with a 1000 liter fuel cube in its bed

it is what it is

but when calculating fuel burn consider fuel quality …cetane , sulphur and oxidation
mackenzie is getting fuel from a west coast marina - not sure he can dial up a recipe.

mckenzie.keith

Aspiring Anarchist
Santa Cruz
Some harbors have more than 1 fuel dock.
mackenzie is getting fuel from a west coast marina - not sure he can dial up a recipe.
Sometimes there is more than one fuel dock to chose from. But I think the only thing the dock workers know is that it is red diesel.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Sometimes there is more than one fuel dock to chose from.
The important thing is that there is high turnover at the pump. Fishing boat docks are generally better than marinas in this respect. Usually all the diesel comes from the same (nearest) refinery anyway, regardless of brand. Additives may vary though. Now that the majority of storage tanks are above ground, water in the fuel is less of an issue (but always fill through a filter funnel).

Reading this back, I sound like Slug.:ROFLMAO: