Guitar Player Anarchy

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
I did this using the dye/sand back/dye again process. Speaking modestly, it looks even better in person.

View attachment 551247
Nice! Here is my Collings I-35 deluxe, Ron Ellis LRP pickups.
Collings_I35Deluxe_LH_Caramel_85.jpg

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
So I'm moving along today, and getting pummeled with sawdust, and feeling pretty good about the progress.
PJ_025.jpg

I sanded the bridge for grounding purposes. But earlier, back at the ranch...
PJ_026.jpg

As I was checking the depth for the pots section, I goofed.

For those who know shit about tools, you gotta make sure the router bit has been fully retracted before setting it on whatever.

Grog

Anarchist's Anarchist
Germany
So I'm moving along today, and getting pummeled with sawdust, and feeling pretty good about the progress.
View attachment 552150
I sanded the bridge for grounding purposes. But earlier, back at the ranch...
View attachment 552151
As I was checking the depth for the pots section, I goofed.

For those who know shit about tools, you gotta make sure the router bit has been fully retracted before setting it on whatever.

I do like the angle of that cut.

As proposed by @Quickstep192, make it feature.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Anyone who owns a router has done that. Deepen it a little, put a piece of abalone in there and call it a feature! :)
I was thinking of carving out a bass clef and incorporating the screw up into it. Then filling with black epoxy. But my enthusiasm for doing that work is about what it is for most things today. Meh.

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
It took me over two hours to set that up and about 2 minutes to spray the body and neck.
Jules, What are you spraying? Is it Behlen’s Nitro Stringed Instrument Lacquer?

What gun are you using? Tip size? Are you thinning it? Using additives? I’m trying to get better at spraying by learning from others experience. My attempts haven’t turned out well.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Jules, What are you spraying? Is it Behlen’s Nitro Stringed Instrument Lacquer?

What gun are you using? Tip size? Are you thinning it? Using additives? I’m trying to get better at spraying by learning from others experience. My attempts haven’t turned out well.
Yes on the lacquer. But if you buy it today I think Mohawk bought them out. I've got a Fuji Super 3 Gold HVLP with a gravity XPC gun with a 3H tip.

I don't thin unless it's very humid and since I avoid humid days, I haven't needed to thin. No additives.

On this guitar I didn't seal the sapele. All the other guitars I built were sealed with dewaxed shellac. The body of this bass and of the first guitar I made are from the same slab. But spraying without sealing had created a different effect.
PJ_032.jpg
It feels like leather. But I'm thinking about leaving it as is. Bass guitars are usually a little different. And I won't have to go through hours of wet sanding.

PJ_030.jpg
PJ_031.jpg
Of course the difference could be that the lacquer is at least 7 years old. Shelf life is said to be 3 years. Then again, maybe I'm not remembering too good what spraying lacquer was like back then. :unsure:

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
WOW! That neck is wicked!

I've read a lot of good stuff about the Fuji HVLP systems. I might have to bite the bullet.
It worked great right out of the box and is still going strong 10 years later.

It's another great day for spraying and I'm laying down the last coat on the body. The neck will need a few more because I missed spraying it for a few coats. But that sprayer makes it so enjoyable.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Well, so much for sex, drugs, and rock and roll....

I saw Little Feat a couple of nights ago. four of the members are in their 70's. They can still kill it playing, but by the end of the night I'm guessing they just want to sleep.

Dog 2.0

Super Anarchist
Tip from my teacher. When practicing scales hold your fingers down until you absolutely need that finger to play the next note. It might be more a classical thing, but it's helped me.