Gulf of maine scuttlebut

Catamount

Super Anarchist
Way to go Greyhawk!!! Nice job! And a good-sized cruising class to boot! But no race 2? Was that because of weather coming through?
The class looks a lot different this year. Lots of new names, and missing some old timers (like us).
Day 2, wind speed = 0.0 knots most of the day in the start area. The RC was able to get Division 1 off, but then they basically sat off either side of Squirrel for a looonnnnggg time (the fleet split with two boats going to the east and two to the west of Squirrel). They tried to start Division 2, but issued a general recall a few minutes after the gun when it was clear no one was going to go anywhere. Eventually we could see the Div.1 boats starting to heel a bit as a little (just a little) bit of breeze started to fill in. We thought it would come up to us, so the rest of us might be able to get a race in too (in the rain), but it was very patchy and never materialized. After much discussion over the VHF between the RC and the Div. 1 boats about how it was going out there, they abandoned Div. 2, 3, 4 and Cruising at around 14:20(?), by which time it had started raining pretty good, with several boats already having retired.

dirtdog

Super Anarchist
b_and_g.jpg

Catamount

Super Anarchist
Can anyone verify that Div 1 raced on Sunday and they were the only ones to race that day?
I can confirm that Division 1 did start a race on Sunday and were still racing when the rest of us were excused. See Post #3786 for my previous report on that. The RC stayed on station for the Div 1 boats to finish, and they all (RC and Div 1 boats) showed up at the BHYC together quite some time after the rest of us had arrived. So it would seem sensible that they did finish the race that they started, but I don't know that for sure. The results list four races for Division 1, but only 2 races for Divisions 2, 3 & 4. It would make sense that Div.1 was able to get in 3 races on Saturday, with the 4th race being on Sunday.

Jangles13

Anarchist
Maine
Unusual request:

Anyone who would consider, or knows of someone, taking a group of 6-7 twentysomething girls having a bachelorette party for a booze cruise around Portland Harbor or similar? This would be the evening of August 16th (Saturday). I'm not aware of any commercial outfits that might provide such a service. This would be preferably be on a sailing vessel of appropriate size and the vessel's skipper/captain/owner to keep things on an even keel.

I will not be in attendance nor do I have any attachments to any of the ladies, simply a request from a non-sailor friend.

Probably best to PM me...

Kitty in Drag

Anarchist
Unusual request:
Anyone who would consider, or knows of someone, taking a group of 6-7 twentysomething girls having a bachelorette party for a booze cruise around Portland Harbor or similar? This would be the evening of August 16th (Saturday). I'm not aware of any commercial outfits that might provide such a service. This would be preferably be on a sailing vessel of appropriate size and the vessel's skipper/captain/owner to keep things on an even keel.

I will not be in attendance nor do I have any attachments to any of the ladies, simply a request from a non-sailor friend.

This is a joke right?

Next you're going to tell us that you are from Nigeria and want to split a Bizzion dollars with us!

dirtdog

Super Anarchist
Unusual request:

whats so unusual about that, we get those sort of requests all the time.

I hear Kitty has a cake he'll jump out of.................

Last edited by a moderator:

stickboy

Super Anarchist
Maine
Everyone enjoy the delivery back to Casco Bay last night? When we eased everything out to run in at Little Mark Island I said "it just seems like we should be going faster" and C Kock responded in a tone of what-the-hell-do-you-want "We're doing 8 knots!". Of course that's over the ground against an outgoing tide. That was about the time the lightning was peaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone enjoy the delivery back to Casco Bay last night? When we eased everything out to run in at Little Mark Island I said "it just seems like we should be going faster" and C Kock responded in a tone of what-the-hell-do-you-want "We're doing 8 knots!". Of course that's over the ground against an outgoing tide. That was about the time the lightning was peaking.
Wow! How hard was it blowing?