Gulf of maine scuttlebut

Kitty in Drag

Anarchist
Just want to throw some gas on the dwindling fire of rating spread in A class.
1) It's not about J 35's

2) It not about favorable or unfavorable ratings

3) Yes I like sailing in a large a class

4) I do it for fun so who really gives a shit who wins, I want to win, but here's to ya if you beat my ass -unless a Maine boat goes to Marblehead, or Keywest or something then it's all about kicking ass.

5) TOT is homo so my comments are on TOD

If a race is conducted with equal consistant wind speed and direction, our rating spread is fine, I'll race against the 105's, M24 who ever on a SC 70. The problem comes when one of two events occur.

A- the faster lower rated boats get to the wind first -assuming there in front, and open up a large lead on the fleet.

B- the wind fills in from behind and the higher rated boats close the gap on the lower rated boats who don't have the wind yet.

Yes, I realize that this is all part of the game, but if you have a rating spread that is 20 points, the above A- and B- do not influence the results all that much. The wider the spread the more these outside uncontrolable factors influence the race.

The more often the uncontroled factors influence the results the less fun it becomes. We have to go out there and race with what we've got. I think A class has alot of good sailors who are capable of winning any given race in consistant conditions.

so to end this with a question: Assuming 2007 is not the time to change the spread (which most likely means adjusting B,C,D also, it's not just an A class thing) when is the time to do it. If we had 16 boats on a reg. basis with a spread of 120 sec per mile in A class? Do we not allow boats that rate less then -X to race to preserve what has seemingly always been there? When do you shuffle the numbers?
After this season- we need to push the issue at the GMORA meeting. It is not the sacred cow that many think. It can be changed.

sshow bob

Super Anarchist
Maine
Guys - its very simple. Organize a block of votes. Tell your board of elected directors to include an item at the business meeting, which this year will be part of the awards dinner in October. Your elected directors will present the question to the membership. There will be a vote. The result of the vote will determine the rating spread. Its that simple. No secret polls or ballots or anything else. At the same time, it won't be changed by the board absent a vote of the membership unless it is very clear that a concensus has developed. At this time, there is a sufficient split on the issue that board action absent a vote is unlikely.

stickboy

Super Anarchist
Maine
Guys - its very simple. Organize a block of votes. Tell your board of elected directors to include an item at the business meeting, which this year will be part of the awards dinner in October. Your elected directors will present the question to the membership. There will be a vote. The result of the vote will determine the rating spread. Its that simple. No secret polls or ballots or anything else. At the same time, it won't be changed by the board absent a vote of the membership unless it is very clear that a concensus has developed. At this time, there is a sufficient split on the issue that board action absent a vote is unlikely.
Ugh, please don't put this on the agenda at the awards banquet. I realize it's the time when there is the most GMORA members gathered onshore and I whole heartedly agree that as many voices as possible should be heard on the subject, but - if we start on this we won't get anything else done.

On the other hand, I strongly urge any and all interested GMORA members to contact other interested members to assult the GMORA board and either get on the agenda of a regular meeting or request a special meeting to discuss the issue.

As SShow said, the board won't make a change without a clear concensus and like Kitty said, it's no sacred cow. Everyone wants to make it as much fun as possible but where the has to be compromise, someone won't get their way. That's why there has to be a vote (and WAS a vote this year) and we all have to acknowledge it's the best choice for all concerned.

dirtdog

Super Anarchist
I hope this changes; It would be nice to have some breeze.

Sat

W winds around 5 kt...becoming S in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

Sat Night

SW winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

Is the start really at 11:15 or some nonsense? Looks like we will be working on on tan Sat. afternoon.

alteredst88

Super Anarchist
Maine
B) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt B @ Jul 6 2006, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

What? No talk of the PHRF champs? Max, is there a Scratch sheet? Who what are we racing resting against?

:ph34r:

/c

Carl: Oh no! Homer's going over those falls!

Lenny: Oh good! He snagged that tree branch.

Carl: Oh no! The branch broke off!

Lenny: Oh good! He can grab onto them pointy rocks!

Carl: Oh no! Them pointy rocks broke his arms and legs.

Lenny: Oh good! Those helpful beavers are swimming out to save him!

Carl: Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

G

maxluff

Super Anarchist
Gulf of Maine
B) -->

QUOTE(Matt B @ Jul 6 2006, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What? No talk of the PHRF champs? Max, is there a Scratch sheet? Who are we racing against?
The usual suspects:

Class A Revolution Ed Rogers 48

Class A Kaos Scott Smithwick 69

Class A Big Dog Party Pete Price 12

Class A Bandito Dick Hale -3

Class A Wiley Bruce Cumback 72

Class A Scaramouche Merle Hallet 60

Class A Pain Killer Rick Simmons 42

Class A Whiplash Theodore Smith 72

Class A Beausoleil Richard Parent 75

Class A Tamarack Bob Kellogg 60

Class A Revo Ocho Doyle & Jim Marchant 45

maxluff

Super Anarchist
Gulf of Maine
B) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt B @ Jul 6 2006, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

What? No talk of the PHRF champs? Max, is there a Scratch sheet? Who what are we racing resting against?

:ph34r:

/c
Carl: Oh no! Homer's going over those falls!

Lenny: Oh good! He snagged that tree branch.

Carl: Oh no! The branch broke off!

Lenny: Oh good! He can grab onto them pointy rocks!

Carl: Oh no! Them pointy rocks broke his arms and legs.

Lenny: Oh good! Those helpful beavers are swimming out to save him!

Carl: Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

G

Tu madre! :rolleyes:

Adios Pantelones! B)

alteredst88

Super Anarchist
Maine
B) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt B @ Jul 6 2006, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

What? No talk of the PHRF champs? Max, is there a Scratch sheet? Who are we racing against?
The usual suspects:

Jesus Max... You shouldn't post the results until AFTER the race...

G

Kitty in Drag

Anarchist
Ugh, please don't put this on the agenda at the awards banquet. I realize it's the time when there is the most GMORA members gathered onshore and I whole heartedly agree that as many voices as possible should be heard on the subject, but - if we start on this we won't get anything else done.

On the other hand, I strongly urge any and all interested GMORA members to contact other interested members to assult the GMORA board and either get on the agenda of a regular meeting or request a special meeting to discuss the issue.

As SShow said, the board won't make a change without a clear concensus and like Kitty said, it's no sacred cow. Everyone wants to make it as much fun as possible but where the has to be compromise, someone won't get their way. That's why there has to be a vote (and WAS a vote this year) and we all have to acknowledge it's the best choice for all concerned.
I can't believe I'm doing this...

To the Board of GMORA...

After the 2006 season a group of good looking owners would like a special meeting called to discuss the rating bands for the upcoming season.

We acknowedge that if we do not show up or voice our opinion at the special meeting we will STFU for the next year.

Yours Truely,

Kitty

B) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt B @ Jul 6 2006, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

The usual suspects:

Jesus Max... You shouldn't post the results until AFTER the race...

G

yea, I'm not liking that next to last place behind the Beneteau, thats happened once this year, and it's not going to happen again!

stickboy

Super Anarchist
Maine
To the Board of GMORA...

After the 2006 season a group of good looking owners would like a special meeting called to discuss the rating bands for the upcoming season.

We acknowedge that if we do not show up or voice our opinion at the special meeting we will STFU for the next year.

Yours Truely,

Kitty
Kitty, you are man of honor and integrity. I acknowledge your request.

As for the timing, it should come very soon after the 2006 season so that we can come to some sort of concensus before the annual meeting/awards banquet. That way we can have a vote with as much of the membership as possible in attendance but without an uncontrollable amount of discussion.

stickboy

Super Anarchist
Maine
Now, to hijack this thread for a moment-

Who is planning on doing the now famous Admiral Perry "Get There Any Way Possible" Race?

Just wondering how many boats and how long the finish line might be up.

Kitty in Drag

Anarchist
I believe that it is going to be a sailing race, Stickboy. Don't get me wrong stickboy if there is only a knot of wind then D-Sail to the nearest bar at warp speed 4.

I believe that we are going to take our own times .

HYC has volunteered to start the race and score it.

Let's talk about start times and finish line. The starting line should, in my opinion, be inside Eagle Island.

Maybe the finish line should be a range between the Cuckcolds and Fishermand point (or a government mark up there.)

What do you guys want

stickboy

Super Anarchist
Maine
I believe that it is going to be a sailing race, Stickboy. Don't get me wrong stickboy if there is only a knot of wind then D-Sail to the nearest bar at warp speed 4.

Let's talk about start times and finish line. The starting line should, in my opinion, be inside Eagle Island.

Maybe the finish line should be a range between the Cuckcolds and Fishermand point (or a government mark up there.)

What do you guys want
I'd swear I read somewhere that Bob was going to finish boats. I'll have to get back to you on that. Was it in the HYC newsletter?

Kitty in Drag

Anarchist
sIDESHOW bOB FINISHES US? No, he needs to race.

In a tribute to Admiral Perry this should be a take your own time race. Remember Admiral Perry told us he made it to the pole. ( but did he?????)

maxluff

Super Anarchist
Gulf of Maine

What do you guys want?
Thanks to Kitty to arrange start. As the NOR states:

Schedule of Events:

Check in with committee no later than 1114

Six-minute sequence starts at 1129

DIV 3 1135

DIV 2 1145

DIV 1 1155

Courses and Means of Propulsion:

Course is 20.0 nm. Start shall be on Broad Sound southwest of Eagle Island. Near (Gong G”1”)

COURSE:

Appropriately: Drunkard’s Ledge must be left to Port. While you are at it, leave nearby

R N “2” to Port as well. (There appears to be a 4-foot spot inside of that mark!)

Sequin Island must be left to Port and ALL other navigational marks need to be honored!

One is allowed to run one’s said engine for one hour should the wind conditions drop below 5

knots. Racing class is ‘suggested’ to not use their engines in event of light wind conditions.

El Ocho motors at over seven knots, Finish shall be between Cuckold’s Light and (G ”1C”) All boats will be finished by 1800. No

finish Committee shall be present so the vessel’s skipper is responsible for logging his own GPS

time and contacting the race officials at Hawk’s in Boothbay by 1915 or 1930

Last edited by a moderator:

maxluff

Super Anarchist
Gulf of Maine

To the Board of GMORA...

Yours Truely,

Kitty
Kitty, you are man of honor and integrity. I acknowledge your request.

As for the timing, it should come very soon after the 2006 season so that we can come to some sort of concensus before the annual meeting/awards banquet. That way we can have a vote with as much of the membership as possible in attendance but without an uncontrollable amount of discussion.

The honorable Maxluff concurs....

Jerk

Maine
If a Melges24 doesn't win in this light light breeze...something is seriously wrong. This was proven several years ago at MS.