Gulf of maine scuttlebut

cooneyes

Member
95
0
Noank, CT
Lookin' forward to the weekend. The party probably won't be at Wedgie's, but either way, something will happen and it will be a good time as always.

 

cooneyes

Member
95
0
Noank, CT
Don't forget about El Reefo...spanish for "The Reef". The one bar in Castine that will be shut down at the end of the summer cause some prick says it makes too much noise. Boo hoo...people need to drink.

 
G

graceful

Guest
so im hoping for either 25+ winds this weekend, or less then 10.

should be a good group at camden/castine!

 

Taintlifegrand

New member
10
0
I am rather dissapointed that I haven't seen a single thread complaining about Southport's legendary race organizers...And in particular their downright pitiful decision (in my opinion) to abandon the second race on Sunday...I guess I must place too high a value on my free time :angry:

 

dirtdog

Super Anarchist
2,040
0
I am rather dissapointed that I haven't seen a single thread complaining about Southport's legendary race organizers...And in particular their downright pitiful decision (in my opinion) to abandon the second race on Sunday...I guess I must place too high a value on my free time :angry:
I think they are trying to start a new tradition in Southport, to cancel the last race on Sun.

did the time limit expire?

 

Taintlifegrand

New member
10
0
I am rather dissapointed that I haven't seen a single thread complaining about Southport's legendary race organizers...And in particular their downright pitiful decision (in my opinion) to abandon the second race on Sunday...I guess I must place too high a value on my free time :angry:
I think they are trying to start a new tradition in Southport, to cancel the last race on Sun.

did the time limit expire?
No...they just had the wrong head count for sandwiches...No joke.

 

flyonwall

Member
117
0
Saturday was good, although rather wet. and some pretty crazy winds

Sunday was..err.. interesting. there was some breeze for the first race, but it pretty much died and was a drift with the current back to the finish. the breeze picked up and the tried to start another. Good breeze until about halfway up the windward leg. it then died again and some of us started to go backwards...Bandito and I think Wiley followed the breeze around the mark but lost it coming back down. Just after called the race, breeze started to fill in on the left side, NW I think. some boats started bitching but they can't un abandon a race, and at the time they made the right call. they probably could have tried another, but it would have been real late by the time it would have wrapped up.

Feel free to add... idunno when the breeze started to fill on the left

Good food though

 

flyonwall

Member
117
0
oh my god, that friggin sandwich conversation.. i forgot about that. thats was bloody annoying.

I think when they abandoned the we had been racing for two hours? what was the time limit? i dont remember.

 

Taintlifegrand

New member
10
0
Saturday was good, although rather wet. and some pretty crazy windsSunday was..err.. interesting. there was some breeze for the first race, but it pretty much died and was a drift with the current back to the finish. the breeze picked up and the tried to start another. Good breeze until about halfway up the windward leg. it then died again and some of us started to go backwards...Bandito and I think Wiley followed the breeze around the mark but lost it coming back down. Just after called the race, breeze started to fill in on the left side, NW I think. some boats started bitching but they can't un abandon a race, and at the time they made the right call. they probably could have tried another, but it would have been real late by the time it would have wrapped up.

Feel free to add... idunno when the breeze started to fill on the left

Good food though
I am quite sure there was no time limit in place for the race, only a time limit from the bullet. Those who had rounded the final mark were in very light wind, but also had tide taking them straight to the finish. My guess is Bandito and Wiley would have been finished within 30 minutes of the abandonment. In regards to arguing the decision, it was more frustration than anything. Nobody thought they would actually reverse the decision...but guys, really....it was 2:30pm!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course an un-named VIP quit...which may have been the catalyst. ;)

 

sshow bob

Super Anarchist
2,362
301
Maine
Arg. The sucked! We were about to take our first gun in a GMORA race in the slow boat division. Good weekend though - the Bandito crew made sure Hawke's will never be the same...

 

sshow bob

Super Anarchist
2,362
301
Maine
What doubly sucked was the breaze filling in from outside. The slow boats had been sent outside on the last leg of our course. At the moment of the gun, the wind was filling in from our quarter and we were making 5 knots straight at the line.

 
The thread on abandoning the race Sunday is a core indication with what's wrong with sailboat racing in Maine. About 5% of those who race or used to race actually volunteer their time for any racing-related activities- be it race committee or on-shore activities. the other 95% take. Those that take do not contibute in any way other than by participating. Those 5% that give face a thankless if not unpleasant task of attempting to please the other 95%.

I was not at the races this weekend but I did hear from both participants and those running the races. My conclusion from those conversations was that the wind for the second race was at best unreliable and most likely an unfair test of sailing skills. No decision in hindsight looks the same-good or bad- at the time it is made. What irks me is those that theorize that there was something unseemly going on with the decision made to abandon the race. Shame on all of you for thinking let alone airing such thoughts. Until the 95% that take are put in this difficult position to give, you will never understand or appreciate what a thankless and unpleasant task it is to please the takers.

 

Taintlifegrand

New member
10
0
The thread on abandoning the race Sunday is a core indication with what's wrong with sailboat racing in Maine. About 5% of those who race or used to race actually volunteer their time for any racing-related activities- be it race committee or on-shore activities. the other 95% take. Those that take do not contibute in any way other than by participating. Those 5% that give face a thankless if not unpleasant task of attempting to please the other 95%.
I was not at the races this weekend but I did hear from both participants and those running the races. My conclusion from those conversations was that the wind for the second race was at best unreliable and most likely an unfair test of sailing skills. No decision in hindsight looks the same-good or bad- at the time it is made. What irks me is those that theorize that there was something unseemly going on with the decision made to abandon the race. Shame on all of you for thinking let alone airing such thoughts. Until the 95% that take are put in this difficult position to give, you will never understand or appreciate what a thankless and unpleasant task it is to please the takers.
Thanks for clarifying who I am...a "taker". And furthermore, I appreciate the enormous assumptions, and baseless data about what percentage of sailors are "takers". You wield quite a sword under cloak :ph34r: . Because this is an open forum for "takers" and "givers", I think I can theorize about anything I damn well please...Hence the term anarchy....

 

mainefarr43

New member
37
5
ahhh yeah, doggone, thanks for clearing that up. i feell all dirty and shameful now. but i'll change, i swear. nxt year, i'll be the first to make sure the spyc rc has the right sandwhiches, so they can clutter up the radio, during the race, w/more important matters-like which tie to wear w/ which shorts.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

sshow bob

Super Anarchist
2,362
301
Maine
Doggone, et al: A point of clarification, at least on my post. "That sucked" doesn't suggest malfeasance on the part of the race committee. They did a great job, threw a great weekend for us, and I appreciate it, told them so in person Sunday, and sent Bud and Win both a thank you Monday morning. But: for us, it sucked! :D

As to doing race committee - everyone should get on the RC boat from time to time. Its hard work, and we all ought to appreciate the work being done for us. I'd never done it until I volunteered for the Etchells New Englands last fall. I'd been taking the RC for granted, but not again!

 
I'm glad I've been challenged on my 5%/95% givers/takers assumption being wrong. Now where's the evidence to back that assertion up? If this is anarchy, so be it!! BRING IT ON!

 

dirtdog

Super Anarchist
2,040
0
95% of all people who do RC are over sensitive to what people say about races. poll data is not being released to protect the innocent. just try being like the other 5%.

RC is always appreciated, but if you do RC you can not get your back up about people commenting or complaining about a race, take it as constructive criticism because it will not just go away. Just becuase people voice there thoughts about RC work doesn't mean they think you suck at it, they are actually gald you are doing it. take it from a taker.

EDIT: alright maybe my poll data is skewed

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts




Top