Gunboat 60 Sea Trial Video

Se7en_speed

US
Video shot by somebody of the new Gunboat 60 on sea trials

WARNING: MUTE THE VIDEO, THERE IS NOTHING BUT CRAPPY TECHNO IN THE BACKGROUND

Centerboard calibration!

Push button controls for the mainsheet? Nifty,

It looks like they got her going pretty quickly in light wind. Uploader claims 19.5 knots, I'd be interested to see the specifics.

No shots of the lower deck, wonder what the layout/kit is like.

Last edited by a moderator:

drakeborer

WARNING: MUTE THE VIDEO, THERE IS NOTHING BUT CRAPPY TECHNO IN THE BACKGROUND

She looks great!! Would love to see her in some more breeze. Gotta wonder though, judging by the music, were these guys on board?

All kidding aside, looks like a truly amazing set up!

dan360

USA
Looks like the hulls are wrapped rather than painted - look at the edging if you pause at 35s or so. Interesting.

Cool video.

dan360

USA
Painted...and 19.5k is verified.

I can't open video...can anyone post a link?
Go to you tube and search for PMMzSLJcUxY if I put the link in, this forum just embeds the youtube here.

If painted, the painters in China probably need to learn about masking tape :) that's not a blend line between the white and blue that anyone could be proud of, and if a high quality image is desired the visible stuff has to be perfect no?

Last edited by a moderator:

ease hike trim

Super Anarchist
You can analyze film until you find the second gunman in the grassy knoll, but everybody who set foot on the boat while I was around was completely blown away by the fit and finish. Congratulations to Gunboat on raising the bar...amazing boat. 12.5 knots upwind with the baby screecher in 14 knots of breeze. Not my place to talk about it further but I will restate that the build quality is insane.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Hmm, can I be the curmudgeon? Lots of it looks nice. I guess it's not exactly a mom and pop boat judging by the 2 big guys lugging the A sail.

Couple of ergonomic issues I saw: the foredeck hatch that is flush at 4:18 that shows that nicely faired shaped whatever pointed foredeck and then where the deck becomes very rounded. To me it looks like a slip hazard leading to a waterslide. The flush hatch looks nice but I kind of picture stepping on it while it's wet and zipping forward onto the rounded deck and going for a swim. I hate rounded decks like that on multis. I guess you're not supposed to walk on them because the lifelines end about 5m from the bow.

The second was the wee triangular teak steps from the aft deck down into the lower transom steps. They don't actually look wide enough for a human foot.

By the lee

Super Anarchist
If painted, the painters in China probably need to learn about masking tape :) that's not a blend line between the white and blue that anyone could be proud of, and if a high quality image is desired the visible stuff has to be perfect no?
Yeah as an ex-painter that jumped right out and bit me. Wadda'ya mean "wrapped"?

jetboy

Super Anarchist
Yeah as an ex-painter that jumped right out and bit me. Wadda'ya mean "wrapped"?
I noticed that as well. Looks like they used regular masking tape to mask a spray job and it bled underneath. If it were my boat and I noticed that, I'd add a pin strip in dark blue to cover it up, but that's just me.

If you're wondering what a wrap is - it's a thin plastic film that's heat formed to fit tightly like clear bra only colored. Lots of cars have wraps put on them for advertising and such. It's super durable and you can take it off if you get tired of the color for a lot less than repainting. A lot more durable than pretty much any paint would be for abrasion and things like docking mistakes.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and also the critiques. We did not expect to see a video of our preliminary sea trials.....This Gunboat 60 is NOT delivered yet. For you paint experts, I can assure you that all details will be cleaned up before the boat is delivered.

Speng

Super Anarchist
Cincinnati, OH
Looks better in video than the renders on the web site.

Is the mainsheet hydraulic hence the one line sheet?

Snuffers are so 2000s, time for a r/f kite (yes they do exist).

Where's the mast rotator bit? I didn't see it.

What would really be cool is some kind of auto-stacker for the main.

Thanks Speng.

Mainsheet is hydraulic.

Waiting to see furling asym systems work with full girths for a little longer before committing.

Mast rotation is under the deck.

A big V-boom and those lazy jacks work pretty well for stacking the main. Keep in mind the large roach. What did you have in mind?

Clean, tackle for mast rotator is under the deck. You can see the carbon quadrant at the base set into the deck.

Presuming Ed, I have seen those youtube videos. In every case and make, the videos are on smaller boats in flat water. Love the idea of being able to furl. With everything onboard our boats, we will want to test it offshore and in less than ideal circumstances before advocating it.

Speng

Super Anarchist
Cincinnati, OH
I thought there were some offshore racers that've used them? never used a sock but have heard the horror stories.

Pics of the mast rotator would be interesting. I assume you have to release and adjust on each tack. I thought the latest thought was to adjust off the boom so it's "self tacking"

The mainsail thing was something that popped into my mind...

John Crandall

NYC
Peter,

Congratulations to the Gunboat family on a gorgeous craft! I gather you'll be emailing everyone with an announcement about the GB60 once she has been delivered? Looks like the solar panels had not been installed. Also, seems as though there was not enough wind to that day to push the 60. Do you have more sea trials planned? Any comments about her light air performance? I understand form Marstrom's efforts, that this boat is rigged to fly a hull earlier, thus be a better light air performer than the 66 (especially with rotating mast...).

JC