Gunboat 80

Greenflash

We've quietly been working on something new the past few months. Watch this space!

GB80 Tease SA.jpg

us7070

Super Anarchist
cool - i'm sure it will be amazing...

i'm guessing someone came along and said "the 68 is nice, but i need something bigger..."

us7070

Super Anarchist
soma said:
I’m impressed. Launching one boat per year didn’t seem like a viable business plan. I would’ve thought a “going out of business” announcement would’ve come next. 

I guess things are better than they look. Congrats. 
well, the design and build of the first 68 was always going to be a long time.., it is an amazing boat.

but that was launched in early 2019, and now #3 in mid 2020 - so that's 3 boats in ~18 months.

they are doing a great job in LGM, and the GB brand could not have landed in better hands than GLY.

for sure, there is going to be more and more competition in this segment - ultra high-end high-performance cruising catamarans - but the shift to multihulls will only accelerate. i don't think there is anything better than the 68 out there now in that category. HH is building fast boats, but they are not at this level of refinement. other than that, there are a lot of designs - and a few have been built - but with GLY / GB on #4 now, I'm pretty sure they are getting it dialed in - where else would you go for a boat like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
well, the design and build of the first 68 was always going to be a long time.., it is an amazing boat.

but that was launched in early 2019, and now #3 in mid 2020 - so that's 3 boats in ~18 months.

they are doing a great job in LGM, and the GB brand could not have landed in better hands than GLY.

for sure, there is going to be more and more competition in this segment - ultra high-end high-performance cruising catamarans - but the shift to multihulls will only accelerate. i don't think there is anything better than the 68 out there now in that category. HH is building fast boats, but they are not at this level of refinement. other than that, there are a lot of designs - and a few have been built - but with GLY / GB on #4 now, I'm pretty sure they are getting it dialed in - where else would you go for a boat like this?
I know what HH and GB is, but what is LGM and GLY? Must be code that only the cool people know.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Oh c’mon!  They’re using J/Boat marketing!  It’ll be a 26 footer!   :D

Vincent

Its Grand Large Yachting and despite the name they seem to be doing a very good job with Gunboat.  Other than some ex-employees who seem to like to throw shade I have heard nothing but positives. 
Well, I'm an ex-employee, and if you gave me the money to pick whichever boat I want on the market, I'd just drive straight to La Grande-Motte.  :D

If you also pay for berthing and crew, I'd go to the Gunboat shed, otherwise I'd stick with something more reasonable from the workshop next door. A 4X probably.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Well, I'm an ex-employee, and if you gave me the money to pick whichever boat I want on the market, I'd just drive straight to La Grande-Motte.  :D

If you also pay for berthing and crew, I'd go to the Gunboat shed, otherwise I'd stick with something more reasonable from the workshop next door. A 4X probably.
Yea the wife and I may well be checking out that same workshop. Outremer (also a GLY company) is more our flavor as owner/operators. To be fair there are a lot of GLY companies that impress me (as a boater).

us7070

Super Anarchist
Yea the wife and I may well be checking out that same workshop. Outremer (also a GLY company) is more our flavor as owner/operators. To be fair there are a lot of GLY companies that impress me (as a boater).

GLY owns some very cool brands

picking  up RM seems a bit of a gamble, but I'm guessing it didn't cost much. They are interesting boats - i was able to look one over (from the outside) a few days ago. It was on the hard at the yard where i wintered. it is a twin keel version. i finally saw it in the water and could see the cockpit and deck. They sort of have the same target use, but I'm sure at a fraction of the price, as the aluminum monohulls from GLY. The fit and finish is a bit workman-like, but i'm sure they get the job done, and it keeps the price reasonable.

Wess

Super Anarchist
GLY owns some very cool brands

picking  up RM seems a bit of a gamble, but I'm guessing it didn't cost much. They are interesting boats - i was able to look one over (from the outside) a few days ago. It was on the hard at the yard where i wintered. it is a twin keel version. i finally saw it in the water and could see the cockpit and deck. They sort of have the same target use, but I'm sure at a fraction of the price, as the aluminum monohulls from GLY. The fit and finish is a bit workman-like, but i'm sure they get the job done, and it keeps the price reasonable.
Yea I don't know the RM yard or the rationale for that acquisition but the brands they have are all pretty cool and aligned with our interests.  OK maybe GB not so much but if you gave us one... and the budget for crew and maintenance...  I suppose we would be willing to suffer in silence.  Actually AC temp controlled silence so not so much suffering LOL. 

Wess

Super Anarchist
soma said:
We are in the Grenadines. We spent the first part of the pandemic in Dominica, then when everyone went full lockdowm we backtracked to our house on St. John. Once hurricane season fired up and the S. Caribbean re-opened we sailed down here to St. Vincent. Sometime soon we'll hop to Grenada to get in their bubble. They require a strict 2--weeek quarantine aboard before allowing yachts in. 
Ah so you folks are dodging covid and hurricanes. Good luck with both.

Back to GB80...

mpenman

Pompano Beach
That's well done. I'm excited. I believe that most people who can afford an 80 ft sailboat, want it actually frigging sail. I know that a Sunreef with 18 fridges and 3 icemakers are great at the dock, but to start clocking past 13knots average, you have to have a light boat.

More pics!!!

Tylo

Sweden
Absolutely awesome, can't wait to see more. Will this thing be able to give the Gunboat 90 a run for it's money?

Great job over at Gunboat!