Gunboat Paint?

solarfuel

Does anyone know what kind of paint Gunboat was using on the 48s? Getting ready to give 4806 some needed love and don't want to do more damage than good.

Awlgrip, Awlcraft, Imron, PPG Concept, Alexseal.... so many options each with there own caveats on compounding/polishing/waxing etc... 

IMG_3644.jpg

solarfuel

Thanks for the recommendation @mpenman.

We are trying to buff/polish some of the scratching in the starboard hull left by fender rub. Boat was previously tied to a tdock for most if its life and the starboard side got a lot of abuse. Port side looks almost new. I don't believe you can buff/polish awlgrip so I am really hoping Gunboat was using Imron or PPG. Unfortunately it looks like the new 68s are all painted with different products, 6801 was alwgirp, 6804 was map yachting paint, not sure about 02, 03 or 05.

After we get the scratches out we will definitely be looking into a ceramic coating!

Greenflash

Does anyone know what kind of paint Gunboat was using on the 48s? Getting ready to give 4806 some needed love and don't want to do more damage than good.

Awlgrip, Awlcraft, Imron, PPG Concept, Alexseal.... so many options each with there own caveats on compounding/polishing/waxing etc...
Hi, Sorry I missed this one. Gunboat was using Awlgrip and Alexseal... my guess is probably for the Alexseal during that time. If it is really important to you to get the right reference I can do some asking around (I was not involved at that time). But to be honest, all of the paints you mention will be compatible with one another. Get a professional to do an assessment for you on adhesion, what is surveyed will tell you how much of the old stuff you should take off. 

When choosing a new paint, consider your local applicator recommendations (I tend to let painters use what THEY think is best... listen to the painters!) and long term support, service and supply in the boats area. Akzonobel (algrip/awlcraft), alexseal and PPG are all good, some have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I am no expert in the mysterious world of sorcery that are paint jobs, but have learnt to invest heavily in the best equipment and people... and not to push them to take risks.