gunboats racing

BVI
Whilst not wanting to take anything away from these fine machines...

Shirley didn't mention that some of her fellow Brits sailed a 29yr old Derek Kelsall trimaran with an aluminium 'telegraph pole' of a mast and oodles of weight aloft past ALL the gunboats by mid way thro the third leg during that final race at this years Heineken regatta.

'Safari', which was miles ahead of the other 4 gunboats did manage to sqeak us at the finish BUT they had started 10mins earlier!

Go 'Triple Jack'!!

It would be nice to see the gunboats starting with the other racing multihulls next year so we can mix it up boat to boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Manko

Anarchist
Just found this on CNN website.
gunboat racing

Looks like a fun way to do it.

T_E

Good post. Having just gotten back from the Regatta two weeks ago it brought back good memories. We in in a Mooring 443, and it took us more than 5 hours to circumnavigate St Martin; the featured gunboat did it in 4 hours.

I would like to do the regatta again, but thinking I would rather pay for a position on a TP52 or some other sled, and spend the nights in a hotel. I know of a Swan 48 (Avocation) that offers such arrangements. Does anybody know of others?

Team_EvoLv

Anarchist
Whilst not wanting to take anything away from these fine machines...
Shirley didn't mention that some of her fellow Brits sailed a 29yr old Derek Kelsall trimaran with an aluminium 'telegraph pole' of a mast and oodles of weight aloft past ALL the gunboats by mid way thro the third leg during that final race at this years Heineken regatta.

'Safari', which was miles ahead of the other 4 gunboats did manage to sqeak us at the finish BUT they had started 10mins earlier!

Go 'Triple Jack'!!

It would be nice to see the gunboats starting with the other racing multihulls next year so we can mix it up boat to boat.
Not a bad effort for an older boat. What numbers are you pulling upwind?

In regards to the gunboat comparison, Apples to Oranges. A Gunboat is not a benchmark for a racing tri.

T_E

BVI
Not a bad effort for an older boat. What numbers are you pulling upwind?
In regards to the gunboat comparison, Apples to Oranges. A Gunboat is not a benchmark for a racing tri.

T_E

Fair comment EvoLv re oranges and apples, the reason for the interest was being hauled out at Nanny Cay along with several of the Gun boats.

We knew they were racing and wanted to gauge our performance against them.

For the first 2 races in heavy air we had to sail reefed and didn't get near them on elapsed time.

That is sailing the same course but starting 10 mins apart.

They do move very well in a seaway, easily driven with little fuss and hardly any pitching.

On the third day it was marginal first reef conditions but the forecast was for a moderating breeze.

We went with full main and for the first time ever saw 11.5-12kts upwind at about 29 apparent in flat water off Marigot.

Our main is Quantum carbon, the jib Quantum Pentex both one season old.

After beating up to Tintarmaree we had a glorious 90 apparent 18-20kt boatspeed reach to Anguilla.

Our kite was perfectly suited to this and we trucked.

We went past Safari on the next white sail reach to Basse Terre with the boat about as powered up as we dared.

The Heineken regatta has always been the top venue for racing multihulls, offshore courses and plenty of competition...it just can't be beaten.

Cheap Beer

Anarchist
Anacortes, WA
"Racing on a cruising boat!" :blink:
Not for me.
I agree. It's nice to sip a beer or cocktail and be able to set it down without it flying across the cockpit when cruising, but it just doesn't feel the same on a cat. The helm is either inside as on the gunboat or waaaaay in back twenty feet up in the air. No sense of the subtlety of sail trim and puffs.

And look out for the port tacker in your blind spot.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Racing on a cruising boat around St Martin is a lot of fun.

And if the boat is reasonable fast its big fun.

I would sail on it, but would not want to steer.

You do not get a tan there... nor breeze in your hair... (or is he bold ? )

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
Yeah, that was interesting. I guess they don't show that on tv do they.

Nhaaa, they use the 15 minutes to rerun the same NASCAR interview over and over again:

Announcer: That was some race __________fill in racers name ____________________ , what happened?

Driver: Yeah, the _______sponsor 1 ____________ , sponsor 2 _________________, sponsor 3 _______________, _______________ sponsor 4________________ xxxxxxxxxxxtype of carxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx what running great right up until the motor blew up on lap 14. We really thought we had the car to beat. I got to give credit to the pit crew of the yyyyyyyyyyyyy race team name yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for giving me such a great machine. I cannot wait until next week.

Damn I hate the charm school for NASCAR drivers. Frick'n finishing schools for Billy Bobs. Every one of those clown sounds the same (except for Smoke who says his mind like Charles Barkley does in basketball).

Sorry. It's Monday morning...

tuf-luf

Super Anarchist
Bangrak
As a lifetime monohuller (well... almost) I have to say Gunboats have always blown me away. Very easy on the eyes and wickedly fast.

But why are they so f**king expensive though!!!

No need to answer.