Guy and Girl without Patreon account go sailing

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Thanks for bringing these folks to our attention. Refreshing indeed. They're the real deal. My only small quibble is that the narrator's voice is a bit sleep-inducing...

low bum

Tennessee
Yeah, this may be the best "sailing couple" series on Youtube. They're so humble and straight to the point. Master craftsman, gorgeous boat, beautiful photography. They're heading into the south Pacific now, which was a surprise. I remember him being on the Wooden Boat forum several years ago, serving his rigging.

I think that's an Atkin "Vixen," but I may be wrong. It's not an Eric, I know that. Their video on getting ready to cruise is really great - new floors, keel bolts, etc, as easy as kiss my hand.

KramN

Yea, his wooden boat forum thread on dynema rigging was excellent. We went the same route rigging our boat - I think it's the way of the future for traditional craft and will quickly replace galvanized wire standing rigging.

The boat is an Atkin Ingrid.

jdazey

Kingston, WA
Just stumbled across their video of cruising the San Juan Is. last night and agree that it's very refreshing, far from the side boob crowd. While cruising the San Juans, he mentions rafting up to another Ingrid, so yes, Julia is an Ingrid.

low bum

Tennessee
They just hauled and painted it. He's pretty much a master mechanic/boatbuilder it seems, so I'm sure he'll keep it going with that constant "rolling restoration" that all well found wooden boats get. Always something to do.

KramN

If anyone knows how to contact they guys pm me. Couldn't find anything on the YouTube page. Broker friend in PV has a Kaori boat he needs checked, figured if they are in the area would add to cruising kitty.
Hi , the videos are on a delayed timeline, they pop up when internet will be available. They have just reached New Caledonia,

accnick

Super Anarchist
This is what it looks like when two adults with fully functioning personalities and intact egoes make their dreams come true. Life as art, poetry in motion.
That was a refreshing change from the usual YouTube drama.

One quibble. The guy made his celestial observations sitting down. In a good-sized seaway, it's very hard to find a true horizon from that position. Since he has a mizzen, the natural perch for using the sextant would be standing, braced against the mizzen shrouds.

That's OK, it took me some time to figure that one out myself some 45 years ago when I started out.

That video was a pleasure to watch. I still remember the feeling of pulling into the anchorage at Nuku Hiva after three weeks at sea, anchoring, stowing the sails, and falling immediately to sleep.

kiwin

Auckland
They have been just down the dock from me in Noumea, but left today to see a few more islands around the lagoon. They have been in a few of the same anchorages as me in Fiji, but until now I had not taken the opportunity to meet them. I had a good chat with them this morning and they are extremely pleasant, interesting and engaging young people. Their boat is well prepared and maintained and fit for purpose. They are on their way to Hobart for the wooden boat festival.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
They have been just down the dock from me in Noumea, but left today to see a few more islands around the lagoon. They have been in a few of the same anchorages as me in Fiji, but until now I had not taken the opportunity to meet them. I had a good chat with them this morning and they are extremely pleasant, interesting and engaging young people. Their boat is well prepared and maintained and fit for purpose. They are on their way to Hobart for the wooden boat festival.

Ah, good, I'll try to catch up with them while they're here. I'm thinking of doing some metal casting and as he's cast the bronze fittings for their boat, it'd be good to take the opportunity to pick up some tips etc.

FKT

Pinching

Anarchist
That was a refreshing change from the usual YouTube drama.

One quibble. The guy made his celestial observations sitting down. In a good-sized seaway, it's very hard to find a true horizon from that position. Since he has a mizzen, the natural perch for using the sextant would be standing, braced against the mizzen shrouds.

That's OK, it took me some time to figure that one out myself some 45 years ago when I started out.

That video was a pleasure to watch. I still remember the feeling of pulling into the anchorage at Nuku Hiva after three weeks at sea, anchoring, stowing the sails, and falling immediately to sleep.
I think he compared his celestial fix to GPS and they were 5 nm different. Not great for a landfall, but not terrible using a plastic sextant. I was generally impressed with his work incl willingness to use celestial nav. and assess his skill vs GPS.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I think he compared his celestial fix to GPS and they were 5 nm different. Not great for a landfall, but not terrible using a plastic sextant. I was generally impressed with his work incl willingness to use celestial nav. and assess his skill vs GPS.
I've learned that it's kind of difficult to use a sextant in the Chesapeake Bay due to the land and trees obscuring the horizon. It seems that I will have better success in the winter when the sun is traversing a SE to SW arc. I'll have to go out into the middle of the bay so that I can face south where the water is for a clear view of the horizon.

kiwin

Auckland
"I think he compared his celestial fix to GPS and they were 5 nm different. Not great for a landfall, but not terrible using a plastic sextant"

That is improbably good for any sextant. I have done a metric shitload of sextant work. Even when at my most practiced with my excellent Zeiss sextant I would never claim better than 10 miles. Anything better is a happy accident, especially for a practitioner with little experience.
And 10 miles is more than good enough for a landfall. You just have to examine your assumptions very carefully.

Latest posts