Hall spars/rig pro USA

T sailor

Chesapeake
I am looking to add a sheave box to my older Hall Carbon rig and need to figure out what sort of reinforcing may be needed.  Rig Pro in Rhode Island used to be of help but they are no more.  J boats suggested talking to a spar builder but not anyone specific.  Not sure where to turn.  Any suggestions?

SEC16518

I had talked to Rig Pro a few months back about this for my mast.....they quoted me $6k for the kit, seemed ridiculous....double sheave box and some pre pre-preg reinforcement.

T sailor

Chesapeake
Yeah, I had talked to them a couple years ago about adding a trysail track and they were ball parking costs in the $10k plus range (non starter)….  

I am sure it is all liability driven but seems a bit ridiculous.  

ProLooper

What halyard ? I did one on a J-100 mast for a code 0 / spin, the mast  tapers at the top so I laid up half of a box then laminated around the crane and mast drilled a hole vertically over new sheave exit from mast and used a new pin through both sheaves, also had to make a new chafe cage for the exit forward by cutting a shackle and welding to existing one and moving mounting feet pretty easy it,s been up there for many years W/ on problems

PL.

ProLooper

I put a jib sheet on the same J-100 mast for a self tacker up the mast, I would use a Ronstan 51712 some 1/2" G-10 and @ 10 layers of carbon. Cut G-10 in to  2, 6"X3/4" strips slightly shape to mast shape that will be glued to inside mast wall, sand paint on mast down to carbon, add carbon to out side tapering patches from @6"X5" down to @4"X2 1/2". cut hole for sheave box you will have to lightly hammer tangs to fit mast profile, then drill one  hole in G-10  and mast the size of box , scuff inside mast and G-10 put string through G-10 and mast add toughened epoxy pull through cut out then clamp aligning with cutout, after all is cured insert sheave box drill and tap mounting for box. Remove box sand and paint mast repaired area mount box using a dab of epoxy on screws 

PL.

ProLooper

Yes the first two holes one each in G-10 can be small just to place the G-10 in the mast then drill all holes to size for taping, I have had no problems W/the jib sheet and it caries a lot of load with leech tension 

PL.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
image.png

image.png

Instead of cutting & drilling I'd either attach some sort of fraculating fairlead ("spectacles") using one the existing halyards or a padded friction ring over the top of the spreaders with a 100% removable halyard on a permanently attached messenger.

No cutting, no drilling, cheaper, less weight aloft etc.

emmylou

Contact me

Can help with what you need to do

work with my old company's (CSI) new owners Moore Brothers Composites in Bristol RI

Can handle the mod directly or in kit form 

don't forget lower halyard exit reinforcement ..

shouldn't much of an issue

jeff Kent

Latest posts