Happey October

Perth WA
Missus Backstay heard about saying "rabbit, rabbit" aka "bunny, bunny" from comedian Gilda Radner. After she died young, her husband Gene Wilder supposedly wrote a play of that name.
Interesting, not a tradition I was aware of. I wonder if it was a very specific part of the UK that it came from that way associated with emigration to the Americas. I do know Run Rabbit Run….

Lowly Crew

sailing
sure, it sometimes drops to minus 1 C. :D
trouble is, we don't prepare for cold weather either mentally or in our homes.
So an unusually long, cold, wet & windy winter makes us grumpy and sad.
Yeah I remember now. A one inch gap under the front door and a wood fire going and still some whinging.😀

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Yeah I remember now. A one inch gap under the front door and a wood fire going and still some whinging.😀
The gap under my doors is more like 2 inches. That passion for bare Baltic pine floorboards and tearing up shagpile where our parents cut the doors short, to fit the shagpile.

And no one lights fires in their 3 or more fireplaces anymore in the city.
I wemeber open fires and burning leaves in Melbourne in Autumn..a long time ago.
Or, briquette heaters. eek
:)

Last edited:

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I have no idea what that means and I possibly might not want to know.😯
All the older homes pre 1960's? had solid timber floors, on which the original owners put underlay and carpet or lino.
Shag pile became popular in the 70's and eighties, but the doors were all too low to fit the height of the new carpet. Sooo..people took the doors off and cut an inch off the bottom of the doors.
come the fashion (and practicality) of exposing and polishing those lovely Baltic pine floors (circa 1950, mountain ash (a gum tree) was used)

people found their doors now 1-2" shorter than they needed.
The cost of getting new "in period" doors was prohibitive. So, we leave the gaps, use door snakes and shiver for three months.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
1st of March in the UK was "White Rabbits"
Just a thing you had to say to the first person you met in the morning at school.
I have no idea why.

Latest posts