Harbor 20 Championship

some dude

Super Anarchist
Scott, I have a pretty good understanding of Newport Beach and the harbor. Not to be insulting but most would not recognize you in person, in fact,  for the ones that remember you still recall your efforts to help NOSA. You are not hatted in Newport Beach and I certainly call on you often for your help. Only Scott can answer how he feels he would do in our Class Championships. Every good sailor knows the names of the people that can beat him.

On a side note: Call me anytime and I would be more than willing to hand over the tiller to you in one of our fleet races. If you feel like going offshore and freezing your ass off I will open a spot for you on Horizon for the Islands race. There is some Newport Love for you!

Your friend

Len Bose
now there's a friendly offer

strong owner-driver rule in that class,  no?

as for the other skippers-check So Cal results sheets from the 70s and 80s.  same dudes, just as fast even with more grey hair and asses on cockpit cushions 

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Participants must be members of the Harbor 20 Class Association. Helmspersons have to be owners and crew need to have done at least 12 races in the same boat in the previous 12 months. See attached.

View attachment 295401
thank you for the reference - seems they didn't want the Farr40 scene in their class.

I hope the Harbor 20 class has a great event and you guys know I was just having a bit of fun  -  It looks like your fleet   "Gets it" - good on you. 

hey,  you guy ever run the boats up against the Alerion Express 20s ?     Just curious how the stacked up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
We dont know who he would be up against because registration is not open yet.
We pretty much know who he'd be up against.

The Harbor 20 class was set up by experienced and successful sailors who were, you know... getting along in age. Winners on the international stage in everything from single-handers to maxi's. They identified what they wanted:

• No arms race. One-design sails with purchase restrictions. One-design rigging. Buy it and go out and race as equals.
  • Ease of boat maintenance, and ease in rigging up for the day and in putting her to bed at sunset.
  • Comfortable to sail. No hiking, must sit on cockpit benches, class cushions must be in place.
  • Fun and safe and simple "picnic" boat to take the grandchildren out for the afternoon.

And it's working! The largest pool of talent and experience in Newport Beach, CA, is in Harbor 20s. If you win in this class, you are winning against most of the best sailors in the harbor, past and present.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist

The Harbor 20 class was set up by experienced and successful sailors who were, you know... getting along in age. Winners on the international stage in everything from single-handers to maxi's. They identified what they wanted:

• No arms race. One-design sails with purchase restrictions. One-design rigging. Buy it and go out and race as equals.
  • Ease of boat maintenance, and ease in rigging up for the day and in putting her to bed at sunset.
  • Comfortable to sail. No hiking, must sit on cockpit benches, class cushions must be in place.
  • Fun and safe and simple "picnic" boat to take the grandchildren out for the afternoon.

And it's working! The largest pool of talent and experience in Newport Beach, CA, is in Harbor 20s. If you win in this class, you are winning against most of the best sailors in the harbor, past and present.
I think that’s a bit of a stretch to say it’s most of the best past and present. Sure, there’s some very good sailors in the fleet, but it’s not like Ullman is out there. I can think of plenty of others who are damn good, but just won’t deal with the entitled arrogant pricks from NHYC.

Fundamentally, racing in Newport is dead except for Sabots and H20’s.

Pretty soon the H20 crowd will be doing predicted log races in Duffy’s.

Dude

Anarchist
I think that’s a bit of a stretch to say it’s most of the best past and present. Sure, there’s some very good sailors in the fleet, but it’s not like Ullman is out there. I can think of plenty of others who are damn good, but just won’t deal with the entitled arrogant pricks from NHYC.

Fundamentally, racing in Newport is dead except for Sabots and H20’s.

Pretty soon the H20 crowd will be doing predicted log races in Duffy’s.
Do you feel comments like yours helps the sport? 

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL

For all those reasons, they're proving to be pretty popular here in God's Waiting Room.

2016 Valentine's Day Massacre

Harbor20s.jpg

They seem to like to glide along silently under Torqeedo power.

Harbor20Torqueedo.jpg

Code 2

Anarchist
There is Harbor 20 racing here in Newport on every weekend, and during the week.

This class is racing constantly and that is success.

I hope to try it sometime for the OD nature of the racing and competive nature of the class.

Anyone bashing NHYC is just jealous.

And predicted log racing in a Duffy is funny and I hope it happens.

Dude

Anarchist
For me, it is all about tiller time, 170 races last year.  Five minutes to and from the race course with 34 boats in last years fleet championships, 17 boats in A fleet with four college All Americans and one Louis Vuitton skipper. I sail with my wife, which has been a very healthy thing for the marriage. 18 boats in last years fleet championships were married couples, five were father-son teams. It works for me!

Midwinters-7617.jpg

Svanen

Super Anarchist
Whitby
There is Harbor 20 racing here in Newport on every weekend, and during the week.

This class is racing constantly and that is success.

I hope to try it sometime for the OD nature of the racing and competive nature of the class.
OD is OD ... it's all good, the type of boats are relatively unimportant. OD racing in El Toros is more competitive and fun than anything PHRF can offer.

to say i am hated in newport beach would be an understatement.
Why? What happened?

IndiaTvc588d2_signs-you-are-confused.jpg

Latest posts