Hard dinks, nesting dinks, and why we like them

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada

Presumably, but I dunno, didn't get far into the forensics, we were too busy trying to get a stupidly heavy length of cable up to the surface and off the anchor.
Friend of mine always keeps an angle grinder with zip cut disk and inverter on board, just in case, for old log boom detritus along the coast here...he managed to snag a big cable several years ago and managed to get it close to the surface and cut it off the anchor with a grinder...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Dinghy and/or large salad bowl. 

IMG_3316.jpeg

andykane

Victoria, BC
Friend of mine always keeps an angle grinder with zip cut disk and inverter on board, just in case, for old log boom detritus along the coast here...he managed to snag a big cable several years ago and managed to get it close to the surface and cut it off the anchor with a grinder...
Seems like it would be easier to tie the cable off with some scrap line, unhook the anchor, and cut the line? That's how I dropped a 150lb danforth for a mooring buoy once. 

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
What dinghy is that? Looks like it is strip planked and nicely built. Is the bilge water to keep it from blowing off the dock?
I think it's the dinghy to Hoi An, a 50' lightweight daysailer/racer, and occasional overnighter. 

HOI AN Rockport Harbor Today 2020 far.jpg

This is also a dinghy for Hoi An, and the dinghy in question in the last post (I now discover!), is in fact the dinghy for the dinghy.  

PANDL_.jpg

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
I’ve been slowly making progress on restoring this boat. Not sure if I like the satin white interior or the trim paint in the topsides. I’ll see if I get used to it after I re-varnish the brightwork, spars  and oars.

image.jpg

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I think it's the dinghy to Hoi An, a 50' lightweight daysailer/racer, and occasional overnighter. 

View attachment 469026

This is also a dinghy for Hoi An, and the dinghy in question in the last post (I now discover!), is in fact the dinghy for the dinghy.  
Kris, I love the colors in that photo. I couldn't help from running it through a little photo filter of sorts to get this,

bea89e61-f70f-4c40-9aca-957d17c10bba.jpg

If I like the results I get with this simple app, I then take it to Photoshop for further mucking around. What name should I give credits to for the photograph? 

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
My tack attaches to the mast. I just used this as a quick visual reference and I did notice the forward tack and hoped I could sneak by, but nope! Good eye!!

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Kris, I love the colors in that photo. I couldn't help from running it through a little photo filter of sorts to get this,

View attachment 469098

If I like the results I get with this simple app, I then take it to Photoshop for further mucking around. What name should I give credits to for the photograph? 

Nice! Tom Young Design
How 'bout crediting Bob Stephens / Paul Waring for penning those beautiful lines...where does it stop? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
How 'bout crediting Bob Stevens / Paul Waring for penning those beautiful lines...where does it stop? :p
What I think is most striking about that boat is it's proportions and scale in sailboat design.

Specifically; 50' long X 11.5 wide X 17,500 lbs. That's what makes it look so right to my eye. 

Designer:

Stephens | Waring & White Yacht Design

Launched:

LOA:

49ft 11in

LWL:

35ft 0in

BEAM:

11ft 6in

DRAFT:

9ft 0in

DISP: