has anyone received email from Robert Pavlick, Enthused Digital

admin1

Administrator
Hi!

This is Rob Pavlick. 

We don't sell user's data.

We sell display (banner) advertising from the industry sponsors as well as third parties, like Google. That is no different than it has always been here. 

Our company has been operating forums since the internet started. For what it is worth, my team is a group of boaters. Mostly anglers. Our office is on Long Island, NY. We also publish a forum for downeast boat owners.

We are proud to be transparent about what we do and do not do. In the near future there will be a terms of service and privacy policy so you are informed. We really don't try to change too much. It it ain't broke! We have been here five months now to give you an idea of stability. I am accessible should you have any requests or questions. I work behind the scenes and this will likely be one of very few posts you see from me because I don't want to disrupt your experience. 

Our priority is the registered member. We make you our priority in a variety of ways. We make the registered member a priority through content. All content will always be free (monetized by ads). We also are retaining all your favorite writers here on sailinganarchy.com like, of course, Ed, Anarchist David, and more. We are looking to connect with members who are interested in submitting articles and blogs moving forward. I reached out to the OP because he came recommended from the editor.   

We also make the registered user our priority through tech. I'll be sending a message to all active users to make you aware of a software change we have coming next week. We are upgrading the forum software to a more secure and overall more user friendly version. Especially more mobile user friendly. It is designed to look and feel exactly the same so it is not a huge change. But I want to make sure you are alerted. The upgrade is happening on Wednesday morning 6.1.22. starting at 8AM Eastern. There will be downtime that day. When it is complete, we look forward to your feedback. 

We make registered users a priority through a lighter advertising experience. We show more advertisements to a guest. A person who is not logged in. That is intentional. So as long as you are logged in you are going to see less ads. There will also be an option in the near future to subscribe for an entirely advertisement free experience. This site has had most of the ads on the front page. That will change as we add sponsors to the the forums. But again, we are discerning about the ads we show to registered users and will have an option to see none. 

Thanks and Take Care! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Our company has been operating forums since the internet started. For what it is worth, my team is a group of boaters. Mostly anglers. Our office is on Long Island, NY. 
Neede a blowe boatere on you staffe?              :)

Neede a blowe boatere on you staffe?              :)
Just in case that means what I think it might...I'm not convinced being on staff will help the new boss have any more success fixing your autocorrect than the old boss.  Besides, it just wouldn't be the same.  Don't go changing snags!  :D

And on an unrelated issue, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but isn't there some sort of standard operating procedure around here for someones first post? 

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
This site has had most of the ads on the front page.
What? I have always assumed that references to the mythical SA front page were simply a troll. It exists? Is there a link to it somewhere in the forum? No? Well there’s an idea for your next version…

User agreement, rules, membership? In anarchy? Really? Can I sell you the domain name sailingtyranny.com?

Canada
Our company has been operating forums since the internet started. 
Which period of the internet starting would that be? The dial-up version available to government users in the 70’s? The Well around San Francisco in the late 80’s? The spit-and-string “what is this email you speak of?” of the early 90’s? The finding-a-groove, what’s-a-google? of the mid 90’s? The dot bomb implosion of 2000 (or was it 2001)? Or kind of just the newfags-can’t-triforce, borderline pre/post thumb-driven, responsive device internet?

Also, has your hands-on management team been around that long, or is that purchased tenure, based on the founding dates of acquired banners (like when financial newco’s buy dusty old firms and say “trusted advisors since 1890-whatever…”)?

Asking for a friend. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I know that most of my information is already on the web, but WTF would I put my age, address and income on a stupid survey from some company that I bought a widget from?
I don't ever have a single problem with filling in online forms. Happy to provide them with information in all those boxes.

There's no penalty for lying, after all.

FKT

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I know that most of my information is already on the web, but WTF would I put my age, address and income on a stupid survey from some company that I bought a widget from?
I don't ever have a single problem with filling in online forms. Happy to provide them with information in all those boxes.

There's no penalty for lying, after all.

FKT
Well, it eventually comes home to roost, although apparently it might take years.

Microsoft and Google are both on my case every morning about correcting and updating my personal info they've gathered. Seems they have a dozen or more birthdays, 20-odd middle initials, etc etc. So far, they haven't offered any incentive and they don't have anything I want, so fuck 'em.

- DSK

Canada
Well, it eventually comes home to roost, although apparently it might take years.

Microsoft and Google are both on my case every morning about correcting and updating my personal info they've gathered. Seems they have a dozen or more birthdays, 20-odd middle initials, etc etc. So far, they haven't offered any incentive and they don't have anything I want, so fuck 'em.

- DSK
Except passive denial of service. It’s becoming part of the gateway - no validation data, no use of the product.

Whats scary (from a monopoly standpoint, not tinfoil hats) is just how deeply embedded FANG is in trying to do anything online. Once you get into building digital platforms everything is either originated, owned, or the default for them. Hard to take a step in any direction without.

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
Most browsers can have security/privacy extensions added that limit tracking. You can also change how your browser handles cookies, which is one of the main ways tracking occurs.

uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, and HTTPS Everywhere are the main ones I use.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has a ton of resources for this kind of thing. Here's one of their tools for testing browser settings.

I must have tried them all. The most effective way to block trackers, for me, has been this one.
Unless you hack into a trunk line, how do you get past the Gateway logging your every site visit?
Blocking browser trackers are one thing but getting past the gatekeepers is another.
Yes you can mask your IP and MAC addresses but they still know what node you log in from and your general area.
You can run but you cannot hide.

I do have my browsers set to delete all cookies and site data when closing the browser. It is a pain but it makes you remember your passwords too. Good for the memory.

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
Unless you hack into a trunk line, how do you get past the Gateway logging your every site visit?
Blocking browser trackers are one thing but getting past the gatekeepers is another.
Yes you can mask your IP and MAC addresses but they still know what node you log in from and your general area.
You can run but you cannot hide.

I do have my browsers set to delete all cookies and site data when closing the browser. It is a pain but it makes you remember your passwords too. Good for the memory.
You're right of course. It's an arms race and at some point it's more behaviorally driven to whatever the risk tolerance is. Once you're on the radar, you're owned.

I just use a pw manager with a strong pw that gets updated regularlyish. Avoiding targeted advertising is my main priority beyond some basic security.