Have at er boys

Mid

Blues Rule
plastic-guns (1).jpg

DhxGjmoVAAALi_F.jpg

mad

Super Anarchist
The plans were available before and it was shown that they were probably considered too dangerous by most.  The buying of parts to build most guns in the US is nothing new. You can even buy the jigs to turn them into fully automatic. 

Yes it’s another ridiculous decision and adds even more guns into the mix. I agree on that. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Shootist Jeff said:
So people in Canada can download the plans but its illegal to manufacture them.  How do you stop someone from printing them and using them to commit a crime?  Are you going to ban 3D printers now????
It's illegal to smuggle guns in from the USA too but that doesn't stop everyone.

Just most of them

Fuck you are a clueless zealot.

mad

Super Anarchist
Shootist Jeff said:
So I'm curious - how do you stop this?

Canadians will be able to download his blueprints, but it remains illegal to manufacture or possess firearms without appropriate licenses and registrations.
So people in Canada can download the plans but its illegal to manufacture them.  How do you stop someone from printing them and using them to commit a crime?  Are you going to ban 3D printers now????
I’m guessing that downloading the plans are probably illegal in the UK, printing one, definitely. 

No idea how you stop it now the genie is out of the bottle. I can see a rush at the emergency departments when people start blowing their hands apart. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I’m guessing that downloading the plans are probably illegal in the UK, printing one, definitely. 

No idea how you stop it now the genie is out of the bottle. I can see a rush at the emergency departments when people start blowing their hands apart. 
Don't sell ammo.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
A lotta angst over information exhcange....   I wouldn't ever shoot one of those things - I'd be too worried it'd blow up in my hand.  No thanks. 

IMHO?   This is not going to spawn a new crop of home-made plastic guns.  I suspect that most people will simply forget about it a week after the noise dies down, and that those who download the CAD files never do more than loading them up into the drawing package to see what it looks like. 

I'll borrow Flash's line - this is a "Meh".  

mad

Super Anarchist
Don't sell ammo.
I can’t see that happening in the US.  And if you’re going to the effort to buy ammunition in the UK, you might as well just buy the gun at the same time. At least it won’t blow your fingers off. 

Now if somebody puts the files up for a Glock etc, then things will take a turn for the worse. 

Last edited by a moderator:

mad

Super Anarchist
A lotta angst over information exhcange....   I wouldn't ever shoot one of those things - I'd be too worried it'd blow up in my hand.  No thanks. 

IMHO?   This is not going to spawn a new crop of home-made plastic guns.  I suspect that most people will simply forget about it a week after the noise dies down, and that those who download the CAD files never do more than loading them up into the drawing package to see what it looks like. 

I'll borrow Flash's line - this is a "Meh".  
I have to agree with you on all the above. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I can’t see that happening in the US.  And if you’re going to the effort to buy ammunition in the UK, you might as well just buy the gun at the same time. At least it won’t blow your fingers off. 

Now if somebody puts the files up for a Glock etc, then things will take a turn for the worse. 
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the US. In the US, this thing is an oddity at best.  In a country where there are limited guns available on the street - just keep ammo controlled.

HuronBouy

Anarchist
Canada
"So I'm curious - how do you stop this?"

You can't stop crime but you can make it a crime to supply information that would aid in making these things.  

I know now you will go after me on freedom speech. 

bpm57

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Shootist Jeff said:
So I'm curious - how do you stop this?
Thoughtpolice.

CAD drawings & such for some popular firearms have been available on the internet for years, Defense Distributed didn't invent it.

But I'm sure someone is working on laws to restrict 3d printers of any type, think they will go after conventional machine tools?

How about metalworking files? It really doesn't take much to build a firearm if you are determined enough.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
How much does a 3D printer cost these days? How much does the plastic you print with cost?  

How many safer guns could you buy off the street for the same amount?