Hayden Goodrick Gone Way Too Young

MR.CLEAN

Not here
An old friend, but not an old man, passed yesterday. The only news is on Facebook as of now, but what I read seems to indicate he may have died of a heart attack while racing in Newport yesterday. Apologies for any inaccuracies, but I wanted to share as Hayden has touched so many lives in the high perf and match racing world. A brilliant sailor, great winter sports instructor, and a generous and optimistic human being. Fair winds. 

For those who didn’t know him, Hayden was a kiwi turned Colorado snowboard instructor, and one of the top pro trimmers in the game. Multiple WMRT champion, M32, Melges 20/24/32, big boats, the Cup, and just a beast of a sailor. Founding member of US-One. 

B7F911B9-E743-4E5D-A9B6-0914B59D4B96.png

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Hayden was a neighbor of mine in Edwards, CO.  I cannot believe he is gone, what a shame.  Everyone who knew Hayden here in the Vail Valley had the upmost respect for him.  RIP.

dallaskilponen

Sydney
Very saddened to hear this news this morning. I did a lot of miles with Hayden or '83' as we called him. First met in Sydney for the Hobart Race in 2005 on super maxi Konica Minolta. He was young and full of fire, pumped for the Great Race. We had a blinder with a cracking crew of mainly Kiwis and finished 3rd overall and 4th on Line. I was onboard as grinder and media and produced a raw 30 min film of the race.

He then connected me to the late Jim Mitchell from Chicago Yacht Club, who wanted someone to film and crew on the 2006 Centenary Bermuda Race on the newly purchased TP52 'Glucklich'  alongside good mates, Simon Minnoprio and Rod Keenan. It was a slow race with not much action but we had plenty of laughs and great moments at sea. 

From there we then hit The Great Lakes for the Mac Races, of which we did many, from 2006 to 2012 first on Glucklich, then the custom Kiwi designed and built 'Vincitore', a brainchild design by Rod Keenan and Jim Mitchell. We raced together as a tight crew with Hayden always at the forefront of perfecting the teamwork through his skill, passion and vision for a pro team. We went on to claim numerous victories in the Caribbean with St Thomas and BVI 2009 was well as the trifecta in San Francisco winning the St Francis Trophy and US IRC National Championships, again with Hayden pushing us all through the middle and on bow. He was a tireless perfectionist. Went on the defend the St Francis Trophy in 2010 on Vincitore as our last race on her before she was sold. It was a special celebration that night.

I last sailed with Hayden in the Mac Race of 2012, on the J109 Vanda III. We sailed on our separate ways from there but we'd shared so many miles at sea and regatta wins that we would always be mates.

Today, I've been remembering all the incredible moments we shared and the loss is too hard to fathom. Foremost, my thoughts today are with his family. My sincere condolences. 

Fair winds '83'. You went hard to the end. We'll all miss you mate.

Dallas Kilponen

G

I am shocked!  I just messaged him two weeks ago for advice.  I cannot find anything else about his passing.  I loved the guy!  So down to earth and a lover of God!  I will miss you Hayden!

G

http://m32world.com/m32-family-suffers-tragic-loss/?fbclid=IwAR3SjCmRfNELLuxpsdWMPqVlpSqyl2y3f774jQmf6qxvrSBMFTMNXWqlMcE&fs=e&s=cl

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
This is so incredibly sad. Hayden was also a very insightful amd encouraging match racing coach, and always a bright, warm and welcoming personality. He will be missed. I'm gutted for his kids. Wishing the very best for the loved ones he left behind. Rest well, Hayden.

Wess

Super Anarchist
An old friend, but not an old man, passed yesterday. The only news is on Facebook as of now, but what I read seems to indicate he may have died of a heart attack while racing in Newport yesterday. Apologies for any inaccuracies, but I wanted to share as Hayden has touched so many lives in the high perf and match racing world. A brilliant sailor, great winter sports instructor, and a generous and optimistic human being. Fair winds. 

For those who didn’t know him, Hayden was a kiwi turned Colorado snowboard instructor, and one of the top pro trimmers in the game. Multiple WMRT champion, M32, Melges 20/24/32, big boats, the Cup, and just a beast of a sailor. Founding member of US-One. 

View attachment 513307
Wow; 38. Sorry to read it. 

Its cliché but there is so much truth in "live like you were dying."  Sounds like he did.