Help! J/35 spreader crack...

Hive mind (and potentially hive chandlery)

I am getting J/35 Resilience (formerly Bzing, formerly Obsession) ready to go for the summer having purchased her last fall. Witness my distress a couple of weeks ago when I discovered a horizontal crack in the upper starboard spreader last week. Not fixable says my local marine welding expert.

My spars are by Kenyon.  I am waiting on Rig Rite to get back to me about fabricating new uppers, but supply chain issues are clearly presenting a problem.  My boat goes in May 9th and that's a very hard date.

Does anyone have any suggestions should Rig Rite not be able to fabricate new spreaders in time for launch?  If you have specific metal shops/spar manufacturers in mind, I'd love to hear about them.  

And of course if you have any uppers lying around for sale I would not say no!

Cheers

Olwen

View attachment Spreader Crack.HEIC

Last edited by a moderator:

221J

CT
Clearly replacements are the best options.  If unavailable, you could have a doubler that wraps around the crack welded on.  Not nice looking, not faster but it beats not sailing.

emmylou

Appears to have been full of water and froze 

should be able to be salvaged by some means       have fixed similar on a temporary basis which I'm sure is still being used years later

1 . by welding a with excellent prep.  probably need to carefully squeeze section back to original shape  

2  fix section shape , remove paint , prep and overwarp  with a glass / carbon  overwrap      

Might be able to help you out

jk

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
I am not that familar with the 35, but many older boats with aluminum masts had wood spreaders. If nothing else works out you could make you own to get through the season. A wood spreader would also act as a place holder to get the boat rigged and launched giving you time to swap out an aluminum one in the water.

Hey gang - thanks for the responses so far.  Here's what I'm thinking:

- I don't think I would have confidence in my woodworking abilities to fabricate spreaders from wood that would stand the strain on the uppers.  

- The welder I spoke with was basically "no" on putting a weld to repair the crack. He stated that the welding process would merely weaken the aluminium immediately adjacent, and he knows his stuff. 

- I am intrigued on the wrapping concept.  Emmylou I have messaged you about discussion thisapproach.  I understand that carbon fiber must be isolated from the aluminium to prevent galvanic corrosion, so maybe a composite of glass and carbon fiber (tape?  fabric?) wrapped around the foil with epoxy would do the trick until I can get the real deal as a replacement, hopefully before Figawi at the end of May.

So much fun.

Keep the ideas coming, people.

OH

ProLooper

I have a New set from a J-100 Hall mast both uppers and lowers, they are 23" from mast to shroud on the uppers and 35" on the lowers, IMG_2353.jpg

mgs

canoeman
maine
See if Sparcraft can help. I’ll bet dollars to donuts the rig-rite issues have nothing to do with the supply chain. 

arcpix

Earth
Appears to have been full of water and froze 

should be able to be salvaged by some means       have fixed similar on a temporary basis which I'm sure is still being used years later

1 . by welding a with excellent prep.  probably need to carefully squeeze section back to original shape  

2  fix section shape , remove paint , prep and overwarp  with a glass / carbon  overwrap      

Might be able to help you out

jk
We did something similar on a spreader for an Alerion 28. Clearly filled with water, froze and cracked.  We build a lot of stuff in aluminum so I took it to our lead welder.  He did what you described.  Pressed it back to as close as possible to the original shape (he had the other spreader to match to) then cleaned all edges and welded it back together.  Ground the edges clean.  It looks pretty much like the undamaged spreader. Then primed and painted.  Could not match the color exactly but when it’s way up on the rig, no one is going to notice the minor difference.  

this was for a friend (not my boat).  He races can racing at our club so it’s not put under a lot of stress.

the key is, you need someone who really understands welding aluminum and who is also a perfectionist. 

Squalamax

Super Anarchist
I can't open your picture either, but its definately repairable if its cracked from freezing. They usually crack on the trailing edge.  My lower J29 spreader cracked from freezing and I brought it to my guy and he repaired it years ago. Once painted it looks like new. Your welder is FOS.(most likely afraid of liability)

Very common occurance up north here. My welder repairs several spreaders each spring for people. No failures yet. 

Squalamax

Super Anarchist
Just an FYI. Rig Rite is the shittiest company to do business with. Its a shame they are the only store in town for Kenyon products. That company was slow as mollasses LONG before supply chain issues ever became a problem.  

Hello beautiful people (OK at least some of you I assume are beautiful)

First, here is a JPEG of the offending spreader.

Second - @Squalamax and @mgsso glad you said that about Rig Rite because this is not my first interaction with them and they've definitely been weird.

Third - @ProLooper I'm out of town at a job interview right now but when I get home I'll measure the spreaders and see if there's a match

Fourth - Failing a match, I'm in discussion with @emmylou on a wrap solution and if that's the way I go and there's results to report and photos to post, I shall post them.  Always good to learn new tricks.

I really appreciate the interest and support of this community.

2 weeks and 5 days 'til she goes in the water.

Olwen

Spreader Crack.jpg

Hive mind (and potentially hive chandlery)

I am getting J/35 Resilience (formerly Bzing, formerly Obsession) ready to go for the summer having purchased her last fall. Witness my distress a couple of weeks ago when I discovered a horizontal crack in the upper starboard spreader last week. Not fixable says my local marine welding expert.

My spars are by Kenyon.  I am waiting on Rig Rite to get back to me about fabricating new uppers, but supply chain issues are clearly presenting a problem.  My boat goes in May 9th and that's a very hard date.

Does anyone have any suggestions should Rig Rite not be able to fabricate new spreaders in time for launch?  If you have specific metal shops/spar manufacturers in mind, I'd love to hear about them.  

And of course if you have any uppers lying around for sale I would not say no!

Cheers

Olwen

View attachment 505583
Talk to offshore spars.  It is not un-common for spreaders to crack from filling with water and freezing. 

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
get in touch with someone from  Annapolis fleet. I know they bought an old boat just to get the rig, He might have parts from the old rig kickin around somewhere.

pm sent with a contact email address.. 

Party People:

Mischief managed.  Spreaders wrapped in carbon fiber thanks to Emmylou for a couple of hours and free home demonstration last Sunday.  They are now on their 3rd coat of paint and ready to put back.

@ProLooper - thanks for the offer, but those spreaders were too short.  But it's been great to have such support from the community.

This is one of the things the internet is really good for.

Will be continuing the search for replacements since it looks like Rig Rite isn't going to get it together and one day this will come up again - will consult the J/35 mailing list to see what's what.

10 days to launch.

Resilience Spreaders.jpg

Squalamax

Super Anarchist
You wrapped your aluminum spreaders in CF? Hope its a short term solution. CF and aluminum don't work well together in a salt water environment.(unless they're fully isolated) 

The shop that could have easily repaired your spreader is located in New Bedford, 20 minutes from WH. Would have been done in a day for a reasonable fee and its a permanent solution.   

Last edited by a moderator: