Help me out with some MORC History

Sisu3360

Anarchist
After a five year adventure with a MacGregor 25 we impulse-bought off the side of the highway (go ahead and get your laughs out - we actually tuned it up and had a blast racing it and being way more competitive than we had any right to be), I'm boat shopping again. This time, I'm looking for a first-generation fiberglass boat with MORC pedigree in the 24-27 foot range. I like the idea of having a boat with classic lines, with the structural strength of 60s-era fiberglass construction. There are a few other boats like this in our fleet, so it would be fun to get a little group of early modern classics together. I'm looking at the Yankee Dolphin 24 and the Pearson Ariel/Commander and Renegade. What else should I be looking at? My budget is 5-6K, and if I can find something cheaper that I can clean up and have cash left over for sails and rigging, that's a plus. I know there are other boats that fit this description but I'm having trouble finding them. What do you think? I've had a lot of fun in newer MORC boats over the years and would like to honor the history of the rule with our next boat.

Capture.PNG

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
After a five year adventure with a MacGregor 25 we impulse-bought off the side of the highway (go ahead and get your laughs out - we actually tuned it up and had a blast racing it and being way more competitive than we had any right to be), I'm boat shopping again. This time, I'm looking for a first-generation fiberglass boat with MORC pedigree in the 24-27 foot range. I like the idea of having a boat with classic lines, with the structural strength of 60s-era fiberglass construction. There are a few other boats like this in our fleet, so it would be fun to get a little group of early modern classics together. I'm looking at the Yankee Dolphin 24 and the Pearson Ariel/Commander and Renegade. What else should I be looking at? My budget is 5-6K, and if I can find something cheaper that I can clean up and have cash left over for sails and rigging, that's a plus. I know there are other boats that fit this description but I'm having trouble finding them. What do you think? I've had a lot of fun in newer MORC boats over the years and would like to honor the history of the rule with our next boat.
You go! Great idea IMHO, there are a lot of cool boats that fit into this history. Could be hard to find though.

The Mac25 is a pretty nice boat, definitely punches above it's weight as a PHRF racer if decently equipped and tuned up and sailed.

I lusted for a classic centerboard or lift-keel 1/4 Tonner for a while, and ended up getting a Santana 23 which has the look and very similar hull form but is actually a MORC boat. Great little boat, the only thing about them is that they are structural time bombs whose clock went off by now.

The Pearson Commander is a totally different animal, awesome ride for what it is. A friend of mine had one and we bombed around in it on heavy air days.

FB- Doug

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
'60s era MORC...Morgan 24 or Morgan 27.  Great sailing boats, standing the test of time.
Morgan 24 would be an excellent choice.  From the OP’s comments I get the feeling that the 27, Linderberg 26, and many other MORC boats suggested so far are a newer era than he’s looking for.

Cheers!