Help me out with some MORC History

gn4478

Perth Amboy, NJ
Also, the Pearson Coaster 30 was drawn to the MORC rule and is quite nice looking

coaster_30_photo.jpg
My dad had hull 44. Great sailing boat!

Sisu3360

Anarchist
Thanks for the suggestions, folks, and keep 'em coming. Just a note, when I say "first generation fiberglass," I mean the transition era between wood and GRP, back when they didn't quite know how strong the stuff was and thus overbuilt the crap out of them. I've had enough pops and creaks coming from the vicinity of the keel trunk and compression post on my Mac to last a lifetime,  and I want something that I won't have to do much structural maintenance on.

Most of these boats have nice overhangs and either full keels or very early fin keels. Basically, I want the aesthetics of a wooden boat with the construction of fiberglass, with an authentic racing history. A lot of the various '60s Pearsons fit this bill, but I was having trouble thinking of more. The Morgan 24/25 looks nice, though the reported centerboard issues sound like a headache. Are any of the early Irwins (23/4/5/7) worth looking at?

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Thanks for the suggestions, folks, and keep 'em coming. Just a note, when I say "first generation fiberglass," I mean the transition era between wood and GRP, back when they didn't quite know how strong the stuff was and thus overbuilt the crap out of them. I've had enough pops and creaks coming from the vicinity of the keel trunk and compression post on my Mac to last a lifetime,  and I want something that I won't have to do much structural maintenance on.

Most of these boats have nice overhangs and either full keels or very early fin keels. Basically, I want the aesthetics of a wooden boat with the construction of fiberglass, with an authentic racing history. A lot of the various '60s Pearsons fit this bill, but I was having trouble thinking of more. The Morgan 24/25 looks nice, though the reported centerboard issues sound like a headache. Are any of the early Irwins (23/4/5/7) worth looking at?
we had a yankee dolphin when i was a kid. what a great boat.

USA 5184

The front page picture that accompanies this post is misleading. On the front page, the post talks about wanting to find an early '60's, solid fiberglass, classic sailboat 24-27' from the beginning of the MORC era, but the picture that accompanies the post is of a late '80's Mariah 27 from the end of the MORC rule era...

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
The front page picture that accompanies this post is misleading. On the front page, the post talks about wanting to find an early '60's, solid fiberglass, classic sailboat 24-27' from the beginning of the MORC era, but the picture that accompanies the post is of a late '80's Mariah 27 from the end of the MORC rule era...
okay picky. the pic represents what else is out there. jeesh.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay

Sisu3360

Anarchist
we had a yankee dolphin when i was a kid. what a great boat.
There's one in our fleet - well sailed and almost impossible to beat in anything but the stiffest breeze. I'd like to bring some variety to the fleet with another design but the Dolphin is mighty tempting if I can find the right one. I like the S&S design lineage, too (same as the Tartan 27 - good call).

Chiripa

I scrolled pretty quickly but didn't see mention of the Kirby25. Inexpensive, compared to many of the other boats mentioned, and very fast when sailed well. I miss my Chiripa.

Chiripa Leading.jpg

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I scrolled pretty quickly but didn't see mention of the Kirby25. Inexpensive, compared to many of the other boats mentioned, and very fast when sailed well. I miss my Chiripa.

View attachment 372647
Other than LOA, how exactly does a Kirby 25 meet the OP's requirement of a 1960's MORC boat.

I imagine someone will mention a Melges 24 next - cuz it's like...way faster than a Yankee Dolphin.