Help me out with some MORC History

Sisu3360

Anarchist
I have a Lindenberg 26, great boats.  Where are you located?  Here's a Yankee Dolphin local to me (drive past it daily) https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/grimesland-24-ft-yankee-dolphin/7141701376.html and I know of a Lindenberg 26 in RI free for the taking, needs work.  PM me.
I've seen that Dolphin on CL. I'm in Wisconsin, and at least for the time being it's hard for me to leave the state due to my job. Was hoping to pull the trigger toward the end of the summer as people are trying to dump boats to avoid yard fees, but if you know anyone heading up my way with a truck, let me know!

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
A PT 30 named "Jet" was pretty hot around CT in the early Mudhead days

Yachting_Google_Books.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Paging @Gouvernail

Peason Ensign?
Two boats come to mind.

i sold my Electra a few years ago to a young guy who hasn’t touched it in over a year. Contact me and I will send his contact info 

http://schrothfiberglass.com/electra_project.htm

second idea.

a friend has a PROJECT cal 25 on a really nice trailer he custom built for the biat. He would pretty much give it away to somebody who promises to make it Sail again 

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
The Dolphin 24 is a beauty! I twice was very close to buying one. She has a centerboard with a partial full keel (ok, that is an oxymoron, but I don't know the proper word, so the sailing characteristics will be quite different from a Macgregor 25, but I see that you want something classic. The Ariel or Commander are great as well, but I would say those are not nearly as nice as the Dolphin.

What to look for: If you have not done so, check the owner sites. I know the Dolphin24 and Ariel sites have active fleets. The Ariel in particular seems to be a boat that people like to restore and people often lose interest when their work is completed. I have seen some unloaded that way with almost everything but the hull replaced and updated. The upgrade value is a small part of the investment made and the extra $ you pay  will be easily saved in the first year or so, as opposed to investing heavily in rigging, paint, sails, thru-hulls, hardware and whatever else you have to replace on that "bargain boat."

Overall, these boats were built pretty much bulletproof, but there might be some differences between different series. Again, check the owner websites.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Ensign, Electra, Seafarer Kestral 22’ are all good boats. The Kestral was an S&S design built in Huntington, Long Island in the 60’s and 70’s.

The Kestral is neat in that it has an outboard tucked in a lazarette and has Bombay doors which swing down when you need to use the iron Genny. Also, it’s a centerboarder so you can really get in close to the shoreline.

FF4A40B9-68AC-46CF-A121-4E0F0AF11E6C.jpeg

EA98B048-BA7E-45CE-9309-EC4AF625C18B.png

C5D8947C-AC6C-4D82-AB19-9B71D40672DD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sisu3360

Anarchist
Ensign, Electra, Seafarer Kestral 22’ are all good boats. The Kestral was an S&S design built in Huntington, Long Island in the 60’s and 70’s.

The Kestral is neat in that it has an outboard tucked in a lazarette and has Bombay doors which swing down when you need to use the iron Genny. Also, it’s a centerboarder so you can really get in close to the shoreline.

View attachment 372666

View attachment 372667

View attachment 372668
Good call on the Kestrel, I forgot about that one! @Gouvernail, that Electra is a beauty. I'll shoot you a PM. I'm not sold on the small end of the range yet (I'd like to sleep at least 3 without it being cramped), but it's a head-turner for sure.

The Yankee Dolphin[a true sleeper].  The Renegade. was also a Shaw design, it felt a lot bigger, did the job, but the Dolphin always beat us on. ratings.
I hope to launch mine, but I'd let it go to someone who's really interested (it's a project).

Should be great on WL courses, fast downwind with the board up, running deep with the big masthead chute.

Great for the Southeast, shallow draft to begin with, and a keel shape and strength to run aground safely.

Hammer

Anarchist
Toronto
From that Era  you could try the C&C 27 or 29, decent sailing boats, with ratings you can work with.  

If you can find an Express 30, not to many built... but the Goman Built Express (Killing design) boats were/are still very competitive and comfortable.  

Northern 1/4 ton from sailboat data.

1972 C&C design for MORC. Pretty hot shit little boat when it came out. Became the Mirage 24. My dad’s first boat was an early Northern. He did very well in MORC with Whisper until the J/24s arrived. He said he was faster in the light upwind, even in moderate, lost in breeze and the Js had speed downwind in every condition. No active listings for the more numerous Mirage 24s. $2000-$5000 range from past listings. Great designs for the money.
northern_1-4%20ton_drawing.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Northern 1/4 ton from sailboat data.

1972 C&C design for MORC. Pretty hot shit little boat when it came out. Became the Mirage 24. My dad’s first boat was an early Northern. He did very well in MORC with Whisper until the J/24s arrived. He said he was faster in the light upwind, even in moderate, lost in breeze and the Js had speed downwind in every condition. No active listings for the more numerous Mirage 24s. $2000-$5000 range from past listings. Great designs for the money.
Ummm... I believe it was named the Northern 1/4 Ton because it was an IOR level rater, not a MORC design.