Help me spec a new rig

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Haven’t been down to see it yet but received more photos. Hope to be there tomorrow am for the money shot

63937277-0D70-4CDC-82F2-9847E68A2EA0.jpeg

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
According to the results no finish time was declared so possibly didn't make it to the start. 
Some bolt rope / luff track compatibility issues arose late on Friday night whilst rigging...

Hope to be out sailing this weekend!

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Some bolt rope / luff track compatibility issues arose late on Friday night whilst rigging...

Hope to be out sailing this weekend!
If that’s North building the sail to the wrong boltrope then they should know better. Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve not checked and probably guessed 

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
If that’s North building the sail to the wrong boltrope then they should know better. Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve not checked and probably guessed 
Nah, am trying to get half a season out of a 2016 Nordac main and will think about replacing this winter when comfortable with tune/balance of new stick.

This is the Selden track designed for sliders or a 7 mm boltrope. 8 mm seems to be more usual in this size range. 

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Nah, am trying to get half a season out of a 2016 Nordac main and will think about replacing this winter when comfortable with tune/balance of new stick.

This is the Selden track designed for sliders or a 7 mm boltrope. 8 mm seems to be more usual in this size range. 
Ahhh fair enough, I saw the photo with the new jib and jumped to conclusions!

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
Stick looks great, but looking at your lowers it looks like the angle doesn't match the chainplate. (That could be pics)
Did you move spreader height?

P.s. I've got some serious jib envy going on! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Stick looks great, but looking at your lowers it looks like the angle doesn't match the chainplate. (That could be pics)
Did you move spreader height?
Hadn't noticed that but, yes, looks a little off. Probably fixable with some bending.

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
Hadn't noticed that but, yes, looks a little off. Probably fixable with some bending.
Its always a bit iffy bending metals back in the opposite direction, its been a long long time since I finished my apprenticeship so my only advice would be plenty of heat. Probably someone on here could give a more exact recommendation. 

Jono

Super Anarchist
Sailed Cowes WeeK?

Looked like good weather. Last time I did it Projections were new!

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Looked like good weather. Last time I did it Projections were new!
Working last week sadly. Going down to Dartmouth for regatta end of this month. 

Slowly getting things dialled in… loving the stiffness & lighter weight of the new stick as well as ergonomic improvements like cam cleats for temporary halyard holding. 

I am a big evangelist for Garmin GNX120 displays as well. I now have 4 which gives me space for 12 (24 if you count alternating or pre/post start gun) custom channels out of Expedition. In the Solent, having live Winning Tides predicted set/drift without having to open up the book or tablet is awesome. Plus laylines etc. 

some moody shots below

306F14D0-49A9-47EF-A284-1D7F375CFD11.jpeg

EA755D78-573E-43E8-93EA-B26B63B5C929.jpeg

Jono

Super Anarchist
How was Dartmouth? Looks like a big event for them.

Seemed like a good division for your boat.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
How was Dartmouth? Looks like a big event for them.

Seemed like a good division for your boat.
Great fun although our sailing performance was at best forgettable... put it down to strong social performance and figuring out how to make the boat go in light airs. Good sized IRC2 division with some v well sailed boats at the sharp end. We are 9203R looking a bit flat in this shot.

dartstart.png

https://paulgibbinsphotography.pixieset.com/dartmouthregatta2021/p/NTU3MjczNDk5MA==-MjY3OTk3MjE5Nw/

Last edited by a moderator:

Matagi

Super Antichrist
This is such an insightful thread, thank you. Excellent result, well done.
I'm somewhat at a point where you were a year ago, regarding my Waarschip 725.

My boat has a much too heavy original mast, I needed three (almost four) men to step it, last time. Also, the sail area is rather low and not very well divided: small main, large genoa, not ideal for family cruising in waters where I need to tack often. 

I am looking at buying a beach cat mast and modifying that (e.g. cutting it a bit), I think it would be much easier to step, maybe even alone.

Then I might give it new sails from existing classes, such as the Seascape 18 and the J22. I don't want to add too much sail area high above, I don't believe in 'pointy' sail area. I'd rather reduce overall weight for a better SA/D. Therefore, I might also make some changes to the appendages.

Here is how the end result could look like (here with a Nacra 6.0 as a spar donor in the background), any thoughts are highly welcome! 

diva_sailplan.jpg

Latest posts