Help me spec a new rig

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Great fun although our sailing performance was at best forgettable... put it down to strong social performance and figuring out how to make the boat go in light airs. Good sized IRC2 division with some v well sailed boats at the sharp end. We are 9203R looking a bit flat in this shot.

View attachment 462887

https://paulgibbinsphotography.pixieset.com/dartmouthregatta2021/p/NTU3MjczNDk5MA==-MjY3OTk3MjE5Nw/
We found that for fully crewed windward/leeward races, she is more competitive in the symetric mode, especially with the larger white spinnaker purchased by Tristan.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
We found that for fully crewed windward/leeward races, she is more competitive in the symetric mode, especially with the larger white spinnaker purchased by Tristan.
That's what we were speculating. I think the IRC number w/ the 65 sqm sym kite is something like 0.980 and we would have been at the higher end of IRC3. With the 85 sqm asym we were on 0.990 and struggling for clear air off the line against boats with a 2-3 ft longer waterline.

One to play around with for next season I think.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Bump. Any racing this season?

Yep, we have been out and about inshore and offshore, crewed / 2H / solo with some respectable results. Highlight was probably executing a great 2H downwind start in front of the Castle on RORC TV :-D (that's us with the yellow kite)

IMG_2665.PNG

IMG_2667.JPG

8BCD8D26-3D16-4E1E-B722-14893087C75A.jpg

This winter is going to be about sails - new jibs need a bit taking off the leech, frac spinnakers need adjusting to match the new hoist and I think it's finally time to replace the 2016 (!) Nordac main, which is "draft aft" to say the least. I suspect we will be able to increase the size of the headboard (given the large crane on the new rig), which in turn will reduce the amount of work that the top batten is doing to support the roach. I have always struggled to get halyard tension right with this main, as it seems that the right tension lower down puts way too much curve in the top batten.

IMG_2849 v2.jpeg

Jono

Super Anarchist
Re the main. Did you ever have the bolt rope loosened? So many times I find on older sails that the halyard tension is all on the bolt rope and not the sail. The same with luff tapes on headsails.