Help me Spend Money on Clutches

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
The handle on one of the "vintage" clutches on my Tartan 33 broke.  Looking at the other clutch I saw a small crack in the body, so it looks like the smart move is to replace them both.

Curious to hear the group's thoughts.  Spinlock? Antal? Lewmar? Other????

Thanks

mgs

canoeman
maine
I’m a fan of Spinlock. Less moving parts than lewmar, and easy to repair if need be. 

I don’t have enough experience with Antal to comment. 

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Some of the clutches on my boat are original 30yo Antal and still working. I replaced others with textile Constrictor and a couple with new Antal.

The old Antal all worked but I believe the teeth were just worn for the new, smaller, WARPSPEED line I installed. the un replaced Antal are in use for more high friction line and for larger Warpspeed. That is to say, I’m not sure that any clutch will hold UHMWPE line at the small end of the clutch size range. Constrictors are hella good if you are using UHMWPE line…

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
I like Lewmar clutches, but you need to size the clutch carefully to the line. 

I’d probably consider constrictors if I were starting over. 

T sailor

Chesapeake
I have Spinlocks, an antal and constrictors on my boat.  

For the money, the new Spinlock XTR's are pretty nice.  Aluminum body which is much nicer than the plastic on the xts.  Downside is I think you need to be in the larger diameter lines to get high holding values (11-12mm).  I also have the XCS which is also nice but more money.  Added benefit is you can get the ceramic cams for it.  

I think we prefer the XCS over the constrictors.   We only have one Antal on the boat (spin tack line) but it seems to be more abrasive to the cover on the line and has slipped.

T

Soho

Bermuda..
Some of the clutches on my boat are original 30yo Antal and still working. I replaced others with textile Constrictor and a couple with new Antal.

The old Antal all worked but I believe the teeth were just worn for the new, smaller, WARPSPEED line I installed. the un replaced Antal are in use for more high friction line and for larger Warpspeed. That is to say, I’m not sure that any clutch will hold UHMWPE line at the small end of the clutch size range. Constrictors are hella good if you are using UHMWPE line…
I have Antal and have worked very well, no issues at all.  16 years old and counting.  

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I had both Lewmar and Spinlock on my last boat. The Lewmar was VERY sensitive to line diameter. Lines at the low end of the range simply wouldn't hold.

The Spinlocks would hold thinner dyneema than the spec said. Not well but at least they held 

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
Another vote for Spinlock.

As well as the product being decent, after purchase support is good with regards to spares, I completely rebuild my XAs with new parts where required despite them being pretty damn old. 

crankcall

Super Anarchist
Toronto
I have 1 yr old Lewmar, line in the middle range slips on main. we hoist then put it on a cleat behind the clutch . The other lewmars hold fine

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
Guys thanks!  So I decided to go Spinlock XTRs.

Removed the old clutch from the mast and it is a Spinlock XA.  Thinking I would upgrade to a different clutch, I did some measuring.  The XA is the ONLY Spinlock clutch that mounts 79mm o/c.  All the others Spinlock clutches are 70mm.  So it looks like I will rebuild the one on the mast and upgrade the cockpit sinks to a double so I can trim the vang easier.