Help with Kiwi 22 Mini Ton

dougjones

I've got a Kiwi 22 (Mini Ton) that is going through a bit of an overhaul and finally getting her registered in FL. It has always lived in FL, best I can tell. We cannot seem to find the title, we've had the boat about 15 years on a trailer. The problem is that we cannot find the HIN on the transom of the boat and other owners cannot seem to locate theirs either. The local tax collector doesn't seem to have a record of the title either, but that could be because its been sitting so long without being registered.

I'm looking for any other Kiwi 22 owners that might be willing to share any documentation they would have or if they know exactly where the imprint is and where I should look. Even if you know what your hull number is that would help. I think there are only like 7 or 8 of these boats and I know that #2 and #5 are not mine, I think I might be #7, but am not sure. I'm not sure why I think that or maybe I was told that when we got the boat, oh so long ago.

V21

GA
Given this is anarchy after all. I had a bit of a hard time with the GA DNR registering a boat, it was some minor paperwork deal and they were dicks. I chose the fuck them option and don't bother, never really seen any enforcement in GA at least.

I also have a small utility trailer with, shock horror.... No tag.

nota

Anarchist
some how they
never listed a weight on my trailers registration
so that paper became the one weight fits all trailers

aka the golden tag as there is no numbers just homemade

so every thing from the small daysailer trailer hobie cat trailer
the car dolly and the huge cat trailer all have used the same tag
that is now on the kat ketch trailer
as I have never used two trailers at once

dougjones

Given this is anarchy after all. I had a bit of a hard time with the GA DNR registering a boat, it was some minor paperwork deal and they were dicks. I chose the fuck them option and don't bother, never really seen any enforcement in GA at least.

I also have a small utility trailer with, shock horror.... No tag.
I was thinking about resisterung and titling it in GA and then transferring it to FL once GA title comes through. I understand it's a little paperwork, but can be done all online?

guerdon

Anarchist
Perhaps, there is no HIN. You need the build date. I got out of the industry right when the HIN was proposed, so its possible that it predates this law. You can get official looking HIN stickers on the internet for about $50. Just find out what the code is for the builder from the others hulls. Good luck.

J Keeley

I have a Kiwi mini ton. Just looked, does not have a hull I'd number on the transom I have a title with the number on it. Message me I'll try to help.

mikegt4

ohio
IIRC, the transition to HIN numbers was not a cast in stone date, rather phased in over the course of several years. Some manufacturers utilized the system early on, others (usually small operations) lagged far behind.

Likely it never had a HIN but today's government officials don't work outside having those numbers. I had to jump through hoops to title a 1957 Rhodes 18 that state officials insisted should have a HIN number on the transom. Also had some problems with my 1981 Farr 740, imported from NZ. Sometimes finding the most senior (age wise) official in the department can move the process along at a faster pace.

dougjones

Thanks for the help. I had an inspection from Florida Wildlife Conservation today and the guy was friendly, but absolutely no help. I believe exact words were "welp, there's no HIN, so you may as well cut it up and take it to the dump".

He said this in all seriousness, standing in front of my newly recored and freshly painted Kiwi that now looks to be in mint condition. Newly painted mast, all new mast hardware, new sails from precision, and a bunch of repair to the stringers and structure inside. The thing is a dime and he's telling me to cut it up, cause it'll never get registered in Florida.

He told me that he really should confiscate it right there cause it lacked HIN.

Today was a bad day.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Thanks for the help. I had an inspection from Florida Wildlife Conservation today and the guy was friendly, but absolutely no help. I believe exact words were "welp, there's no HIN, so you may as well cut it up and take it to the dump".

He said this in all seriousness, standing in front of my newly recored and freshly painted Kiwi that now looks to be in mint condition. Newly painted mast, all new mast hardware, new sails from precision, and a bunch of repair to the stringers and structure inside. The thing is a dime and he's telling me to cut it up, cause it'll never get registered in Florida.

He told me that he really should confiscate it right there cause it lacked HIN.

Today was a bad day.

Not sure what the Florida Gestapo is capable of, but in other states -somebody- in the bureaucracy understands that older boats don't have HINs because it wasn't invented yet. Kind of like old cars without seat belts.

It's probably not illegal to own a boat without an HIN; there must be a process to register it. It sounds like you've done enough work on it, that you could reasonably call it "home built" (or whatever their legal term is) and apply for a HIN.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Sometimes you have to keep asking the same question of the authorities until you get a satisfactory answer.

Try a different bureaucrat than the guy who told you to cut it up. Some states have a "lost title" procedure for times like this. Good luck!!