Here it is: The ever lasting 5.5 metre world cup thread

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Morty is doing five fives in style now that the fast 40s are dead. 
One Hollom, one Quigley/David Heritage

image.png

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Under the International Rule, according to Wiki, there have been 23mR, 19mR, 15mR, 12mR, 10mR, 9mR, 8mR, 7mR, 6mR, 5m,  4mR. I'm not sure how accurate that list is. I've seen 5 metres, 7 metres, 9s, 15s and 23s. Apparently, 4 metres had a moment in Sweden in the 40s. 

The 5.5 is a different formula, devised by Charles Nicholson and Malden Heckstall-Smith in 1948 as a much cheaper boat than a six - only 3 crew, and jibs rather than overlapping genoas. There's some overlap between the 5.5 rule and the ACC rule. 

A link for 5s. https://www.5metre.fi/

Just to also make life difficult, there's a cruiser racer metre rule, that had some traction on the Clyde after the war. But again, AIUI, different from all 3 versions of the International Rule. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Schakel

Dayboat sailor

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Morty's latest 5.5s are the ultimate in absolute refinement.  Lovely boats.  John Green in Cowes has been sharing some pics.  

I love the mast heel on a track, so downwind you move the heel a foot aft and the whole rig dangles over the bow with the kite foot in the water.  It's believed to be faster!

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Morty's latest 5.5s are the ultimate in absolute refinement.  Lovely boats.  John Green in Cowes has been sharing some pics.  

I love the mast heel on a track, so downwind you move the heel a foot aft and the whole rig dangles over the bow with the kite foot in the water.  It's believed to be faster!
I found this one:
5.5 cowes.PNG

I sailed on 5.5 metre made in 1960´s and it had apparently original mast heel track. It had about 30 centimeters of movement. 

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
I thought that they did that because J (base of fore triangle) was measured, so the more usual way of adjusting rake - a slot in the deck and mast blocks/lever - was illegal.

A quick skim of the class rules shows nothing like that is immediately obvious.