Highest speed logged under sail

What is your maximum boat speed logged under sail?

• < 10 knots

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 10 - <20 knots

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • 20 - <25 knots

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • 25 - <30 knots

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • 30 - <35 knots

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • 35 - <40 knots

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 40 + knots

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
I thought it'd be interesting to do a quick poll and find out the 'average' top speed people have logged under sail - I'm guessing that with the foiling generation and increase in offshore performance for short handed boats that more people will clocking 20+ knots on a regular basis.

To clarify, this is aimed at sail BOATS - dinghies, multihulls or keel boats doesn't matter but NOT kite, wing or windsurf boards.

Shu

Super Anarchist
I noticed no one has yet submitted less than 10 kts. Lots of 4kt Sbox owners here. But I suppose almost everyone here has been on a screaming reach in a Laser or similar.

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Even 4kt Sboxes can have their moment. I clocked 11.2kts on the gps with a folkboat surfing down a wave in a strong quarterly breeze with good shove of tidal current - sustained for between 5-10 seconds.

Realistic measure of real world performance? No, but still in my mind my highest speed logged.

For the sake of full disclosure, in normal circumstances (no waves or current) the boat's highest speed has been 7.6 kts - fully respectable for a full keeled boat with a 20ft waterline!

The Q

Super Anarchist
yep done the screaming reach in a laser, pity it wasn't during a race..

Have also planed a 20ft 3/4 ton open deck keelboat... Once,

Downright terrifying with the river bank just 50ft off each side.. Went from near last in the fleet to first in 800 yards. Top speed no idea but probably heading for 15.. (normal max about 5.5knots)

The Q

Super Anarchist
Helm,

We weren't trying for it, We just cleared a bunch of trees with spinnaker up and Bang a gust hit us and off we went. The only time we've planed the yeoman in 20+ years of sailing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
7.1 knots in the S20

8 knots in the S2 7.9

12+ knots in the MC scow (hanging on with our toes to the hiking straps)

80 knots in a Sailplane. (Highest form of human life, flying in a thermal with a raptor) 

Last edited by a moderator:

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
A Swan 65 usually doesn’t even surf - 40 metric tonnes with a stern as pointy as a H-Boat my ass! But if you get the timing right on one of those looooong, tall, but not very steep Atlantic waves: KA-ZOOOOOM! 24 knots. 

(I wasn’t helming, my personal record was 18knots the same day.) 

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
We hit 22.7 in our first Flying Tiger 10m in 32 true. It felt like the world was coming to an end...

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
18.4 kts on my Weta, but over 20 several times on various 27' to 31' OPB trimarans.  And, yes, I have been on the helm OPB 20+

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
I've said it many times.  Going 20 kts on something like a Melges is pretty sweet.   Hitting 13 on an 18,000 pound dinosaur is terrifyingly awesome. 

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
27 plus on quite possibly the wettest IRC 52 in existence.

IMG_8557.PNG

Kate short for Bob

Super Anarchist
I thought it'd be interesting to do a quick poll and find out the 'average' top speed people have logged under sail - I'm guessing that with the foiling generation and increase in offshore performance for short handed boats that more people will clocking 20+ knots on a regular basis.

To clarify, this is aimed at sail BOATS - dinghies, multihulls or keel boats doesn't matter but NOT kite, wing or windsurf boards.
Obviously Peter Burling and Blair Tuke are not reading this forum.