Highest speed logged under sail

What is your maximum boat speed logged under sail?

• < 10 knots

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 10 - <20 knots

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • 20 - <25 knots

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • 25 - <30 knots

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • 30 - <35 knots

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • 35 - <40 knots

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 40 + knots

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

casc27

Super Anarchist
21 knots single handed in a Santa Cruz 27.  Pinned on port pole under the GG bridge passed the North tower with about 50 feet to spare. (Felt like inches.) Had to wait until I blew into the bay a bit to take the kite down. Never been happier to depower. The second most scared I've been on a boat. 

Tom O'Keefe

Super Anarchist
27 plus on quite possibly the wettest IRC 52 in existence.

View attachment 473119
That's me about to take my hundered and something wave to the face. We went into the back of one wave at 23 knots accelerated to over 24 knots with the gooseneck under water.

But, that's not my fastest.  28.3 knots surfing off Point Conception on Horizon was my peak speed so far. Lots and lots of rides just shy of that.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
I did 15.2 a couple times on our Bene 40.7. That was just before losing it in a jibe broach with poled out #3 in 30 sustained. Later, on watch in the cockpit with another guy driving I saw 17. Then we took the sails down and did 7.5 under bare poles. At night! 

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
24.2 knots entering Molokai channel  on Lahaina to Honolulu race, driving High Noon (Peterson 2 tonner with a tiller)

30 something on the Ultimate 30 destruction derby race in Seattle.

20's plus all the time on my Tornado

harrygee

Tasmania
If bare poles counts as "under sail",

100+ nm in ten hours.

Twice, an East Coast low and Cyclone Osea.

30ft catamaran

Not happy either time.  :unsure:

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
While at the helm, or as crew?
Either - if you were onboard it counts.

I hadn't anticipated the stories that go with each top speed - fucking awesome, thanks everyone. 

My max so far is 30 going downwind on an IMOCA headed down the US West coast - that was a fun ride.

PhilipNZ

New Zealand
30.6 knots in Sundreamer while setting the multihull Auckland to Tauranga record in 2004 that still stands

20.25 knots in my trailer sailor with Jeremy Lomas and his kids onboard 

Jason AUS

Super Anarchist
Sydney
28 knots crossing Bass Strait on a Volvo 60 with a masthead C6 chute and full main. With both the rear water ballast tanks full it was like playing fetch with a Labrador. “This wave? Can we surf this wave? Please? Wave? Wheeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh!!!!! Waaaaaave!!!! Again? This wave?”

Doug Halsey

28.7 knots on my home-built V-foiler Broomstick

1163664317_2-Broomstick_5-11-09_0037.jpg

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
17 knots plus on an X119, the transducer would be out of the water on the waves over 17, no one had a gps track capturing and even then in those days the sample rate to was too infrequent to get an accurate speed

its possible I went faster once on a Hobie 18 in an around Treasure Island race, sure seemed pretty fast.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
17 knots plus on an X119, the transducer would be out of the water on the waves over 17, no one had a gps track capturing and even then in those days the sample rate to was too infrequent to get an accurate speed

its possible I went faster once on a Hobie 18 in an around Treasure Island race, sure seemed pretty fast.
True. A boat is not really surfing if the transducer is in the water.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
on the night in question we were overtaking smaller swells but the highest speeds were when we were on the face of larger swells, we set the record for round ups that night, it got totally out of hand and was pitch dark and we finally got to where we were either flying with bow waves back to the helm or on our side trying to coax the thing back up to go again, after hours of this with all hands at battle stations it became unsafe with the fatigue levels and conditions

we finally dropped the chute and with the #3 and one reef we were consistently still doing long surfs at 13-15 knots until the wind machine stopped at dawn in Gaviota

V21

GA
on the night in question we were overtaking smaller swells but the highest speeds were when we were on the face of larger swells, we set the record for round ups that night, it got totally out of hand and was pitch dark and we finally got to where we were either flying with bow waves back to the helm or on our side trying to coax the thing back up to go again, after hours of this with all hands at battle stations it became unsafe with the fatigue levels and conditions

we finally dropped the chute and with the #3 and one reef we were consistently still doing long surfs at 13-15 knots until the wind machine stopped at dawn in Gaviota
That's when you know it's blowing some, love those stories, "we finally got the chute down and were still hitting 20's with just a triple reefed main"