Highest speed logged under sail

What is your maximum boat speed logged under sail?

• < 10 knots

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 10 - <20 knots

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • 20 - <25 knots

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • 25 - <30 knots

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • 30 - <35 knots

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • 35 - <40 knots

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 40 + knots

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters
Most fun was 23 kts sustained on a F-31.  Was a blast blowing past all the Rolex big boats with their matching crew sweaters as we flew past in a mass of spray. (We were just playing that day.)

22.1 kts measured over a quarter mile on a Hobie 16...

image.png

28.5 kts max instantaneous on the gps on a Hobie 16 up the delta on a ditch run.  That was simply terrifying, trapped off the rudder casing, not daring to turn for fear of pitch-polling into the river bank...

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I can’t find the 44 knot run on Foncia, but here’s the 37.7 knot one on Race for Water.  Both MOD 70 in one design trim (pre-foiling)

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
That's when you know it's blowing some, love those stories, "we finally got the chute down and were still hitting 20's with just a triple reefed main"
the fucking take down was epic, still surfing like crazy with just the full main and burying the nose into the back of some swells (amazing how the chute can lift the bow up), I finally overrode the the guy who thought he was the crew boss and we opened the forward hatch to get the chute below with two guys just puling the thing in, he was convinced 20-30 gallons of water was going to sink the boat, complete tool that guy was, anyway we got the thing down and the 3 up with the reef and then my buddy and I double handed while the rest went down to sleep, owners girlfriend would not let us cross the shipping channel for fear of ramming on a clear moonless night (another tool) so we just sailed into the big hole north of Santa Barbara and sat there for 10 hours with 70 other boats, the guys who went way out to the channel islands and did a big half moon won along with a bunch of small boats that caught up and finished within minutes of all but the smart folks

Most fun was 23 kts sustained on a F-31.  Was a blast blowing past all the Rolex big boats with their matching crew sweaters as we flew past in a mass of spray. (We were just playing that day.)

22.1 kts measured over a quarter mile on a Hobie 16...

View attachment 473420

28.5 kts max instantaneous on the gps on a Hobie 16 up the delta on a ditch run.  That was simply terrifying, trapped off the rudder casing, not daring to turn for fear of pitch-polling into the river bank...
You can go high twenties on a big boat while sitting on your ass. To do the same on a small craft while trapezing is epic and a much smaller club. Make one mistake and it can go very bad, especially during the DD. Nice job.

not a sock

LIS
15.5 knots on my Peterson 37 Valour surfing off a wave near block island with the chute up for the first time in a race.  not sure if we knew enough to be scared yet

25kts, during 1993  Brisbane to Gladstone race, my first offshore race, blew like stink (45 kts through the night), new home built boat, water fruit and food sloshing around in pod because of leaking windows, are we having fun yet!

F6865541-1A94-4A25-9D48-596DCA0E9C7C.png

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
28 knots crossing Bass Strait on a Volvo 60 with a masthead C6 chute and full main. With both the rear water ballast tanks full it was like playing fetch with a Labrador. “This wave? Can we surf this wave? Please? Wave? Wheeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh!!!!! Waaaaaave!!!! Again? This wave?”
Merit? I was delivery crew back to Sydney years ago and reefed delivery main and little jib somewhere south of Maria we hit 25 +/_, the breeze was fresh, but by no means frightening. She loved to surf. 

High teens, probably low 20s on my last boat, Elliott 7, but always to busy to look at the speedo. 16 was always pretty controlled and comfortable.

18 on a Twiggy trimaran while looking at the hand held GPS, but went much faster lots of times when it wasn't available. 

Still waiting for good conditions for Prion (Mt Gay 30) to show her potential, low teens so far in flat water and 20somethin breeze. 

Jason AUS

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Merit? I was delivery crew back to Sydney years ago and reefed delivery main and little jib somewhere south of Maria we hit 25 +/_, the breeze was fresh, but by no means frightening. She loved to surf. 

High teens, probably low 20s on my last boat, Elliott 7, but always to busy to look at the speedo. 16 was always pretty controlled and comfortable.

18 on a Twiggy trimaran while looking at the hand held GPS, but went much faster lots of times when it wasn't available. 

Still waiting for good conditions for Prion (Mt Gay 30) to show her potential, low teens so far in flat water and 20somethin breeze. 
Getaway / Djuice 2

Prion is going to be a ball once she lights up!

^^ haha, was a scary night! didn’t realise until I saw that photo that the jib was nearly hanging in the water and could’ve tripped us over!  
 More recently I’ve had my cruising cat up to 23.8kts with no fear and have even hit 16.9 towing my dinghy (with fear for the dinghy,she always lives on the davits underway since then)

552993E6-0929-462D-B8CC-D633ADAABC0C.png

58CC804E-FB17-44E7-B5C7-E9A900F45E99.png

I have had some thrilling rides on beach cats and dinghy's but that was before I had methods to measure speed on these boats.
I am curious to know, but don't know how they fit in here.

C&C 35  -  14.3 knots surfing down waves in a blow.  I don't remember the wind speed, but we were doublehanded using a #3 and reef in the main.  Average boat speed over 10 knots for a few hours.  A very exciting ride.

If iceboats count:
DN - 44.7 mph - an absolute thrilling rush of speed
C skeeter - 54.2 mph  -  a very comfortable, controlled ride.  Fast and fun to sail all day up to 50mph, lots of power left if I had wind, but at 53-55mph the steering skate wouldn't grip anymore.  Losing steering at 50+mph increases the pucker factor quickly!  Modifications have been made to hopefully address the steering issue.  Looking forward to testing them out.  I expect that I should be able to increase this number now.
A skeeter - 58.1 mph - I was taking it very easy with the boat, sailing it for the first time, literally trying to take it easy.  I was in a bay that was a little small for a boat this size, wind was in the high teens.  Sailing at this speed was smooth, the boat clearly wanted more.  The only concern was how fast the beach was approaching and being ready for the next turn.  The acceleration coming out of the turns was the CRAZY part.  The few other times I have sailed it were light wind days where pushing the boat would get me to 50-55mph.  Looking forward to sailing the boat in conditions that allow me to hold the speed a bit longer and see what she can really do.

Nice! He said “Uh oh!” Then “I don’t know what happened there.” Heh. Maybe something about that lee bow pretending to be a submarine?
Yep, we are working on getting our weight further back on the reach. I've put some hydro-turf on the aft hulls so we can trap way back. Still this pitchpole turned out better than our first.

Latest posts