Hobie 14

Never

F16 can be sailed and raced solo with main plus gennaker setup . Or two up with jib.
I thought about that one. 15 and 16 are my future upgrades. For now, I am interested in a step up above the Wave.

Last edited:

Never

I am also looking at the Topaz 14CX. I wonder if they get up and go in light winds. She seems to be faster than the Wave.

Last edited:

kruiter

Honlulu
Some of it will depend on your weight. I'm a big guy 6'5" and 280lbs. Too heavy for a H14 and about right to count as both crew on a H16. So, I generally solo my H16 which works fine-ish. The weight is right but its a lot of lines and controls for one person to manage, especially if you are thinking trapeze. Also consider the availability of your crew. I can rarely get my crew out anyhow, so something that works for me solo gets a lot more hours on it.

Never

Some of it will depend on your weight. I'm a big guy 6'5" and 280lbs. Too heavy for a H14 and about right to count as both crew on a H16. So, I generally solo my H16 which works fine-ish. The weight is right but its a lot of lines and controls for one person to manage, especially if you are thinking trapeze. Also consider the availability of your crew. I can rarely get my crew out anyhow, so something that works for me solo gets a lot more hours on it.
You're perfect for soloing an H16. I'm 160 lbs - still have to lose some weight or turn it into muscles. I won't be able to right H16, maybe after some more experience, but not now. I have no crew. I've rented Waves many times and outgrown them. I was solo sailing all times. I think I can deal with a Topaz 14cx, but then I will possibly get bored of it soon too.

Nacra 460 and 500 both looks great, simple sails, faster than many other boats in the same category, and seems hard to outgrow them. If I can right them myself though - and to be honest, I don't see why they would be easier to right than H16. Maybe, I have to invest in a cat righting bag.

Last edited:

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
I thought Nacra 15 was designed for the youth. Yeah, ONE rig will be FAST solo.
I think both 460 will work solo (it talks about being a single-trapeze boat). Nacra 15 One definitely works - the main is smaller and lower making it easier to right, but I can right my standard N15 at 80Kg (takes some work though).

460 looks easier, less technical. Blast around.

A N15 will be a lot more technical, but also, probably has more of a resale market given N15 is a youth class, pathway to Olympics...

Never

I think both 460 will work solo (it talks about being a single-trapeze boat). Nacra 15 One definitely works - the main is smaller and lower making it easier to right, but I can right my standard N15 at 80Kg (takes some work though).

460 looks easier, less technical. Blast around.

A N15 will be a lot more technical, but also, probably has more of a resale market given N15 is a youth class, pathway to Olympics...
It says single trapeze, but I am guessing it means the tillerman sits on the hull. I've seen only one photo of a solo sailer on 460.

Nacra 15 One is too technical for my experience level. It can be my future upgrade.

I have to figure out righting a 460 solo in this case, or find another option.

Last edited:

Goodvibes

under the southern cross I stand ...
What are the things to be careful with buying one?
The side stays are attached to the tramp rail. They corrode at that point, chain plate joins section.
We used to do things like seal the section so water could not get in but it never worked.

Never

Last edited:
I see that Hobie has just ditched the 14 and 16.

Could be good or bad news for the Hobie Cat sailor. Time will tell.

Never

Could be good or bad news for the Hobie Cat sailor. Time will tell
This thread is getting more and more depressing. maybe I should give a serious consideration to Topaz 14cx. Couldn't be that bad.

Never

Could be good or bad news for the Hobie Cat sailor. Time will tell.
i didnt see hobby 16 being axed though in the article.

david r

Anarchist
pond
They are having the Hobie Cat nationals in Australia near Christmas time. They emailed me back about renting a boat a month or so ago. They seemed to be saying there were a few brand new H14s available at that time. I was under the impression that they can make Hobie 14s there. I wonder if the French factory still makes them. All the cats made need to get shipped into the usa anymore, so importing from France is normal now. i think the nacras might come from Asia, but they don't like ppl saying that. We used to import tornados from England. It was not that big a deal back in the day.
Buying used would be the quickest way to get a nice beach cat.