Hobie 33 hull identification

AzonicT27

I am buying and picking up a hobie 33 this month.

I've no doubt it's a hobie 33..
However, it is advertised as hull #202..

Pretty sure that common knowledge puts the H33 count at 187... plus a few that were made from molds in the early 2000's?

Wanted to see if there was any help out there with this hull #...

Most of what I find is limited to the cats..

CCMM4202M83E

Thanks everyone

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI

Serial numbers are hand-engraved using a vibration tool. To find your boat’s serial number:
  • On kayaks, serial numbers are located near the rear of the boat, on the underside on most models.
  • On sailboats, serial numbers are located near the rudder attachment point.
Newer boats have a rectangular, raised ridge around the serial number to make it easier to find. Rubbing a small amount of graphite or soil into the serial number engraving may make it easier to read. Each serial number follows one of the following patterns:
  • CCMB1234A708
  • US-CCMB1234A708
Broken into its component parts (US- | CCM | B1234 | A | 7 | 08) , a boat serial number conveys the following information:
  • US- or FR- or CN-: Country of origin of the boat (Hobie boats are made in the United States, France, and China). The country of origin may not appear on older boats.
  • CCM or HCC or HCE: Indicates the manufacturing company. CCM and HCC indicate boats manufactured by Hobie Cat Company (USA). HCE indicates boats manufactured by Hobie Cat Europe.
  • B1234: Indicates the model and sequential serial number. In most cases, the model is indicated with a single letter, but sometimes two letters are used.
  • A: Month of manufacture – A (January) through L (December).
  • 7: Last digit of the year of manufacture.
  • 08: Last two digits of the model year.

AzonicT27

I've gotten the same info, but can't determine with confidence what the actual hull number is....

Thanks

LakeBoy

Random Internet Guy
Production from '82 to '87 = 6 years
Production of 187 = ~30 / year (based on WAG method)
1982 = #2 - 31
1983 = #32 - 61

Ballpark would be around 60 - 80 with the year being '83??

Guessing the model started with 4100+ hull count then your boat at 4202 = #102.

I had #185 from 1987 however I don't have any documentation to check my HIN to see if it was 4285 based on the assumptions (I know the danger with them) above.

Have you thoroughly inspected every surface inside the hull. There should be a second "hidden" HIN. There may also be a hull number.

AzonicT27

Yeah, the boat is being advertised...(well, sold as) an '83...
So that checks as well..
But, new sails were bought and installed recently as #202 and I don't see any way that 147/187 count could get to #202..

If anyone has a hull code they can validate with?

And, I have not doubled checked the whole thing yet.. comes out of the water and towed home in a couple weeks...

halfcat

I am buying and picking up a hobie 33 this month.

I've no doubt it's a hobie 33..
However, it is advertised as hull #202..

Pretty sure that common knowledge puts the H33 count at 187... plus a few that were made from molds in the early 2000's?

Wanted to see if there was any help out there with this hull #...

Most of what I find is limited to the cats..

CCMM4202M83E

Thanks everyone
I think that may have been my dad's Hobie33. It was supposed to be #100 but the truck driver unloaded the wrong boat. The boat started life as Halfcat. PM me some pics inside and of the keel bulb and I can confirm if it is hull 102.

AzonicT27

This is a description from the previous listing about a year ago...

"This Hobie 33 is not built as a STANDARD CONSTRUCTION but as a “SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION” which includes “Delux Interior” - the hull I.D. number confirms this CCMM4202M83E. "

Apparently named "Spirit" at the time....

Knotacat

I have an excel file from the old Yahoo forum that shows CCMM4202M83E and it was listed under current name "Toxic Catfish" owned by Mike B. in Baltimore with a previous name "Fire Water" owned by Mark G. in Vermont. The sail number listed was 202, and it was listed as lift keel/deluxe interior (my boat HIN ends with M83H and it is also a lift keel/deluxe interior) On the old Yahoo forum there were several posts about HIN numbers and the confusion caused by them. I wish that forum had not been shut down as it had good info that is now lost. That said, I remember Fire Water sailing on Lake Champlain and I think she had a truss mast. There was also a Kiwi35 that may have had the truss mast I remember.

AzonicT27

I'm also going to ask for an education...
What exactly is different or what is the specifics of the "truss mast"?

Maker? Design?

Thanks

LakeBoy

Random Internet Guy
It's fun when you do the research...
So I'll have hull #202 of 187....lol
That presumes the proper decoding is "4" followed by a sequential three digit hull production count.

Could be 4100 + hull count however this seems unlikely as it was the second year of production.

Could be 4200 + hull count in which case you would have hull #2. Again seems a bit unlikely if they truly started production in 1982.

Could start with any other number
Could be a coded month & production number within that month

Builders have been known to fly a large sail number on early production and prototypes to have the appearance of substantial production before achieving it. (a bit like Silicon Valley start-ups claims) Not sure how they would reconcile if production actually got to #202.

Knotacat

I don't really remember too much about the "truss" mast - it was back in the 90's - seems so long ago. To be clear, as I thought about it, I really think it was on the Kiwi35. I never got a close look at it, but from a distance it looked like an erector set put together. Never saw another one, so it must have not been successful.