Hobie 33 - lifting v fixed keel

Delta Dog

Nor Cal
I'm interested in the boats for PHRF downwind fun but wondering if the lifting keel boats would hold up in gulf of the farallons type conditions?

I'm interested in the boats for PHRF downwind fun but wondering if the lifting keel boats would hold up in gulf of the farallons type conditions?
You do know what "they" say about lifting keels don't you

"If it ain't broke - Don't fix it"
ohmy.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Me thinks a glassed down retractable is best. Stronger than a fixed. The retractable version is of not much use unless you truly need it due to ramp launching only. Trailering a retractable keel with the keel wobbling in the well is not so great. I have a retractable Hobie 33 and after 2 years I glassed it down permanently. Robbie Roberson who made them agreed that if you are going to consider crossing ocean's in a 25+ year old fiberglass boat, you may want the extra structure of the retractable keel boats.

Delta Dog

Nor Cal
Me thinks a glassed down retractable is best. Stronger than a fixed. The retractable version is of not much use unless you truly need it due to ramp launching only. Trailering a retractable keel with the keel wobbling in the well is not so great. I have a retractable Hobie 33 and after 2 years I glassed it down permanently. Robbie Roberson who made them agreed that if you are going to consider crossing ocean's in a 25+ year old fiberglass boat, you may want the extra structure of the retractable keel boats.

If I hear you correctly, your saying the retractable structure is actually stronger?

What about weight? Are retractble boats heavier in any way?

SurfCityCatamarans

Super Anarchist
Santa Cruz
Do you have any pics of the glass work?

LakeBoy

Random Internet Guy

If I hear you correctly, your saying the retractable structure is actually stronger?

What about weight? Are retractble boats heavier in any way?
I believe retractable keels are the class standard. Later offered as a fixed keel to match retractable for OD racing.

Retractable will be fine for sure. Easy to throw on the trailer and get stuff fixed or travel. Great boats, 33Ft of fun. It will be fine in the waters there. The chainplates are an issue. They were made of aluminum and corrode allowing the support strut to pull through and mast to fall over while peeling the deck up. I make replacement ones out of stainless if you need them.

These things are a blast in a big swell and a blow.

Last edited by a moderator:

videorov

I would like to find a Hobie 33 in great shape with nice sails here in Florida.

Im in Bradenton, Fla but will be using it down in Saint James City Pine Island area.

If I hear you correctly, your saying the retractable structure is actually stronger?What about weight? Are retractble boats heavier in any way?
I believe retractable keels are the class standard. Later offered as a fixed keel to match retractable for OD racing.
you are right. The first hobie 33 s had a retractable keel. I have a boat that somebody Put in a lifting keel . I'm going to seal up the keel so it is a fixed, glassing in the keel on the bottom. It's a strut with a bulb..and no way to secure to the hull. I've been told that the lifting keel set up is heavier than a fixed keel due to the structure to hold the keel inside the boat.

In response to the sailor from Bradenton. Have a Hobie 33 in Palatka, Florida. Fixed keel. Good boat. Everything works. Call my son Jim Keeley 386-937-2468 (Cell) 386-326-1166 (Home). He's a Fed Ex Driver so be patient if he doesn't call you back real fast.

Thanks

Jim Keeley

561-625-4691 (Home)

I would like to find a Hobie 33 in great shape with nice sails here in Florida.

Im in Bradenton, Fla but will be using it down in Saint James City Pine Island area.
Have a fixed keel Hobie 33 that is in Palatka, Florida and we will be putting it on the market next week. For info call my son Jim Keeley at 386-937-2468 (cell) or 386-326-1166 (home). He's a Fed Ex driver so be patient if he doesn't call you back right away.

Thanks,

Jim Keeley

561-625-4691 (Home)

DRP

Back in 80's I had one of each. First the retractable, then the fixed keel version. The fixed seemed a bit stiffer and faster to me. I also liked the extra room below that the fixed keel boat provided. The fact that the fixed version did not have water and sea life accumulating in the well made me feel faster. I was fanatical about keeping the boat as light as possible. If I were to get another one, all else being equal, I would go fixed. In any case, booth were fun. Good luck.

Dan

LakeBoy

Random Internet Guy
I would like to find a Hobie 33 in great shape with nice new sails here in Florida.

Sent a PM to you. I have one for sale that meets two out of three criteria. It isn't in FL but could be, afterall, it has a trailer.