Hobie Magic 25 Running Rigging Diagram?

FLUFFY!!!

Howdy everyone,
I’ve recently acquired a Hobie Magic 25 from Texas that has quite the story behind it. Anyway, I’m curious if anyone knows of a rigging diagram for this boat? It would be beyond useful for getting it up and racing soon.

For those curious:

C814E638-5362-4EA3-B804-C7F1753DD414.jpeg

FDCC42B1-1C6B-4961-98C0-8155B0887D14.jpeg

3EEC6312-DAC8-416B-9FA7-E7813601ADE3.jpeg

51A2E0AC-6E2D-40A9-8FA9-D91701E83E72.jpeg

ABC27644-6936-46B9-9D1B-B446743DE254.jpeg

D9F16F64-4EC4-45DB-971F-026F5DA47505.jpeg

0175EA42-5D93-4B35-99BB-C03907CAE1ED.jpeg

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
Sailed these back in the day...the class run at the time by my mate....the now (in)famous Andrew"Dog" Palfrey on behalf of the notorious Ian "Basho" Bashford (RIP)...so much fun...great regattas held in unusual places, completely outside the formal structure of our sport...just friends sailing and racing and having fun. The whole idea was the definition of sailing "Anarchy"...good times.

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
That one is way out of the one-design class regs so a rigging diagram would be no use to you anyway.
The whole ethos behind the design was to keep it simple so just go with your instinct to start off with.
There’s a Kiwi on this site, Josh Tucker, but I can’t remember his handle. He works for North and is involved in the fleet down there, he may have something to help you. I cold do it if I was there but I’m not!
Make sure the diamonds are balanced and don’t worry about the amount of mast bend when you put the ram on, those masts are as bullet proof as the rest of the boat.
If you have an old,flat-top main then sack it off and get a recut one.

Australian Class Association

Hong Kong Class Association

Last edited:

FLUFFY!!!

That one is way out of the one-design class regs so a rigging diagram would be no use to you anyway.
The whole ethos behind the design was to keep it simple so just go with your instinct to start off with.
There’s a Kiwi on this site, Josh Tucker, but I can’t remember his handle. He works for North and is involved in the fleet down there, he may have something to help you. I cold do it if I was there but I’m not!
Make sure the diamonds are balanced and don’t worry about the amount of mast bend when you put the ram on, those masts are as bullet proof as the rest of the boat.
If you have an old,flat-top main then sack it off and get a recut one.

Australian Class Association

Hong Kong Class Association
I’m mostly trying to figure out the intended purchase systems and exits for the control lines that run under the deck inside the center console

Rushman

FIIGS
Melbourne, Aust
I’m mostly trying to figure out the intended purchase systems and exits for the control lines that run under the deck inside the center console
I have crawled under the floor replacing trapeze elastic but I don’t know the purchases for the different systems

From memory….
The blocks in front of the console are
pole out
tack out
You seem to be missing 2 cleats for these

The console
Cunningham
Boom Vang
??? The third cleat

Hope that helps

Josh Tucker is @BooBoo on this forum

FlyingCircus2

Congrats you picked up an awesome boat. I picked mine up a year ago, haven't raced it but its crazy fast in light air. This boat was way ahead of its time.

My mast is down right now because of a broken shroud, but I can send you detailed pictures of the riging when it's back up (hopefully soon!).

Ill send you a picture of the jib cars, too. They have two small blocks on them to get enough purchase on the jib sheet.

It looks like they did a lot of customization to yours: the keel looks like its steel (mine is aluminum), and they tried to add two rudders - I would suggest going back to one unless you're really handy. Apparently the rudders were small and the boats would broach easily. I think it's just as likely that nobody knew how to drive to an asymmetrical chute back then. I haven't been out in heavy air yet, so I can't say for sure. Guess i'll find out!

The traveler is an interesting idea, too. the OD specs have a strap between the two hard points at the stern with a ring in the middle which the main sheet fixes to. IDK what hobie have against travelers.

The trapezes attach to a ring welded onto the T-swedge of the middle shrouds.

There should be two cables about 4 feet long. They are used to hoist the mast. They attach to the gooseneck and the chain plates and they keep the mast from swinging to the side as you raise it. If you don't have them, I would highly recommend getting some made before you raise the mast. You may be able to fudge it with rope though.

Other than the support cables, the mast raises exactly like a flying scot.

In OD, the halyards are all two-to-one, tied at the top of the mast. I think you need to do that on the jib to get enough luff tension, but I don't think it's necessary on the main.

Make sure to check the main sail's luff track for dents or cracks before you step the mast. Mine was pretty busted up but I was able to bend it back into shape (mine is painted aluminum).

If you paint the hull, be careful to only add 1 coat to the keel. If you make the paint too thick, you won't be able to lift the keel up. Don't ask me how I know lol.

I'm planning on switching to a roller furling jib when I buy new sails. I think they leave the jibs up when they race OD, but I think i'd prefer to just roll it up.

Do you need measurements for the lines and pins? It's on my to-do list to write them all down before I lose them, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Also, do you have the boom?

PXL_20220905_161748543.jpg
PXL_20220905_161755469.jpg
PXL_20220905_161801489.jpg
PXL_20220905_161808800.jpg
PXL_20220905_161818914.jpg
PXL_20220905_161826215.jpg
PXL_20220905_161832495.jpg
PXL_20220905_161838972.jpg
PXL_20220905_161845546.jpg
PHRF CERTIFICATE.png

Last edited:

FlyingCircus2

For my own benefit as much as anyone elses:

Spreader pins: 1/4 in x 7/8 in

uppers pins: 5/16 in x 20mm (3/4 in)

mids pins: 15/64 x 3/4 in

lowers pins: 15/64 in x 3/4 in

Mast Pin:

15/32in x 2/5 in

(id replace it with one size narrower, it's a bitch to put in).

Stass

Boat
Congrats with ur boat! I have a magic 25 in Hong Kong also I recently bought... fun boats!
  1. Do you have a place yet of where to buy the sails? There are a few options, here we usually pick between North Sails, UK Sailmaker and Ian Short sails. All 3 have the sizes for magic 25.
  2. Magic setup booklet in attachment
  3. I noticed you do not have the side bars to help you from sliding down, these help a whole lot when racing:
    1665750149154.png
  4. Are you planning to hang 3 trapeze lines?
  5. Interesting that traveler... I have not seen that on any of our HK fleet magics.
  6. Some rigging ideas:
SHEETSDIAMETER (MM)LENGTH (M)QTYMATERIALEndOther end
Spinnaker sheets - continuous8301Spectra / Dyneema3 m tapered3 m tapered
Jib Sheets89.52Spectra / DyneemaTapered
Mainsheet8251Spectra / Dyneema2 m tapered, eye spliceStitched
CONTROL LINES
Tack line6151Spectra / Dyneema
Mainsheet bridle822DynexEye spliceEye splice
Vang strop 17?DynexEye spliceEye splice
Vang strop 26?DynexEye spliceEye splice
Vang strop 36?DynexEye spliceEye splice
Vang purchase 15?Spectra / Dyneema