HobieOne with Laser rigging

What classes use a Laser type mast and poly sail? Where can I get a used Kaser Hydro or poly sail to experiment with.

0C162F2D-2445-4926-9C7C-43602A5A8B10.jpeg

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Nice thread but full of testo no?
One I started and the Australian Skiff threads convinced me to purchase a skiff. Honestly the best fun I've had on a sailboat, better than ocean racing, the 505's I've had, several sport boats, and any keelboat previously raced like Mumm's, Farr's, Melges, and a myriad of other go fasts up and down the size ranges.

Amazed at how low fuss it is considering the speeds.

Problem with the foiling kits for regular boats is the boats start out too heavy and cannot foil upwind very well, if at all. I looked into it, about the best you can do is an RS Aero which weighs almost half what a Laser weighs. Much better off using a dedicated foiler.

The cheapest thing you can do to these boats to keep it in the price range you have in mind is when the current sails wear out, have two built that are square headed. It will reduce the wind range you want to take them out in but they will become much funner boats in sub-10kts. Keep the old sails around for going out in high wind when sail shape is not as important.

Wow, enlightening for sure.

My brilliant plan 🤓 is to add a 25sf- jib (12’ leech, 11.4’ luft and 4’ foot) to one of the boats (red bow)… An expensive, to me, option with jib (not me below) at $230, used&new rigging about $150~. These are arriving shortly so I’m all in so far. I’m 185 (down 40) so I should be able to hold this 5’ beam boat down in San Diego winds.

Right now? I’m trying to get the black epoxy rubbed to a deep black shine without cloudyness. Plus hammer the welder on the dual stack trailer.

2C5DAD16-B595-403C-88DD-6AC5EC7BA616.jpeg

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
You could pair the Ones with an RS Aero rig. Carbon two piece rigs with halyards and bolt ropes.
Lower sections for the 5/7/9 are 765/855/910 USD, top section is 720 USD, boom 695 USD, that does not include blocks, running rigging, gooseneck, etc. Easily exceeds the hopeful budget. I'm with ya though, either a C rig or an Aero rig would be fun. Might as well get a used one and stop the project though.

nota

Anarchist
I did that ten years ago

except the hobie was called a holder 12
same boat just who not what was different
hobie bought and renamed the holder 10 12 and 14ft boats
and I had a junk mast mostly fiberglass windsurfer bits
but a full laser boom sail ect

sailed well in a local lake
good balance pointed well turned and tracked good
sold to a coastie for his young kid for use in a back yard lake
one of my better franken boats

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
Lower sections for the 5/7/9 are 765/855/910 USD, top section is 720 USD, boom 695 USD, that does not include blocks, running rigging, gooseneck, etc. Easily exceeds the hopeful budget. I'm with ya though, either a C rig or an Aero rig would be fun. Might as well get a used one and stop the project though.
Yeah, that is outside the budget he had posted, but it is the best option for the boat.

CaptainAhab

Anarchist
South Australia
3m Perfect-it is the Auto version of the Marine 3m Finesse-it. You know which costs less.

I've been sailing Lasers for 30 years. I've sailed one of the Hobie's in light air on a lake about 20 years ago. There is no way I would put a full rig sail on the Hobie.

nota

Anarchist
What mast section will even fit in the mast step?
think I had a smaller tube in the boat then a bit bigger one
maybe sunfish mast or part of one
then a old f/g wind surfer top bit

there are the smaller kids rig sails for the laser if high winds
but most lakes here are inland low wind places mostly
and the full rig with my 150 lbs sailed fine in about 10k

New project… btw thanks for this forum.

I’ve come across (bought $250 ea) two HobieOne 12’s. I’m in painting right now but the plan is to power up to Laser Standard Sails (purchased, all in) with one getting a 25sf jib (RT From Sail Warehouse). Here are some photos…

Pray for this sinner. 😆

View attachment 531508

View attachment 531509

View attachment 531510

View attachment 531511

View attachment 531512
Update…

After just one outing on my landlords sunfish she bought for $400, I got the bug back. I wanted a small quick skiff type boat that I could overpower sailwise. Couldn’t afford an RS whatever but… I think I’ve got just the perfect match. I found a Hobie One monohull in Los Angeles and the owner was proposing I use it with a Laser Standard mast and boom. I said OK I’m game and paid $350 (w/a decent Laser mast and boom). An hour later I was on my way home to San Diego. It didn’t have a trailer so I went looking for one and lo and behold I found another Hobie One on a trailer, also $350. Done deal.

Since purchasing these two great 12’ hulls (5’ beam) I have outfitted them with laser standard sails, lines and rigging, one with a jib from Rolly Tasker. These Holders, designed by the late Ron Holder, we’re purchased by Hobie Alter to market as a monohull dinghy. They originally came with a tiny 68’ sail, probably so kids could learn and not capsize. In my mind, they failed in the long run because there wasn’t enough sail. As planned, I’ve bumped that to a tad over 100 sqft with future plans on going bigger if I’m able to singlehand 15 knots of wind speed.

I’ve painted both hulls black and tagged them with logos to give an America’s Cup look. One USA. One New Zealand. Both sail great. One with the jib and the one without as a novice buddy boat. Everyone at our bay asks “What are those?” Even a Moth guy. I converted the single boat trailer into a stacking double. It works just great as shown. Total project cost under $1,500.

7607D85E-F604-499A-9360-7AE326913268.jpeg

9B98FE51-88A5-4D77-BD66-DAB32AE8EF01.jpeg

33B8B90E-A837-4EC1-84EF-9CF8C7B79AA7.jpeg

2503731E-3410-448D-AEA5-D3DDD71DBE9D.jpeg

B000840F-AAB8-4044-B449-E0A2CB9F9055.jpeg

5FD1766E-A078-49D6-927D-1636152EA373.jpeg

Last edited:

CaptainAhab

Anarchist
South Australia
The full Laser rig has a fair amount of force. I'm very very surprised that the Hobie(68ft2) has such a large sail compared to the Laser full(76ft2), Laser radial(62ft2) & Byte (58ft2)

I sailed one of the Hobie's a few times when I was a kid. I don't recall it being very fast. Just looking at the photos, the mast step looks shorter than the Laser. The Laser's break their mast steps because the construction is was(still is ??) rubbish. Hopefully Hobie built a stronger one. Unfortunately, you can't see the step without installing an inspection port. Personally, I would and add some glass to the step. That's what we do with older Lasers.

In latest project news: we sailed in 12knots and I wouldn’t want a larger sail. It wasn’t impossible by any means but definitely. I’m learning how to balance the sails, daggerboard and main sheet to reduce an amateur level of weather helm. Will fix next outing, 😄