HobieOne with Laser rigging

Guywho

Ct shore
Great job on these - always nice to see a sailboat bright back to life. I enjoy my hobie holder 12 (owned by Coleman at the time of build) on a local lake in CT in original condition. Oddly enough there's another one on our small lake as well. Weather helm in a stiff wind is common for me but I also have squirrelly wind which means I'm hopping off and on the rail as it varies. I don't have a main sheet clete so happy I don't have a jib to manage. Still I think adding a job would make it even jumpier except maybe on a broad reach. Looks like you've secured your rudder and daggerboard but I hear about many who lose those in a capsize and that's the end of the boat value... At least for mere mortals who lack your skills in fabrication. Enjoy them!

Great job on these - always nice to see a sailboat bright back to life. I enjoy my hobie holder 12 (owned by Coleman at the time of build) on a local lake in CT in original condition. Oddly enough there's another one on our small lake as well. Weather helm in a stiff wind is common for me but I also have squirrelly wind which means I'm hopping off and on the rail as it varies. I don't have a main sheet clete so happy I don't have a jib to manage. Still I think adding a job would make it even jumpier except maybe on a broad reach. Looks like you've secured your rudder and daggerboard but I hear about many who lose those in a capsize and that's the end of the boat value... At least for mere mortals who lack your skills in fabrication. Enjoy them!

My daggerboard is secured to the boat by a bungee. I hadn’t thought of securing the rudder/tiller. Will consider a fix. Thank you, H

ortegakid

Super Anarchist
Whitesboro,TEXAS
HH, take the rudder off boat, unbolt blade, either redrill hole or refix blade with no rear ward cant, ie straight up and down, will correct all weather helm problems.
I affixed lines to pull the blade down and up, just as on my MX, even has a break away cleat if ground the blade on shore.

HH, take the rudder off boat, unbolt blade, either redrill hole or refix blade with no rear ward cant, ie straight up and down, will correct all weather helm problems.
I affixed lines to pull the blade down and up, just as on my MX, even has a break away cleat if ground the blade on shore.
Ok Derrick. I’ll check it again but I think the Hobie One rudder looks pretty vertical. I’ll take some photos today and post here.

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
I would not worry too much about the mast step unless you put a lot of righting moment on the boat. If the boat was built to handle a 100kg/220lb person hiking out on the side, no additional amount of sail area changes the force on the mast cup. The boat flips when the force on the sail is more than the force of weight on the rail. Basically more sail area means the boat can be flipped in lower wind assuming the sails are not eased.

Downwind is different, you could over power the build of the mast step on this point of sail as the only way the boat has to release the force on the sails is accelerating, rounding up, flipping onto a side, pitch poling, or breaking the step.

Looks vertical to me.

E7CD2290-AAF9-4CD5-9044-97BF9594F347.jpeg

FDDEC659-E368-4503-9EDA-BE7A475D1572.jpeg

ortegakid

Super Anarchist
Whitesboro,TEXAS
I actually made the second mast. Bought some 6061 T6 tubing ($180) of correct size and a mast/boom plastic kit ($135) from WestCoast Sailing. Works great.

I would not worry too much about the mast step unless you put a lot of righting moment on the boat. If the boat was built to handle a 100kg/220lb person hiking out on the side, no additional amount of sail area changes the force on the mast cup. The boat flips when the force on the sail is more than the force of weight on the rail. Basically more sail area means the boat can be flipped in lower wind assuming the sails are not eased.

Downwind is different, you could over power the build of the mast step on this point of sail as the only way the boat has to release the force on the sails is accelerating, rounding up, flipping onto a side, pitch poling, or breaking the step.
and i was thinking about that also, could use some side shrouds, not really under tension, just as preventers down wind..

Enialb2

Regarding weather helm on a laser. Try this on your boat, it's free and it might get you closer to your goal.

1. Keep the boat dead flat. Once you think you're flat, you probably have 3-5 degrees of heel. Flatter.
2. If you can't keep the boat flat, depower the sails and hike harder.
3. If you still can't keep the boat flat, ease sheet just enough so that you can.
4. Look back at your tiller, if it is perfectly centered, that's proof that you're flat and you have very little helm
5. Add telltales. https://internationalsailingacademy.com/telltale-placement/

CaptainAhab

Anarchist
South Australia
My latest goal is understanding weather helm, sail, Cunningham, daggerboard and outhaul trimming to elevate some fierce weatherhelm. 🤪
Weather helm is mostly caused by not sailing flat. The more the boat heels the worse the rudder performs. Other than using the controls to depower the rig to the point that the hull is not heeling, there is nothing those controls will do to improve weather helm. The hiking strap is the solution to weather helm. Sit at max beam all the time and hike when necessary to keep it dead flat. It looks like it's got a swept back rudder similar to the Laser. They are more susceptible to weather helm when they are heeled.

Xeon

Super Anarchist
England
Really glad your having fun , which is always the bottom line .😀
But just about everything in your picture is a dogs breakfast. 😕

Latest posts